MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ohio Public Employees Retirement Service for Part-time Firefighters

Does anyone have information on why Part-time Firefighters are the only part-time employees now excluded from OPERS?
    Is there any possibilities of this exclusion going away?

Forum Member

If I remember right, back in the 80's just about all the paid-on-call and part-time firefighters in the state were in the system. The large number of people with small contributions vs. benefits payouts was hurting the system so the state no longer allowed part-timers to join the system.

MembersZone Subscriber

i know that Volunteer Firefighters are in PERS and i dont understand that either, seems to me that they should all be under OP&F but then the union guys would have a fit!!!!!!
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

MembersZone Subscriber

Default EMS only people are still in PERS, but firefighters aren't

I'm not sure when it was, but I think it was in the early to mid 90's when the system changed. I was in PERS at the time, and opted to stay in, but all new people had to be in social security. Once I switched departments, I had to go into social security. What's odd is that if you are EMS only, you are still in PERS. So, on one of my departments, if I cover for the full-time medic or run a weekend medic shift, I contribute to PERS, but if I were to cover for one of the full-time firefighters, I'd be contributing to social security.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Forum Member

It was either 91 or 92 when it was changed. What I was told by OPERS is that they have POlice and Fire for FF's to get into (even though it's only for full time employees) but if you are classified as EMS only you can still contribute to OPERS......... I wish it would change back...
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

77 your correct it was in 1992, the combo dept. i worked for in marion had to transfer all the PT members to social security, and we could either take a lump sum or roll it over to another retirement if we had 1 to roll into, i didn't so i took the payout, however we had a PT guy whose full time job was at a MR/DD facility he got to stay in. he was the only exception. I thopught it sucked then, because when i went to the volly dept. they still paid PERS. State of Ohio go figure.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firedan38
    77 your correct it was in 1992, the combo dept. i worked for in marion had to transfer all the PT members to social security, and we could either take a lump sum or roll it over to another retirement if we had 1 to roll into, i didn't so i took the payout, however we had a PT guy whose full time job was at a MR/DD facility he got to stay in. he was the only exception. I thopught it sucked then, because when i went to the volly dept. they still paid PERS. State of Ohio go figure.
    Actually, I believe, if you were already in OPERS for the FD when the law changed in 92 you could still stay in if you wanted to. We had a few people who chose to stay in and are still in it today.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

however we had a PT guy whose full time job was at a MR/DD facility he got to stay in. he was the only exception.
    Hey Firedan38.. do I know you? That explained my situation exactly... I got to remain in PERS since I was currently employed by ODMR/DD....
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

dont think so metal, the friend i knew worked for MARCA in Marion county,

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Who is interested in having OPERS?

If you are interested in OPERS, please feel free to e-mail me your contact information. This is not a petition, just a statement of interest. I am setting up several meetings with local and state politicians to see if we can enact a change in the laws to allow part-time and volunteer FFs into OPERS. If I need a petition in the future, I will contact you using your contact information.
    To e-mail my firehouse account just double click on my log in "ffbasic850" , one of the options is to send me an e-mail.
    Thanks.
    I have noticed a lot of people have viewed this thread but not posted a reply.

MembersZone Subscriber

i beleive the volunteers are still in OPERS, when I left 1st Consolidated in Marion County they were opers for the vollies and OP&F for the full time. it might have changed but i doubt it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question So far my research shows:

In the Ohio Revised Code and Ohio Administrative Code only refers to Full-time and Volunteer Firefighters, in regards to OPERS. The definition by the State of "Volunteer Firefighter" is any firefighter not a full-time fighter eligible for Ohio Police and Fire Retirement.

Also only Firefighters working in ?1992? were gven the choice to stay in OPERS or go into Social Security. But anyone hired after is relegated to SS.

Also some further research found that the ORC and OAC has a section in regards to insurance. Stating that insurance companies can't increase your premiums if you are involved in an MVA while fulfilling your duties (unless your personal vehicle or if you were drunk or intoxicated). Except the definition of "Firefighter" eliminates unpaid volunteers, you have to be regularly paid. So Full-time firefighters are protected but not Volunteers?

I am planning to meet with several state politicians to see if we can get these laws cleared up.

Forum Member

dont think so metal, the friend i knew worked for MARCA in Marion county,
    MARCA... sounds like a County MR/DD... I worked for the State of Ohio DMR/DD at the Apple Creek Developmental Center...
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information