MembersZone Subscriber

Question Sprint/Nextel Merger

I went to Radio Shack today to look at some things and before I could make it in the door, a Sprint salesman tried to sell me a phone. I told him I liked Nextel better. According to him, Sprint and Nextel have merged and they are trying to settle all of their stocks before they make it public.

Apparently customers from both sides will be able to call each other for free, and the 'Direct Connect' will work between Sprint and Nextel customers. So my buddies with a nextel can hit me up on my new Sprint phone, and I can hit them up to. I'm guessing Boost Mobile will be combined in this too (I beleive Nextel owns Boost). Anyone heard anything about this?
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Yep...........................

As a matter of fact, I have heard a lot about it. You want to talk to Nextel owners, get a Nextel. The Merger IS happening, but the timeline for Nextel/Sprint cross patching is still way off in the future

BTW, Do you read "Advanced Rescue Technology" Magazine? If so, see page 11 of the Aug/Sept Issue. Also, this Magazine is one that reports on Communications in our field quite often, and in plain English.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I'm a little behind the times on cell phone issues...since our coverage is p!ss poor...to put it nicely...But, will this merger help/hinder the rebanding for nextel systems? Nextel has just put up 2 towers around here...and they seem to be the best service...but with the rbanding talk, I have been hesitant to enter into a contract with them...
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Disillusioned Subscriber

Interesting that the sales rep indicated they weren't making it public yet. The proposed merger was made public in December of 2004 on their website, and in fact there was a thread about it here on FH.com around the end of 2004. The actual merger will be finalized this Friday with the stock offerings going up Monday. The info is at Nextel's web site .
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Perhaps 'making it public' was a poor choice of words on my part. I think he meant it was going to be finalized.

According to him (never trust a salesman), Nextel/Sprint users should be able to hook up in a month and a half.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Not a Problem.....................

Quote Originally Posted by LeuitEFDems
    I'm a little behind the times on cell phone issues...since our coverage is p!ss poor...to put it nicely...But, will this merger help/hinder the rebanding for nextel systems? Nextel has just put up 2 towers around here...and they seem to be the best service...but with the rbanding talk, I have been hesitant to enter into a contract with them...
    The ReBanding work has started. The FCC accepted the Consensus Plan, which Nextel helped create, and is providing the funding for. This Plan will group All cell Phone operations together in a block of frequencies at one place, while Public Safety gets a block of Frequencies in another place. Public Safety will be in 800to 850 and 750 t0 799 Mhz, while Nextel will be up in the 2.4Ghz range. You buy a Nextel now, it will still work 5 years down the road.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Unless you live where I live. In which case the only Nextel tower was blown down by the hurricanes. They were going to put one up to replace it a year ago. So, the phones either go straight to voice mail (in which case your free incoming calls mean nothing, since you have to call your voice mail and call the person back) or you get a msg - system busy try again later, or you lose your call in the middle of something important, or you sound like a martian.

In their defence, they have taken a lot of money off of all of our bills every month, but Nextel Care has explained to several of us here that they need another five towers just to support the customers they have at this time - and they sell how many new phones a day?!

The other thing is that I have an i530 and I'm on my fourth one in a year. Most of the guys have the same problems, they said this one is just not working for some reason, so they just keep replacing them for free. I know it's one of the cheaper models though.

I guess a lot depends on where you are and what plans you're looking for. Just my opinion...everyone's got one!
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Also just so you guys know. I am not sure if its everywhere or just Michigan, but if you take proof that you are a FF or PO, you will get 10% off your monthly nextel bill.

I have sprint and I am in a contract with them, but I have talked to numerous Nextel reps here and they all have told me the same thing 10%. If you can convince your city/township/village to foot the bill and put the phones under their name you can get 18% off and not pay taxes.

Just food for thought

Andy
    EMT-B
    Garfield Twp. Fire Department
    http://www.garfieldfire.com

makes good girls go bad

emberxx, where abouts are ya? We (brevard county Fla) have had more then our fair share of them hurricanes, and remarkably, my nextel still works. I have an i530 too, and i LOVED my first one, dropped in in water, off high objects, and it STILL worked liek a trooper, but when I stopped on SR 528 to help out several injured REAL FHP Troopers, it fell off my belt swivel holster, and is lost. The replacement one sucks and I cant get any service from the towers OR form the service centre.....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Get Bigger Phones.....................

Ember, GO BIG. My wife has an i60c (or something like that) and has a few problems with it not getting a signal. My phone is an OLD (for Nextel) 70 series, the one that looks like a wheelchock with a keypad. I'm chatting away with no problem while she has no signal, in a few locations. A Nextel Phone is basiclly a Trunking Radio, and you have to have a signal that will go BOTH ways to the Tower.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

HAHA - Ya know, a few of the guys here have actually used their nextels as wheel chocks! And yo-yos (flung around the room - several times)...and dance floors (yes-stomped on!!) ...
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Sprint and NexTel have merged their corperations. This has nothing to do with antennas, coverage, tower locations, signal strength, PTT connectivity, or any other new and amazing things the morons at Radio Shack try to pull over on you.

Down the road, like maybe in 2007+, there will be equipment mergers. But right now and in the near future, they are two seperate carriers with seperate equipment on seperate frequency bands that are not and will not be interconnected.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Sprint and NexTel have merged their corperations. This has nothing to do with antennas, coverage, tower locations, signal strength, PTT connectivity, or any other new and amazing things the morons at Radio Shack try to pull over on you.

Down the road, like maybe in 2007+, there will be equipment mergers. But right now and in the near future, they are two seperate carriers with seperate equipment on seperate frequency bands that are not and will not be interconnected.
    Yep. I believe Nextel is saying that you will be able to use current (and future) Nextel phones until 2010. I believe the talk was that EVENTUALLY Sprint and Nextel will be using the same types of service and sharing towers, but that is going to take a long time to accomplish, especially since they want a service that will be as good as/better than both of the current services.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emberxx
    HAHA - Ya know, a few of the guys here have actually used their nextels as wheel chocks! And yo-yos (flung around the room - several times)...and dance floors (yes-stomped on!!) ...
    All I know is, last week I chucked mine across the house, and it started saying "No Service". Today, I threw it again, and now it's fine.....who knows....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireAndy
    Also just so you guys know. I am not sure if its everywhere or just Michigan, but if you take proof that you are a FF or PO, you will get 10% off your monthly nextel bill.

I have sprint and I am in a contract with them, but I have talked to numerous Nextel reps here and they all have told me the same thing 10%. If you can convince your city/township/village to foot the bill and put the phones under their name you can get 18% off and not pay taxes.

Just food for thought

Andy
    Yeah, that's how I did mine. It also gets you (I believe) 15% off your phone and all accessories. The only thing is that you actually get a "Government Employee Account" and not a regular citizen's account. The only difference with those is the discount though. I actually got worried when I saw my first bill and saw the two words "Government Employee", but then I figured out what it meant, lol...

District Chief

emberxx....We have same problem in this area, but it is getting better. They say that when the merger goes through (which as hwoods says has been in the works for some time) there will be no lapse in coverage and you will have service in places you have never had before....

NEXTEL continues to say that they are working on getting tower sites back up in Fla, but I think they are waiting for the merger to complete to save money.

Not sure when it will all take place, but it was supposed to have near end of last year if I remember correctly. So we shall see....

They (NEXTEL) also say that if you keep track of dropped called they will credit you $0.10/call, but I have not tried it. Also...thanks for the scoop on the discount.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Stan Has The Scoop...........

Stan is on top of this, as usual. One Point, if I may, is that most folks don't have much of an understanding of the time and trouble involved in getting an antenna located on a tower. Not the Technology part, the legalese fine print part. Most Americans don't want a Cell Tower in their backyard, So, in order to accomodate the need for service in a cost effective manner, One company will build a Tower, then rent space on it to other carriers. This is called Co-Location, and it is a very common Communications Industry practice. Lawyers are all over the contracts for co-location with a fine tooth comb, trying to save their clients another $.03 per month on the rental, and that causes a lot of the delay in adding service levels. Additionally, Hurricane prone areas have requirements for "Windproof" Towers, and that causes additional delays and costs in engineering and construction.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

So Harve,when are Nextels going to work NORTH of Portland,Me? The Sprints will work up to about Bangor but Nextel is real iffy beyond Naples/Bridgton. I was hoping your crystal ball polish was working today,Hehe T.C.

Thread Information