District Chief

Default Live Oak House burns twice in one night

House catches fire twice in one night

Author: Vanessa Fultz, Democrat Reporter
    Publication Date: 2005-07-22

A house at 1901 Cottage Ave. in Maner Manor off SR 51 owned by Ruth Fekule burned extensively Wednesday night. No one was hurt.

According to Live Oak Fire Department reports, Fekule's house caught fire around 6 p.m. while she was cooking. LOFD responded and put the fire out that was coming from the stove. Fire personnel also went into the attic to extinguish any fire that may have gone up through the ceiling.

LOFD Fire Chief Chad Croft said personnel extinguished the fire, pulled the electric meter and remained on the scene for an hour.

A few hours later, the fire rekindled and LOFD responded again. This time the fire was in full force.

State Fire Marshall investigator Chris Scovotto said that though the investigation is pending, it appears either some papers in the attic above the kitchen stove were smoldering and rekindled the fire or the fire was hidden in the soffit area above the cabinets.

Scovotto said there was also combustible material in the attic.

Croft said the 2,000 square foot, three bedroom, two bathroom house was burned beyond repair. The brick is still standing, but the trusses were weakened extensively, he said.

Croft expects the inspector to condemn the house.

Fekule was fully insured, investigators said.

Fekule and her mother were in the house when it caught fire the first time, but were staying at the Best Western when the fire rekindled.

Eleven city fire fighters and five fire vehicles responded to the fire, as well as Suwannee County Fire/Rescue and the Live Oak Police Department.

Vanessa Fultz may be reached by calling 1-386-362-1734 ext. 130 or by emailing vanessa.fultz@gaflnews.com.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Bummer. I gotta wonder what was going through the FF's head when they heard the address the second time.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Thread Information