Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default SUNSTAR Ambulance Struck by Jeep (Pinellas County)

hurt as ambulance hits Jeep
    The FHP says the Jeep's driver ran through a red light, causing the wreck.
    By RICHARD DANIELSON, Times Staff Writer
    Published July 28, 2005

---------------------------------

PALM HARBOR - An ambulance rushing to an emergency broadsided a Jeep that ran a red light, sending three people to the hospital Wednesday, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. The ambulance was headed north on Belcher Road with its lights and sirens on about 9 a.m., Highway Patrol Community Service Officer Tom Marten said. It was being driven by Sunstar emergency medical technician Jack L. Hennes, 29, of Largo, and was not carrying a patient.

As the ambulance approached Belcher's intersection with Nebraska Avenue, the signal for north-south traffic gave the ambulance a green left-turn arrow, witnesses told Marten. The ambulance moved into the left-turn lane, and, as it reached the intersection, the signal turned green for north-south traffic.

The ambulance was moving into the intersection when an eastbound 1999 Jeep Cherokee driven by Michele M. Kelley, 36, of Palm Harbor ran the red light, Marten said. The ambulance struck the Jeep on the passengers' side and both vehicles ended up near the northeastern corner of the intersection.

Hennes, Kelley and Kelley's son, 23-month-old Zachary Kelley, were taken to Mease Countryside Hospital, Marten said. None suffered life-threatening injuries.

"They were all talking and sore" at the time they were transported, Marten said.

All three were treated and released by early Wednesday afternoon, Mease spokesman Matt Novak said.

Kelley, who was cited in the accident, said she was on her way to teach aerobics at the Countryside Country Club and had just dropped off her 5-year-old daughter Danielle at Bible camp. Approaching Belcher on Nebraska, she saw a green light, she said.

"The next thing I know there was an ambulance right on top of me," she said. She said she didn't hear the ambulance until an instant before it hit her.

"I don't want people to think that I'm running red lights with my kid in the car," she said. "Even (with) a yellow light, I don't usually press the gas."

A Sunstar paramedic, Mike Blight, 39, of Tarpon Springs, was not injured. The airbags in the ambulance did not deploy in the collision.

"That is something that we are looking into," said Mark Postma, chief operating officer for Sunstar Paramedics.

The Jeep was a total loss, Marten said.

Damage to the ambulance, a 2004 Ford, was probably between $10,000 and $15,000, but "these units are $100,000, so to try to (make) an estimate is pretty difficult at this time," Postma said.

Times researcher Caryn Baird contributed to this report.

[Last modified July 28, 2005, 01:09:17]
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

WOW! Didnt hear anything about that.

No kidding they better look into why the airbags didnt deloy. Ill have to check on that Thursday (my next Sunstar shift). Not that I really expect to find an answer.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber firepimp's Avatar

Dave awesoem didnt know you worked at sunstar my ex chief works there and a good buddy of mine fred b. , Once I get through emt school , I hope to work there and get a jump start my other bud kevin s. works there also both firefighters out of my station.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Quote Originally Posted by firepimp
    Dave awesoem didnt know you worked at sunstar my ex chief works there and a good buddy of mine fred b. , Once I get through emt school , I hope to work there and get a jump start my other bud kevin s. works there also both firefighters out of my station.

Well, I dont know if "work" is the right word. More like "employed".

Fred B? Hmmmm, sounds like the Fred B I know that works there. Ive known him for about, oh, 20 years. We used to work together at my FD.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

lol next time you see fred as in a jokingly manner soem things he lieks to hear that would make him laugh.

In wierd voice say " I love cream soda or tater tots "

Or So howed your reverse zabidah go today lol.

Or the best of all " No seriously Shutup Stupid " and say it in a monotone voice.

That'll give him a chuckle .

And I'm sure you know kevin as well , anytime you see kevin call him stewy or stuart . I gave him that nickname lol. He'll answer to it everytime and actually loves the name dunno why . Stewy's one of my fav. probi's on the department he's a paramedic , and I'm a fireman learning medical side . Works out great for us both he teachs me I teach him.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Quote Originally Posted by firepimp
    lol next time you see fred as in a jokingly manner soem things he lieks to hear that would make him laugh.

In wierd voice say " I love cream soda or tater tots "

Or So howed your reverse zabidah go today lol.

Or the best of all " No seriously Shutup Stupid " and say it in a monotone voice.

That'll give him a chuckle .

And I'm sure you know kevin as well , anytime you see kevin call him stewy or stuart . I gave him that nickname lol. He'll answer to it everytime and actually loves the name dunno why . Stewy's one of my fav. probi's on the department he's a paramedic , and I'm a fireman learning medical side . Works out great for us both he teachs me I teach him.
    I keep asking Fred to let me know next time they do a house burn up there. He keeps forgetting (I hope not on purpose).

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

We don't do house burns anymore , well at least havn't had one in a year since I've been here , we do have a burn building at the trainign center though that we train in when we get together and trian there , also do trianign in the smoke tower as well.

Thread Information