Forum Member

Default Most uncomfortable call yet

two days ago, the pager went off for a water rescue. I start hustling out the door when i reliaze that it is POURING rain. so i go down to the station, get my gear jump on the rescue and head to the boat launch. we get there, put the boat in the water, and then... wait. we stand there for the better part of and hour and a half. needless to say we were soaked. i wasnt to bad but the guys in the boat and one of the guys on the dock didnt wear thier bunker pants. they were soaked even more..

PS We were there longer than we should be because someone (naming no names) ran into something or got something to mess up the prop so they had to do an on the spot repair. dosent that sound like fun?

PPS while we were there we got the poop scared out of us by a lighting strike not thirty yards away.

Can anybody beat this for shear discomfort?

MembersZone Subscriber

YES, lol.

When I first got hired we got a call for a brush fire at about three am. My Lt and I arrived to find a few trees on fire from a lightening strike. Unfortunately the only way to get to the piece of property was across a canal - a slimy, mucky, disgusting, mucky, muck-filled (oh, yeah, I said that already) gross canal that was about chest deep. Oh, and it was raining.

So Lt looks at me and says 'better get it out - we don't wanna have to come back here' and hands me the booster line! I just knew that if Swamp Thang didn't come out and grab me, the crocs were gonna eat me - I was soaking wet and I smelled like a damn sewer rat, had ditch weed all over me, in my pants, in my boots....and the worst part? We had already had two structure fires that night so I had nothing to change into!
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Default Things that may you go hmmmmmmmmmm.....

In my first year or so on the FD we responded to a structure fire about 8 miles from the station, no big thing except..........................It hsd been snowing for a couple of days ( Not good at all in Mississippi! ) I drove a tanker all the way to the scene, slipping and sliding, even through an intersection! When we got on scene the owners had put out the fire, thank goodness! They were trying to thaw out pipes by building a fire under the house! Anyway, got back to the station and the tanker that I was driving had no water in it!
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Not a FD call, but I went out on a missing aircraft call once where my SAR team and I ended up walking for over 6 hours, covering at least 15 miles on foot, though not all at once, a few miles at a time with breaks in various vans and staging facilities, all in pouring rain in November. HOLY CRAP.

Oh, and the aircraft wound up being found on the ramp at the wrong airport.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

HNFC FF/President

i was about 3 miles out of town when this happened. Pagers alerted for an investigate fumes call at the apartment above mine. Since it was in close proximity (very close!) to my apartment, i just had to get there. I get to the station and get on our rescue (3rd due) with my assistant chief and we get out there. I could smell the gas fumes from the street, she had damaged something on her stove (intentionally) and the apartment had filled up with fumes. She had attempted to commit suicide (not the first time, not the last) The squad was there first on a medical call and they had requested us due to the fumes. She had refused treatment on many occasions...but decided to go this time. As they are walkin down the stairs, she tripped herself. *BANG* *SNAP* and there she is...lying at the bottom of the stairs; motionless, appeared dead. We all cringed at the sound that was made when her head hit in the doorway. It sounded like she had snapped her neck. So now we had to help the squad package her and get her goin to the hospital.

She's lived above me for 1 1/2 years...everytime i smell gas or hear them yelling, i so wanna call the cops. It's not a good thing living under her.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Heat is uncomfertable, cold hurts.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arhaney
    Anyway, got back to the station and the tanker that I was driving had no water in it!
    That would of sucked if you had a worker.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

I got a good one.
    Not so long ago we had a call for a boat which was sinking and leaking fuel so we respond and get the boat in the water without incident. When the boat driver was coming up on to the trailerthe driver floored it and turnder left, hitting the trailer's fender and almost taking out another volunteer. The driver was drunk. This guy drinks all day, literally. We've complained many time to the chief about several other incidents, but the chiefs is a wussy and doesn't want to talk to him because he is on the executive board. Frankly were all tired of this guys drunkeness. Any Suggestions on what to do?

makes good girls go bad

STM...your icon scares me more than mini-me!!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler
    two days ago, the pager went off for a water rescue. I start hustling out the door when i reliaze that it is POURING rain. so i go down to the station, get my gear jump on the rescue and head to the boat launch. we get there, put the boat in the water, and then... wait. we stand there for the better part of and hour and a half. needless to say we were soaked. i wasnt to bad but the guys in the boat and one of the guys on the dock didnt wear thier bunker pants. they were soaked even more..

And they were the smart ones! Wearing bunker gear near the water or on a rescue boat is a BIG, HUGE NO-NO!!!
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

The blizzard of 2005 when 32 inches of snow fell in one night driven by severe winds and snow drifts were insane.

We were on standby, everytime we got off the truck our jackets/ pants would freeze the way to the door and we would get a ice shell on us and iceicles would form on our eyeslids.

And we had a dedicated plow that had all it could do to keep the driveway clear.
    Last edited by stm4710; 08-13-2005 at 12:06 AM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

I once had my suspenders break during a training.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

We've had a FDNY Marine 1 officer visit us for boat firefighting training and he had videos of a guy in full turnout gear floating for 30 minutes.
    You still want to wear a Type V PFD workvest when working around water and never turn your back on it,Spring,Summer,Fall or Winter.
    I worked 7 years on the river,working my way from greenhorn deckhand to Master in four years and picked up a Tankerman license along the way.
    Never went overboard and never lost anyone overboard either.Had a couple fires that could have gotten worse if we weren't near the bank to keep the boat from sinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Co11FireGal
    And they were the smart ones! Wearing bunker gear near the water or on a rescue boat is a BIG, HUGE NO-NO!!!

Forum Member

A couple weeks ago we had a trailer catch on fire and the heat index was well over 100.We had two other departments for mutual aid and everyone was working 15 and resting 30 minutes in the shade,or in the A/C in the engine.
    I had started the rotation when I was backing up the nozzleman and had loosened my mask to dump last night's supper overboard and the LT made me break off and check in with the EMTs at the rehab station.

Forum Member

deleated it
    Last edited by firefighter330; 09-02-2005 at 07:44 PM. Reason: remove

Forum Member

Bunker pants in water leads to quickly sinking and not being able to swim... no no.

Wet bunker pants lead to chaffing, I always have the skin rubbed off my shins and knees when I crawl around in soaked bunker gear.

Forum Member

Default Taking the cake

All of you have very bad or akward experiences but mine takes th cake.
    My department was burning a field one night at a local farm and as it started to get late we put the fire out. Smart me had left his flashlight in the truck so i had no light what so ever. well i made it to the barn where there was light so i thought i was all set. DEAD WRONG!!

I walked straight into a manure pit- OMG

My gear smelled for weeks even after getting hosed inside and out and washed several times.

Kinda like the one that had to walk through the swamp but i be i smelled worse.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter330
    about 2 days ago we had a code 4(auto accident with injuries)............ ............. ...............
    Have you ever heard of patient confidentiality? Have you ever heard of not talking about an open investigation? Are you the PIO for your department? If I were you, I would delete that entire post right now.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter330
    I AM NOT A EMT OF ANYWAY AND IF ONE OF YOU ARE AND DO NOT BELIEVE SOMETHING IN THIS ABOUT THE PATIENTS THEN I PROBABLY GOT SOMETHING WORNG.

Obviously you're not an EMT... An EMT who would have been on the scene would not come online and tell all the tiny details. This is America, land of the lawsuit, HIPAA would call this a violation because you are giving patient information - even if a name isn't given. We require all fire/rescue as well as EMS personnel to be HIPAA certified before they can run any calls, whatsoever. Not worth a law suit.

Forum Member

Forget the lawsuits, it's called morals. Firefighter330, if you got in an accident or had some kind of medical emergency at your house, would you want some wickey-whack kid coming on the internet and telling the entire world about it in explicit detail?

Forum Member

Try this on for commfort.

Didn't happen to me, but to one guy i know. His company was dispatched to a tanker vs. SUV mva. He was on the engine. Got on scene. SUV is smoldering a little bit, and wires are down across the opposite side of the roadway. He grabbed a 3" preconnect, and him and his buddy headed to the car, but 1/2 way there, the hose got caught on something on got stuck. His partner went back to free the hose from what it got stuck on. His partner got back, picked up the hose, they took two steps and *BOOM* the tanker exploded and a ball of flame shot 45 feet up in the air. 4 muitual aid departments and 8 hours later the fire is out. Then he realized if the hose hadn't got caught he would've been 4 feet away from the tanker instead of 25 yards. That hose saved his life.

Forum Member

Talking Ouchies!!!!!

Ok, So I was listening to my pager and it comes across that we have an emergency meeting at the dept. All I could think is who got hurt. But, I get there and we are just voting on a new service truck. Next thing you know we get invited to a live burn with a neighboring station. So of course we go!!!! Well, we get there and we're waiting on the other station to get there when we get toned out to a structure fire with someone possible still inside. So after that call, it's about 9pm. We decide to do the live burn anyways. So we get there the guys light the house up, and put it out a few times. They send me in with another guy to do a "rescue." Well, they light the house back up while we were inside searching!!!!! (OOPS) I was tired so I decided to sit in the grass and watch everyone else. Which was really cool. I was talking with chiefs daughter about all the grasshoppers that were flyng on me and outta nowhere, I get stung by something which I squashed on my neck. Come to find out it was a red wasp. Not a grass hopper like I thought. (Blonde) I had to show the EMT and he made me put ice on it and take some tylenol. WAY embarrising whe you are the only chick their who's dressed out!!!!! It OUCHED REALLY BAD!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by avfdjunior05
    They send me in with another guy to do a "rescue." Well, they light the house back up while we were inside searching!!!!! (OOPS)
    They lit the house on fire while a Junior FF was inside???? Oh lord have mercy, what kind of people are running this training!!
    (Ducks for cover, this thread is going to get REALLY ugly)

Forum Member

Talking

Well, I was inside with another FIREFIGHTER (my search partner), so it wasn't just me. And the guy we were searching for was a FIREFIGHTER. PLUS, they got us out before they sent in the hose team, it was lit on the complete opposite side of the house that we were on. It was an honest mistake. Anyone could've done it. You know how people get when they want to put out a fire.....Guess I should've mentioned that. LOL!!! No it's not going to get ugly, you just didn't know all the details, SILLY GOOBER!!!!!!

Cpt. Common Sents

not to mention that it is illegal to use firefighters as a victim in a live training excersice

Thread Information