MembersZone Subscriber

Default Liuetenant vs Captian pay

Our department did away with the Lt. test. All new officers are now Capts. The older officers who are Lts. do exactly the same job as the new Capts., but recieve a lower pay grade.
    Has anyone out there seen a situation like this?
    Thanks.

Forum Member

What did the local say about that? Seems as if the department did away with the rank than the Lt's. would become captains and receive that level of pay.

MembersZone Subscriber

What did the local say about that?

Flame, that's what I wanted to ask. I couldn't imagine anything like that happening at my department, but anything is possible in the grand scheme of things.

I've never heard of anything like this happening in the fire service, however the Sheriff's department where I live did do away with the rank of Corporal a few years ago. They didn't take pay away, but did "demote" those guys to 'deputy'.
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

What does your collective agreement say? Managment can do whatever they like in the short run, But at the end of the day if its not in that collective agreement you have a good case to win it in arbitration. I realize laws are different down there, and some places don't even have collective agreements. But if you do, you can make them stick to it. Unless ofcourse you mutually agree to it. I'm sure your executive is on top of this matter.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

The Capts. used to be officers on rescue trucks and had district responsibilities. Lts. were officers on engines.
    A new Chief decided to flatten the organization and combine the jobs into one description and eliminate the Lt. test. Now all engine, rescue, and truck company officers are Lt/Capt....same job description.
    My station has 2 ( A and B shift) shifts with Capts. and one (C) shift with a Lt. Lts. and people who act for Lts. receive less pay.
    The Lt. on shift C was once on the Capt. list for promotion years ago.
    Lts. are also officers on trucks and rescue units. They are often IC at fires while other Capts. are present.
    The Lt. at my station would like to grieve this with the city for back wages and future pension gains.
    Thanks.

Forum Member

So what is different in the job description between a LT and a Capt?

By the by, I'm not sure how it works there, but here the duties and qualifications of any position within the bargaining unit has to be negotiated between management and the union. They can't arbitrarily do anything outside of what it says in the collective agreement
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke20286
    So what is different in the job description between a LT and a Capt?

By the by, I'm not sure how it works there, but here the duties and qualifications of any position within the bargaining unit has to be negotiated between management and the union. They can't arbitrarily do anything outside of what it says in the collective agreement
    Ditto.

I dont understand how they can eliminate a position but still have people in it.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Sounds kinda like they didn't eliminate the position so to speak, they just made it so that anybody who tests for that particular job from now on automatically becomes a captain. They're sort of grandfathering the current Lt's (or so it sounds). That is kind of strange though, and the guys who are still currently Lt's definately have a strong case for either promotion or back wages.
    IAFF - Fire/EMS

Thread Information