Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Portable Radios Accountability

I am looking for anyone with SOP/SOG regarding issuing each person on shift a portable radio as part of our accountablilty on the Fireground. Each FF would be issued a radio at start of shift .that radio will id when transmited. /each chief officer would be given a list of staff and radio assigned at the start of shift and updated need. any ideas would be helpful

Todd Hamm
    Frankfort Firefighters L4338
    Last edited by thamm3; 08-10-2005 at 08:22 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't have an SOP concerning this. We do a good inventory and apparatus check when we get on duty. Any discrepencies are put in the log and investigated and corrected as necessary.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have used the same system for about a year with our 8 on duty fire fighters. A fire fighter checks a radio out of dispatch at the start of each shift. The dispatcher puts the fire fighters name next to the radio identifier on the form. This system works for us and is part of our on scene accountability system.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

All of our Rigs have radios assigned to the Officer, and each Firefighter on the rig. All Firefighters, & Officers have employee numbers Ex: My number is 700160. Each rig has a computer @ 0800 each morning the officer signs on each firefighter assigned to the rig via the CAD for our dispatchers. Each radio has an assigned number that is also entered. EX: I'm currently assigned to Squad 10 my sign on looks like this: FSQ10P- Paramedic unit
    700160- A4197 (10A) Officer.
    700310- A4198 (10B) Firefighter assigned to the right jump seat.(Paramedic)
    300350- A4199 (10C) Firefighter assigned to the left jump seat.
    700064- A4200 (10D) Firefighter operator.

This is done by all 3-shifts A,B & C shift.

While operating on the fire scene or EMS scene our radio designation is the officer is Squad10A- EX: SQ10A to Battalion 3, or Engine 10A to 19A, or 10D to Squad10A Our pass port icons are set up the same way as the sign in listed above. This is also our accountability system should the emergency button activated. This system is part of our IMS policy.

Stay Safe

My department has a radio for each firefighter position, and each Officer has assigned their own portable radio.

The firefighter's radios stay on the rig and in the chargers.

The duty officer faxes a duty roster with the names of each firefighter and their radio assignment to Fire Alarm at the beginning of the duty shift. That way, should an emeregency button come in, it can be traced to the firefighter/officer to which the radio is assigned via the alphanumeric identifier.

The Duty Officer keeps a copy as the riding list for part of the accountability system. Ours are simple, the 3 portables assigned to Engine 1 are designated Engine 101, 102, 103, etc.

Chief of Department is Car 1.
    Deputy Chiefs are designated D1 through D4.
    Captains are designated M1 through M4
    Lieutenants are designated a L1 through L8.

There are also spare radios for special details, large events and for mutual aid for "the big ones".
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 08-10-2005 at 03:23 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Each rig has 4 portables assigned to it. My normal assignment is on the engine, so I will use that as an example.

The officers radio has a dispatch ID of "L27"
    The engineers in "Driver27"
    The 2 rear seats are "E27Portable1 & Portable2"

Every time one of these radios is keyed, the identifier shows up in the dispatch center.

At this time, radio IDs are not part of the accountability system, other then if the emergency button is activated dispatch knows what unit its from.

I really dont see an advantage to providing a list of who has what radio. We already know whos on what rig and their positions from the accountablility tags we use. Please enlighten me. Maybe we have missed something while developing our accoutability procedures.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Dave:

We use the ID tags as well as the radio identifier. In the event the emergency button is activated, the IC knows who is in trouble. This works for us becasue we rarely have more than 12 fire fighters at a working fire. For example, if the emergency call is activated for the rider on Engine 4, I know:

1) Who is in trouble
    2) Where he is supposed to be (from my accountability board)
    3) Who he is supposed to be with

We then do a quick roll call\head count. Fortunately, all emergency activations in the past year have been accidental.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Unhappy One day, maybe...

Unfortunately, we have no radio accountability system in place.

When we joined the county-wide 800 system a few years ago, we didn't opt in for any of the bells and whistles. Our department doesn't have any way of monitoring who is talking. The emergency buttons aren't activated. The grunts didn't even get radios with display screens, so if I'm scanning channels, I don't know who is talking on what channel. For the most part, I think the powers that be have realized the error of their ways... But nothing has been fixed. Sometimes, I get a bad feeling that this problem would fit all too well on a NIOSH report.

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219
    Dave:

We use the ID tags as well as the radio identifier. In the event the emergency button is activated, the IC knows who is in trouble. This works for us becasue we rarely have more than 12 fire fighters at a working fire. For example, if the emergency call is activated for the rider on Engine 4, I know:

1) Who is in trouble
    2) Where he is supposed to be (from my accountability board)
    3) Who he is supposed to be with

We then do a quick roll call\head count. Fortunately, all emergency activations in the past year have been accidental.
    OK...Yeah, it may be a bit harder to impliment here with the number of firefighters in our county wide system. Last fire I was on (2 weeks ago) we probably had 50 FF's working on scene.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Last fire I was on (2 weeks ago) we probably had 50 FF's working on scene.
    Wow.
    Last edited by JackTee09; 08-11-2005 at 07:35 PM.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Default radio accountability

I'm on a quint staffed with 4 ff's, often 3. Each position ie. Driver 1A; Officer 1B; 1C & 1D. Each radio is assigned to a position. "Man down" button's are orange and on each radio unit as well as each remote microphone. When the radio is transmitted, an identifier goes to dispatch with unit/portable number. We also use clip on ID tags that the officer carry's and get's to the IC (somehow). We do have a G.O.G. (General Operating Guideline) on radio use, designation, evacuation tones and Mayday, Urgent info....

fdsq10, Virginia Beach, Va huh? Great. I was thinking of applying for a firefighter/EMT position this fall. Could you please email me with some inside info. and information about the job down there that isn't in the human resources page etc. ie. years to hit top step, cost of living in that area etc. It would be a great help. MFDLAD1@comcast.net

My department has a radio for each firefighter position, and each Officer has assigned their own portable radio.

We had a new member of the board come to the station. He asked if any of us had any suggestions about what equipment we might be in need of. There was a lot of talk about some of the new equipment we have, the technology that we've got. In a lull I said, 'radios for each ff'. Wow...wrong thing to say. He seemed shocked - his comment was that he was surprised that we would be paid 30-40k a year to work, but not spend 2k to save our lives. I really didn't expect him to say that, but then someone told this guy we don't need radios for each ff - we should always work in pairs and the cost factor is too high. He also said that there's never been a case where a ff died for lack of a radio....
    Last edited by Emberxx; 08-11-2005 at 10:39 PM.
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by Emberxx
    [B]but then the BC told this guy we don't need radios for each ff - we should always work in pairs and the cost factor is too high. He also said that there's never been a case where a ff died for lack of a radio....
    Please tell me you are kidding!?!?
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

His exact words were that he could pull every single Niosh report on ff deaths and that there would not be one that stated 'radio' as the cause. Of course I guess he's not including the term 'communications' because I've seen enough of those....
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Default radios

Each position has a radio , pdsi (our computer manning program) identifies each person in each position who is on duty and working, (vacations-sick call-trades-etc.)
    When i get on the rescue in the morning, i check all ppe, scba, par up and check my assigned radio. Hope to never use the emergency button other than training.

Stay safe and keep low, we all come home. jack

MembersZone Subscriber

A little over a year ago our county went to the 800 system. The big city, Springfield, had been on the 800 system for a year previous and tested the bugs and everything. Before that we were on the whole, if you want one you buy one system. Sucked because I couldnt afford to shell out that kind of money for a radio, then to have it programmed with all the channels that we used.

Our county got a grant and we received the radios. We didnt get the high dollar top of the line ones. Actually we got some that were used during the Salt Lake City Olympics. We have the orange "man-down" button, we have the display screen and we have a system integrated that our dispatch knows who keys up.

Basically the way they know who keys up is there is a radio identifier assigned to each radio. My number on my department is 60 (hence the screenname) so each time I key up, the dispatch sees the identifier for our department, followed by my department number(60). There are a couple other numbers in there but I do not exactly know what they identify.

The only downside was when they first were issued, our chief told us not to press the orange button unless it was an emergency. Well, guess what, there is this nice, bright, shinny orange button on our radio that we were told not to touch. The first week about 10 people on our department had pressed it and I think somewhere around 40 or so county wide had pressed it. It is a good idea if used right.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

Thread Information