Forum Member

Default Calgary Arson???

Arson unit investigates recycling plant fire

POSTED AT 4:49 PM Sunday, August 7

Calgary firefighters were very busy over the weekend. Early sunday morning, a recycling plant went up in flames.

Flames stretched into the night sky at Metro Waste Paper Recovery. Fire crews were called out just before 4:30 Sunday morning. When they arrived at the scene, they were confronted by a 100m long fire. Paper bales and other recyclable materials provided ample fuel for the blaze. Fire crews had all they could handle with the two alarm fire.

Strong wind and limited fire hydrants hindered efforts to control the fire. It was still burning, hours later. The arson unit is investigating, since no-one was at the recycling plant when the fire started.

Now a second business has gone up in smoke beside the original fire......hmmm arson or embers?
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

MembersZone Subscriber

Now a second business has gone up in smoke beside the original fire......hmmm arson or embers?

Dave, when you say another business has gone up in smoke beside the original, did you meant that it was next to the original fire building? If so, it might simply be a case of radiated heat catching the second building on fire, which happens quite frequently. On the other hand, if this was a fire that was located some distance away and there seems no possible way that it could have been started by the first...well, then that's a different story. I'm curious to hear more about the circumstances.
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

I am not 100% sure on distance - news report said it was very close (beside). The original fire was contained Sunday afternoon, then at 4am this morning, boom up goes the next building!

The original fire was in a paper recycling plant and on the video there was a lot of embers flying. However witnesses did see a vehicle leave the scene just before the second fire????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave404
    The original fire was in a paper recycling plant and on the video there was a lot of embers flying. However witnesses did see a vehicle leave the scene just before the second fire????

Don't look at me- I was on a plane coming home!
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

From what I saw on the news the second business was ~3 blocks south of the first, (4646 Builders vs 49something same street). Then again, these places are huge and take up many blocks.

And yesterday morning it was brutally windy. I drove by the site of the first fire before going home from work that day, and the debris was tumbling into one of the lots used by Macdonalds Consolidated (Safeway) off Manitou. There was a pump and bush buggy there handling that part. I myself wouldn't be surprised if it was blowing around elsewhere, but I would prefer to leave it to FPB and Arson to decide. I'm just a dispatcher, and as they say, my opinions are my own, not anyone else's...
    --jay.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay911
    From what I saw on the news the second business was ~3 blocks south of the first, (4646 Builders vs 49something same street). Then again, these places are huge and take up many blocks.

And yesterday morning it was brutally windy. I drove by the site of the first fire before going home from work that day, and the debris was tumbling into one of the lots used by Macdonalds Consolidated (Safeway) off Manitou. There was a pump and bush buggy there handling that part. I myself wouldn't be surprised if it was blowing around elsewhere, but I would prefer to leave it to FPB and Arson to decide. I'm just a dispatcher, and as they say, my opinions are my own, not anyone else's...
    Awww come on Jay, your more than a dispatcher, your a person with feelings

Yeah Im sure FPB will find something - I would find it interesting if emberes started the second blaze - oh well watch the news in the morning and see if another business goes up!

MembersZone Subscriber

Eno that is a nice pic of Stn. 8.........
    Dave Burn
    (EMT-P Student)
    Effort only fully releases it's reward on someone who refuses to quit!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default fire Inspection SOG

I am looking for some SOGs in the area of fire inspections and non compliance to requests by the fire inspector to abide by the fire code. Does anybody have SOGs they go by or do they treat each inspection on an individual basis?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by byochim
    I am looking for some SOGs in the area of fire inspections and non compliance to requests by the fire inspector to abide by the fire code. Does anybody have SOGs they go by or do they treat each inspection on an individual basis?
    Byochim - not sure I understand your question. When we do fire inspections for businesses we follow the fire code. Are you a safety codes officer?

In Alberta the fire code dictates what needs to be inforced, we have made up a sheet with the usual infractions on it with a space at the bottom to make additional comments. The fire code of course works hand in hand with the building code so we work from both sides.

For more information I would contact your local fire school, or check with your provincial fire inspector. Im not sure if you have a provincial inspector, but if you do it is worth while to go and observe some inspections.

Thread Information