MembersZone Subscriber

Default AFG 2005 for PPE

Our department recently applied for a PPE grant for AFG. We have not received the questionaire yet. Is this a bad thing? We are in desparate need of new gear. All the stuff we have is 20 years old or more. I had some help from a dept. that got a PPE grant last year. I know that things are behind but everything I heard was that if we were asking for PPE then we were a shoe in. Any body got any suggestions or thoughts. THANKS!!!

Forum Member

We applied for a thermal imaging camera, portable radios, scba and brush fire/extrication jumpsuits. We have not heard anything from FEMA so far, but at this point, no news is still good news.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, I am under the impression that one of our firemen applied for the AFG grant last year but could not remember any of the information. We never got anything back from them, no dear john or anything. When I applied for this year I used a whole new log in. Will this hurt us?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No, they track apps by your DUNS number that you had to enter. The apps are grouped by login so you can see all apps ever done by that login, but that's just because they assume either the same person will be doing them, or a group is involved and someone will always be back the next year. And you did get something back last year, I'm going to say a DJ since they would have tried harder to contact you if you were going to be awarded. Sometimes people have their spam filters set too stringently and such emails never get read. For awards they email all addresses, then work all phone numbers.

And no, asking for PPE does not make you a shoe-in by any stretch of the guidelines. There is no piece of equipment that exists that can guarantee someone an award. Are there some that are higher priority than others? Sure are, but as has been suggested many times over in these forums by myself and others, and will be harped on in my next article on Firehouse.com, use a spell checker and an English teacher when writing your narrative. The peer reviewers try really hard to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but when the American English version of the language is butchered beyond recognition and your reasoning is very unclear, they can't help but score it low. And don't take that personally, just making a general statement. I know 3 software languages better than the English one, and never saw an A in any English class, which is why I rely heavily on grammer and spell checkers. And I re-read all applications (my own department's and my clients') at least 4 times after I think I'm done with it.

And it's not just narrative anyway. I won't rehash, but check my latest article for a more complete explanation of how the entire application is scored. Everything you enter has a weighted value. It's not as simple as choosing a certain piece of equipment.

But most importantly, don't give up hope, it's still early in the game. The first round will only contain 1,400 of the close to 5,400 awards planned for the year. The folks just getting their questions and 1199As in the past 2 weeks might only add up to just over 2,000 pre-notifications. Plenty of time left. Well, plenty of awards left, all notifications good or bad will be made by Sept 30th.

Good luck and keep your fingers crossed. - Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

Thumbs up What's next?

I have recieved the two emails for our FEMA grant, what will be the next step? We are in new ground after being rejected the last two years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pikehole25
    I have recieved the two emails for our FEMA grant, what will be the next step? We are in new ground after being rejected the last two years.
    What did the emails say?

Forum Member

Department of Homeyland Santa is in town. the 1199A came today. Very different way than we were contacted in 2003, but then again that was FEMA.

Good luck in the Lottery all...

Forum Member

I'm in on the PPE crew...applied for PPE and a bunch of other stuff, no word yet. It makes me feel a bit better to see that everyone else has heard nothing yet as well. Is is possible they are "grouping" items a bit better this year, since we know apparatus is coming (primarily) in the first round or two?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by usmsmedic
    Department of Homeyland Santa is in town. the 1199A came today. Very different way than we were contacted in 2003, but then again that was FEMA.
    Actually most of the same people are there. All they did was move a block on the Big Ol' Org Chart.

They're not really grouping anything other than trying to get the highest scoring truck awards up closer to the front since they take the longest to spec and build. It just seems that way because of who belongs and posts here. For every person posting there are about 100 lurkers just hanging out.

Forum Member

One was the 1199A the other was the 10 questions....this is a good thing? Right?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Absolutely. On the road to an award. Of course this road appears to be a limited access roadway with all lanes closed right now...

MembersZone Subscriber

BC79er, quick question re: PPE. I applied for 29 sets of t/o gear. If awarded what happens if we no longer have 29 members?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

At the rate they're going, you may have 29 again by the time you can spend the money.

Anyway, since you had 29 at application time, and by-laws allow at least 29 members, and you have up to 12 months from the date of official notification to spend the money, you can do one of two things: either buy everyone else's PPE and wait to see if you get any new members. Or, just buy the sets for the current members, and use the extra to buy something else, within the $5K limit on the original intent, or Fire Prevention.

Forum Member

Question What's next then?

Like I said we received the 1199A and the ten questions....are we in the race still if so what is the next step? We have been rejected the last two years and are looking for some guidence. Do we make phone calls to start getting solid quotes?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yes. Based on the continued sending of the ?s and the 1199As, it looks like the first round will be over 2000 awards, so whether that's the 19th or 26th, you'll have your official notification then, at which point you can immediately request funds for purchases, so I would definitely get solid quotes. And don't forget, you're a cash customer, so prices should be lower than what you were quoted last time by the time you're done making phone calls.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Yes. Based on the continued sending of the ?s and the 1199As, it looks like the first round will be over 2000 awards, so whether that's the 19th or 26th, .
    . . . or the 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th . . .

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, 5 chances to be bummed in September!!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Wouldn't the 30th be fun? That's the deadline for ALL notifications to be done. Despite the backups the good people in DC say they are going to meet that goal come OMB or high water. Hence the reason behind the continued notifications despite there being no announcements. Hopefully everyone realizes the delay is out of their hands and they're doing their best to keep forward progress.

MembersZone Subscriber

......all notifications good or bad will be made by Sept 30th.

At this point, I am not even sure that the first round will be announced by then.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well that's the good thing about it, they can email all of the questions and 1199As to those on the awards list whether or not they can make the public announcement, so even if people can't touch the money, they'll at least know and be able to start working on the 2006 project and all of the required legwork for that.

MembersZone Subscriber

But most importantly, don't give up hope, it's still early in the game. The first round will only contain 1,400 of the close to 5,400 awards planned for the year. The folks just getting their questions and 1199As in the past 2 weeks might only add up to just over 2,000 pre-notifications. Plenty of time left. Well, plenty of awards left, all notifications good or bad will be made by Sept 30th.

Good luck and keep your fingers crossed. - Brian

Brian, Are you saying that the notifications for all Awards rounds will be made by September 30th, or Just the first round?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

All DJs, all award announcements will be made by Sept 30th. That's the plan, which is why they are sending out the 1199As and ?s like mad. There will only be 2 rounds of DJs this year, the first one either last week in August or 1st week of September, and then the last one at the end of September. 1st DJ round will be those that didn't make it to Peer Review, which to take as a learning experience means: the calculated cost-benefit of the project against the program priorities was not very high. In which case, drop me a line, this is where I work the most magic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Will we for sure get the 1199a and the 10 questions via email? We have a problem with stuff getting lost through the snail mail when it gets to city hall. I don't want to miss out on the letters.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Yes, you will get e-mails, both at your own e-mail address and at the application's mail center. Snail mail is a last resort.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They won't send by snail mail, they'll be working the phone numbers long before that if they don't receive anything back by email.

Thread Information