MembersZone Subscriber

Default Nothing Is Impossible...nothing!

Brothers...

I am living proof here today that is possible to get on a FD that has been deemed one of the impossibles.

I just received the letter I've been waiting for. I report to the academy Aug. 22nd to my dream job! While I have been a firefighter for many years, this is the greatest thing to happen to me in my career as a firefighter.

I had quite a bit of things stacked against me: I'm 33, I live over 300 miles away from where I want to be, and city employes have priority to be appointed to the fire department. Ironicly, this being my dream job, it was the very first time I had the opportinity to test there. I ranked high enough where I had a chance.

The entrance list expiration date was appoaching. "Rumors" of one last class before it is up. Then, the best Fathers Day gift ever! We were out of town over that weekend, and we got home late that Sunday night. I was the first to the mailbox. I pulled the mail out and this envelope fell to the ground face down. I picked it up, flipped it over and saw the return address. I was in shock and awe. I remember my wife saying "I suppose thats 'THE letter' !" I just looked at her and smiled. Finally, after jumping through all the hoops of chief's interviews, physicals, and the hurry up and waiting my day has arrived.

I have many people on these threads to thank for that. Some, no longer visit us here, but reading Capt. Bob's posts and even skimming thru his websire helped me with my biggest problem... The dreaded interviews! I have always done my best to stay fit, but buying Capt. Stefano's "Firefighter Workout Book" and visiting his website also helped me get that extra edge.

So...those of you who are looking to get in your dream job that people say is "impossible" to get in....keep a clean life style, do everything you can to get the minimum requirements, push harder to exceed those requirements, and listen to the advice of EXPERIENCED people like Capt. Bob and Capt. Stefano.

A big thanks to StLRes2cue. I owe you more than a few cold ones. We have never met face to face, but he has helped me keep my chin up and not to get discouraged...."It is always the darkest right before the sunrise." You said it Brother!

For the rest I failed to mention..I owe a great deal to all of you. Thank you all.

fieldseng2

Forum Member

Hey bro.. congrats on finally getting the chance to live your dream! I hope everything turns out to be just what you expected. Good Luck and Good job keeping your chin up and knowing that, in the end, everything will work out! Congrats!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default where are you going

Which department did you get?

Oh yeah heading for St louis. Good luck in the Academy there. I start in Noblesville on Oct 3. I too lived out of state and over 300 miles from there and still managed to somehow rank #1 on their list. I can't wait.
    Last edited by chrnea; 08-09-2005 at 10:26 PM. Reason: never mind I remember now.
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

Forum Member

What dept. did you get hired on,just curious.

Permanently Removed

Thanks fot the good news...Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys.....Noblesville is a good dept. (that whole area is nice).

Sorry..I was so excited I thought I said were I was going:

New FD : St. Louis Fire Department!!
    Last edited by fieldseng2; 08-10-2005 at 08:38 AM.

Forum Member

Default Welcome to the Fire Service

fieldseng2 & chrnea

Thank you for sharing your journey and letting us be part of your pursuit.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

congrats brother! i too have recently started my dream job (8/1). good luck and stay safe!

Thread Information