Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Arrow FF1/FF2 CERTS - What else is good to have?

Greetings,

I am fairly new to the EMS service - my past expierence has been with the State Corrections and with a Tribal Police Dept. I have been becoming more and more interested in the EMS and Fire side of Emergency Services and recently obtained my EMT-B cert.

I am currently dispatching for a local FD here and would like to know what Fire Science classes would be good to have along with the FF1/2 needed to join a FD.

Also some folks have recommend NOT taking these types of classes at the Community College Level, as some of the FD's tend to not take you as seriously as if you had taken the FF1/2 through an actual FD.

And yes I get grief from both sides - the old PD brothers and the EMS/Fire folks I now work with!
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Shawn:

Do you have an idea about what department(s) you would like to work for? If so then ask the members there for advice because each department is different.

Fire Science courses are a great way to go, IMHO, if you have the time. A BS would be great or an Associates. As to specific courses it depends on what you want out of them? Fire behavior? With experience in the PD are you interested in Arson investigation?

One final note: write an email to several colleges with fire science programs and ask them what course sequence they reccomend.

Best of luck to you!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

While the FF1 and FF2 classes are national level classes, many other fire courses and requirements vary from state to state. Take all the classes you can. Every class you take will only help to build your resume, whether it's a class taken at the local college or through a fire department.

Shawn:

Don't take classes to build your resume. Take them to learn just as you did when you received your EMT. There are a lot of people with armfulls of certificates that have yet to learn what side of the body an airpack goes on - so take them to learn.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackTee09
    Shawn:

Don't take classes to build your resume. Take them to learn just as you did when you received your EMT. There are a lot of people with armfulls of certificates that have yet to learn what side of the body an airpack goes on - so take them to learn.
    Jack - I agree with you!

I am going to get my FF 1-2 and try to get on as a FF with the FD I am with now. I want to learn the basics then see which route to pursue i.e. arson investigations etc.

thanks for everyones input.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Although I am still a probie myself and have not had any FF 1 or FF2 classes yet ( start the end of this year ). I BELIEVE in Michigan at least you have to have something like FF1, Hazmat Ops, Incident Command to be a TRUE firefighter, but I am not 100% certain about that yet. But might give you some ideas of some other classes to take.

Andy
    EMT-B
    Garfield Twp. Fire Department
    http://www.garfieldfire.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSTONER
    Also some folks have recommend NOT taking these types of classes at the Community College Level, as some of the FD's tend to not take you as seriously as if you had taken the FF1/2 through an actual FD.

When I went took Fire Science, I went to Bunker Hill Community College for my Associates. After I obtained my associates I transfered to University of Colorado to get my Bachelors. I never finished in Colorado, but if I had- I would be putting that on my Resume, not the Comm Col.

You can save alot of money this way. Attending a state school for 2 years is expensive enough, nevermind for 4 years. It all depends on what you want to do. Some people I have spoken with disagree with what I did, but when It comes down to it- I got the same education, for less money.

Take care and stay safe..

MembersZone Subscriber

Sstoner, I really wouldnt worry about the fire science classes yet, I would wait till you got hired to worry about a fire science degree, plus the dept. will more then likely pay you for your education.

Joining a dept. and getting your FFI + FFII is more then likely the right track for you at this time as well as taking as many entry level test as you can, find out what dept's are career and find out when they usually do their testing.

After taking a couple test you can see where your weakness is and work on it, whether it would be the written, agility, or the oral interview testing phase.

Goodluck

Default Advise

Get your ff-1-2, haz mat awareness and operations, progress to if possible paramedic level in ems and you will be in the top 100 if you pass the test.

This is just about the requirement to be eligible for hire in the western us states, ff-1-2 haz mat awareness and operations and emt-p.

Fire science would help but most departments do not give extra credit for it until you are up for a promotion.

And of course if your a vet most civil service departments give an extra few points for service to our nation in the military.

Good luck and keep testing ... if you want it bad enough it will happen.

Stay safe and keep low, we all come home. jack

MembersZone Subscriber

Shawn,

College education is college education. Dont let people tell you its stupid or a waste of time to get it. I am getting ready to start my final semester of my fire science degree at a local community college. I took my firefighter 1 and 2 through the college. At that time our department only offered the Firefighter 1 in the springfield and 2 in the fall. I didnt want to wait a whole year as I joined in June of that year.

I have gotten a lot of good info and knowledge out of the classes I take. So far I have taken fire officer, haz-mat, fire investigation, tactics/strategies, protection systems, and an administration class for the fire service. All great classes, and I also feel that you need a good instructor to convey all the points in the right manor.

Besides the college classes, you might look and see if there are other classes being offered in the area you would be interested in. Here in missouri the university of missouri has a fire and rescue institue and they offer classes around the state hosted by a local fire department that provides the equipment and facilities. Sometimes they cost sometimes they are free just depends. I have taken some great classes through these regional classes and also their fire school they put on.

Like Jack said, don't just take classes to take them and pad your resume. We had a guy on our department a couple years ago that had tons, and I mean TONS of certs and this and that. The guy spent most of his time in classes and could not apply any of his stuff. Very book smart, not very street smart. I guess to each their own. I, like probably many on this site, believe you should only take classes you are genuinly interested in or are required to for enrty/promotion.

Just for an idea this is the course outline for my particular college.
    http://www.otc.edu/generalinfo/catalog/programs/fst.htm
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

Thread Information