Forum Member

Default Who got their start as military firefighters?

I got my start in the military, it was very good to me. Just wondering how many of you out there got your start in the military as a firefighter or medic.

Forum Member

I did, or will rather. I have yet to start.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Default Good luck to ya

You will come out of your school with some good certifications like FFI/II, ARFF, Haz-Mat Ops and Medical First Responder.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got my start as a medic. I was an EMT at White Sands for 4 years. When I moved back to Michigan they didnt accept the National Registry so I let my license lapse. I start in 2 weeks again to get my EMT and have been on this department for about 5 mos or so now, and I was on a volunteer department downstate for about a year, but have not had any formal FF training yet, I start my FF1 this fall as well. Looking forward to it, and glad I got the start I did in the Army.
    EMT-B
    Garfield Twp. Fire Department
    http://www.garfieldfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I started in the Navy as a Hull technician. That is a combination of Damage Control(firefighting) and Shipfitter ( welding, pipefitting and sheet metal) Now have 26 years on a paid department

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I got my first "taste" of fire through the navy. Even though I'm an "office Geek", we are all required to take basic shipboard firefighting before doing sea duty. That was the summer of 1992 - between being at sea and my old FD, I've managed to put away almost 10yrs... WOW - I never really thought of what I do those terms before.

(I think a light bulb just went off )
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Default military

It took me a while before i gave the military real credit for getting me started. I must admit, I would not be very excited to be in right now mixed up in this Iraq mess, but my time in was great.

I was lucky, I came out a NREMT-I and it was accepted in Texas. My Firefighter certs at the time were not IFSAC or PRO-Board so i had to go back to an academy. But now the guys are coming out of the DOD military fire academy with all IFSAC and PRO-Board Certs, thats a great change.

MembersZone Subscriber

6 Years as as D/C for the Navy. Hated the work schedule...but saw alot of fire being land-based.

Forum Member

USAF- CFR, Retired and still on the job.
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

MembersZone Subscriber

12 years USMC 7051 ARFF....

I'm trying like hell to get a foot in the door. Been out since 12/02....

Forum Member

Does putting out a brush fire that we started at the range firing tracers count?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Default rscamaro

You will get in. Do you have your EMT, FFII, ARFF, HAZ-MAT Tech? If you don't have all those things, go getem while ur young...

MembersZone Subscriber

Started in the Navy with basic shipboard firefighting, i was a Bosuns mate, which means expendable, i learned all the jobs on the fireparty from boundaryman to assistant on scene leader, also learned all the radcon crap. none of my quals. counted when i got out, but the training did help with the basic firefighting.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

MembersZone Subscriber

Found out the Army had military style firefighters quite by accident. I was in there for 23 (active and reserve) years. After Central America, Bosnia and Iraq, my wife figured it was time to retire. Now that I'm on the municipal side, I really miss some of the military aspects of fire protection.

If I could do it all over again, though and wanted to just stay 100% fire protection, I would go Air Force. Army got to do "other things" in addition to fire protection.

Forum Member

Hi,

I started out on volunteer dept. Many years later crossed over to firefighter in the Air Force Reserve (fourth job). (By the way...still in vol. dept.) Military gives good training but not much experience. Training in military helps vol. dept. while exp. in vol. dept. helps military. Isn't it a wonderful world???
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information