Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Lealman gets new tanker

Lealman Fire District Receives Tanker Truck From Pinellas County

Pinellas County Emergency Medical Services & Fire Administration (EMS) provided the Lealman Fire District a rare bargain ó a lease on a new $205,500 tanker truck for a token payment of $1. Lealman Fire Chief Rick Graham received the key to the tanker from Pinellas County Fire Coordinator Mike Cooksey. The lease agreement provides the truck to the Lealman Fire District for 10 years with two automatic five-year renewals.

The new tanker truck is part of Pinellas Countyís commitment to public safety in the Lealman community. In 2005, the county will spend more than $400,000 to increase the size of water lines and install additional fire hydrants.

The additional hydrants and the tanker truck with a water capacity of 2,500 gallons and 500 gallons of foam to fight liquid fuel fires will help Lealman Fire Districtís firefighters during incidents such as the Town Apartments North fire. That fire destroyed a structure whose nearest fire hydrant was 800 feet away.

The Lealman area is an unincorporated community surrounded by St. Petersburg, Pinellas Park and Kenneth City. The area is approximately 11 square miles and has a population of 50,000 residents served by two fire stations.

Pinellas County EMS & Fire Administration
    (727) 582-2000
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

It's twin brother/sister went to East Lake-Tarpon Fire District in North Pinellas
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Quote Originally Posted by captstanm1
    It's twin brother/sister went to East Lake-Tarpon Fire District in North Pinellas
    Did not know that. Then again, I dont get up in north county much.

How do you like the countys answer to Lealmans hydrant shortage.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

I liken it to putting a bandaid on an amputation....that = inadequate solution that is short lived!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber Firedan38's Avatar

it just might be because in ignorant of the way things are done down here but in the fire sited in the article they stated the nearest hydrant was 800' away....how much supply hose do you carry down here? we carried 1000' of 3" and 1500' of 5" at my old Dept. i dont know how things are set here and would like to know, also our hydrants were at least 1000' apart in the rural areas, a lot closer in town 300'.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Firedan38
    it just might be because in ignorant of the way things are done down here but in the fire sited in the article they stated the nearest hydrant was 800' away....how much supply hose do you carry down here? we carried 1000' of 3" and 1500' of 5" at my old Dept. i dont know how things are set here and would like to know, also our hydrants were at least 1000' apart in the rural areas, a lot closer in town 300'.
    Most engines here carry 1000' of 5" and at least 400' of 3". For hydranted areas, the distance is no more then 500'. Problem in the Lealman area is they are not fully hydranted. As for the big apartment complex fire they had, I belive distance between hydrants was only one issue. Total number, pressure and I think it was a closed loop system inside that complex were also factors.

For thoese that dont know, the problem with the hydrants is most of Lealman, which is unincorporated county area, gets its water from the city of St. Petersburg. The county says since its St.Petes system, they are responsible for hydrants. St.Pete says hydrants are not part of the domestic water they supply to Lealman, and, since Lealman is county area, the county is responsible. St.Pete says if Lealman wants more hydrants. they will have to pay extra.

I think St.Pete needs to get a grip. They dont charge their own residents extra for hydrants. Their just out to make a buck at Lealmans expense.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Thread Information