District Chief

Default Jackson Count Emergency Manager: "I have degrees--give me a raise."

Emergency manager seeks salary increase

Douglas Grant
    Jackson County Floridan
    July 27, 2005

Citing his military experience and possession of several college degrees, Jackson County's director of emergency management has asked the Board of County Commissioners to increase his annual salary from $36,000 to $44,000.
    The request also included an additional $4,000 annually for the office of emergency management assistant, Rene Spurlock.

And if either or both requests are approved, there will be no additional cost the county taxpayers.

Speaking before the board during a budget workshop Tuesday, Rodney Andreasen told the members that his research has found others in his position in surrounding counties being paid more, even though they may have less than a four-year college degree,

In one instance, he told of an emergency manager in a surrounding county, which he declined to name, who possesses only a two-year degree and is paid $52,000.

Andreasen said it would not be unreasonable for the county to pay for his talent, years of experience and education. He told the board that he had spent 16 years achieving his five academic degrees, and that was "expensive" in both time and money.

He also said the government had spent millions of dollars training him during his 21-year tenure in the United States Air Force.

Andreasen told the board that he truly enjoyed his position and being the emergency management director of Jackson County.

"I love my job. This is my home," he said. "And I love working for this board."

But, he said his job is a very stressful one, working with all the different agencies, and he doesn't believe he is adequately compensated.

"If I make the wrong decision, somebody dies." he told the board.

He said he had a desire to do the best job he can, but "that desire doesn't pay the bills."

While he fell short of threatening to leave, Andreasen told the board that he has been offered at least three other positions in emergency management in his five-year tenure, one coming as recently as a week ago. He did not say from which jurisdictions those offers came.

Andreasen said he didn't want to leave Jackson County, but he didn't know how much longer he could say "no" to other offers.

He told board members that their approval of his request would cost no more in county tax dollars as the money is already in his budget from state and federal dollars. He is simply seeking approval to move those funds into the salary category.

The board is expected to consider Andreasen's request at a planned budget workshop dealing with salaries this Thursday. There was no indication from the members on how they might act on this.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

T.O. could have even more ammo if he had 5 degrees!.. his pay does sound kinda low

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face Low pay

As more counties around Jackson become FireRescue he may have to move like FireMeds are doing the way thy are going they'll be BLS.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

I don't think he should get a raise BECAUSE of his degrees, but his pay does seem pretty low considering the job. And if he's making several thousand less than others in the area who are doing the same job...
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fyrguy28
    Jackson County was the first fire dept I worked for. Nobody in the entire county makes any money, It is a small minded community where if you want to make something of yourself or to put into your bank account you have to leave.
    They need to join the rest of us in the 21st century.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information