MembersZone Subscriber

Default Interview coming up...HELP

Can anyone make some good suggestions as to how and nail this interview. There are 45 interviews for 8 positions. I want this position and would like suggestions as to how to stand out from the rest. Thanks for the advice!!

Forum Member

Default Tape Recorder

Start using a tape recorder to get your timing, inflection, volume, where to cut out material, get rid of the uhís and other pause fillers, or to find out if you really sound like Donald Duck. You need to get married to your hand-held tape recorder. You need to hear what the oral board is going to hear out of your mouth. Itís narrows the distance between you and the badge youíre looking for!

What is the first thing a candidate says when he hears his voice on a tape recorder? Yep. Thatís not me. Yes, it is McFly. You need to get married to a hand held tape recorder and practice everywhere you go.

This is usually a guy thing. Guys think about their answers in their head and write them down. Then they think their answers are going to come out of their mouths like magic in the oral. Trust me, they donít! The brain and mouth donít work that way.

Try this. Take 3X5 cards and write down your oral board questions. You can find our 30 Sample Oral Board Questions here http://eatstress.com/thirty.htm Practice your answers with the tape recorder. If you hear something you do not like when you play it back, turn over the 3X5 card and write it down. The next time you go after that question, turn over the card first and see what you donít want to say.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default here are a few suggestions.

I recently had my own interview that I was able to nail. I ranked first in the group of nearly 80 interviews. Here are some suggestions that I picked up from Capt. Bob. First, avoid the canned answers. ie I want to serve my community...etc etc.. They wont get you anywhere. What you want to do is make the answers personal. Look for experiences in your life that you can use to make your answers come alive. Practice your answers. Like Capt. Bob said. over and over again, so that you sound confident. Look at Capt. Bob's site for some more pointers. It will help. If you still feel unsure call him. He will help.
    You had better show up to your interview, in a suit and tie. A dark suit is preferred with what is called a power tie. Anything else is unacceptable. When I went to my oral interview there was a guy that was wearing cowboy boots, blue jeans and his keys were hanging from a chain. I don't know how he did but I can't imagine that he did very well. He just didn't look like he wanted the job that badly. There were 3 other guys there and they were all in suits and ties. DON'T BE THAT GUY.
    Well I could write more but I think that Bob will be more help.
    (Just for the record....I did not buy Bobs program, I used his free advice. I felt that the advice was all I needed to have the confidence to nail my board. That may or may not be all you need. I am not paid by Bob. I have not been asked to recommend him. I just feel that he offers the best oral interview advice.I do believe that he helped me get my position and for that I am grateful)
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mifirefighter
    Can anyone make some good suggestions as to how and nail this interview. There are 45 interviews for 8 positions. I want this position and would like suggestions as to how to stand out from the rest. Thanks for the advice!!
    Which department has 45 interviews and 8 openings in MI? Sounds almost too good to be true.
    Let us know,
    KC
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

MembersZone Subscriber

Latest thing heard was there are 11 eligable for retirement by July 06. It appears they are trying to accept 8-9 people to fill these voids. Maybe more maybe a couple less. Lets hope for more.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default in Indiana

In Noblesville, In they had 78 interviews and are hiring 8 in Oct. So it does happen.
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Latest thing heard was there are 11 eligable for retirement by July 06. It appears they are trying to accept 8-9 people to fill these voids. Maybe more maybe a couple less. Lets hope for more.
    The above happens all the time, it's the low number of interviews for that many spots that sounds too good.
    You never said what city? If they are interviewing soon, that means that it's too late to apply so you are safe telling us!
    Later,
    KC

P.S. Good Luck by the way!

MembersZone Subscriber

Oops! Forgot about that part..hahahaha Ann Arbor

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow

Ann Arbor, eh? That really hits home (see avitar). When did they have the tests for these interviews? Must have been a little while ago.
    Let me know,
    KC

MembersZone Subscriber

"Ann Arbor, eh? That really hits home (see avitar). When did they have the tests for these interviews? Must have been a little while ago."

They took ap's back in July 03. Had hiring freeze.
    I had my interview and passed it. Waiting to hear how well I placed. Keep your fingers crossed for placing high. 45 got interviews, Im not sure how many didn't make it. Im just hoping I placed in top 8. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Strong closing Statement

Hey one last thing that goes an awful long way in putting you above the rest is your closing statement.

I can't say enough about how powerful you have to be in this moment. And if they don't come out and ask you for a closing statement you MUST find a way to work it in before you get up, shake hands, and pass through the door. Take it from someone who has made this mistake many times and watched others eat my lunch who did do this.

You have to sell yourself big time. When you're sitting there planning all of your responses and taping yourself, pay close attention to what you are going to tell them before you leave. A nice 30 second to 1 minute response about what you bring to the table, your 5 and 10 year plan, and what a priviledge it would be to be a part of their department, goes a long way in setting you apart from the crowd.

Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Made it through the interview!

Well I made it through the interview. I got my background check packet in the mail and just finished filling that out. 45 people got interviewed, I have no idea how many passed. I dont know where I placed on the list. They are taking 4 right away then another 4-6 by July 06 as people retire. Im still in the game but I have to wait and see how I placed. Hopefully Im not sitting left bench, lets hope I have a starting position. Thanks for the feedback, I guess its just a sit and wait game now.

Forum Member

Default Closing Statements

mifirefighter, congratulations on your success.

About this strong closing statement thing.

There are those who would tell you to raise the flag and beat the drum with a lot of fanfare in your closing statement. Please spare us this part. Understand, if you haven't done it in the body of your oral presentation, you're not going to make it up in the closing. REPEATING, IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT IN THE BODY OF YOUR ORAL PRESENTATION, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE IT UP IN THE CLOSING! We had a candidate who tried to show us all his certificates during his closing. McFly?

Don't forget that the closing part of an interview this is the last time they will hear from you and it is where you call on the emotions of the interviewers to give you the job. Don't reiterate or try to do repair work. Use only the key points not already covered in your script. Without being boring or lengthily, tell the interviews why you really want the job and, with your qualifications, hope to be considered for the position.

For most departments this is not a scored answer. But if you say something good or bad it could cause them to go back and change a score some where on the sheet.

Then shut up and get out of the building. Or, you will say something stupid. We had a guy one day ace his oral. After his closing, he said, "Well, if I don't get this job I can always fall back on that part time painters job." The panel couldn't believe what this guy just said after acing his oral. Did it hurt his score? Enough to keep him from getting a shot at a badge. Last time I heard, he was still painting.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 10-02-2005 at 09:43 PM. Reason: grammar
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I made it through the interview. I got my background check packet in the mail and just finished filling that out. 45 people got interviewed, I have no idea how many passed. I dont know where I placed on the list. They are taking 4 right away then another 4-6 by July 06 as people retire. Im still in the game but I have to wait and see how I placed. Hopefully Im not sitting left bench, lets hope I have a starting position. Thanks for the feedback, I guess its just a sit and wait game now.
    Congrats! I have always said if I were a career firefighter, I'd like to be in Ann Arbor. I have lived in quite a few places and I have finally settled for good in A2.
    I hear it's a very hard job to get, so if you got it, you should be proud.
    All the best to you,
    KC

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks (CaptBob ? 4 u)

CaptBob / Prymtym,

Thanks for the congrats! I can only sit and hope I scored high enough to get the badge. I am not sure as to how many actually passed the interview. LIke I stated before 45 interviewed for 8-10 maybe 11, if lucky, spots. I am assuming 20-30 made the cut but I am not sure. I am happy to have made the cut, I filled out my background papers turned those in, now back to waiting.
    CaptBob.... I walked out of my interview with the feeling of unknown. The 3 person board was pretty straight faced, however I was able to break the tension and make them smile and laugh. I had an A/C, HR, and PD rep. questioning me. A few questions they asked me to relate it to a call I may have been on. I asked if I could take an extra moment to reflect on some calls that may be best suited to answer the question. When I thought of a call I replied, I feel this particular call best relates to this question and this is why. In your opinion and experience do you think it is a bad thing to pause, think, and answer? and do you think its may be a good/bad sign of how you placed by feeling so empty/unknown of how you performed during your interview? Yes, I made it through the interview and passed, BUT where did I place on the list (high/low) is what counts at this point. Thanks again for the information. Your study/preperation questions helped alot in sharpening my board skills!

mifirefighter

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by prymtym
    Which department has 45 interviews and 8 openings in MI? Sounds almost too good to be true.
    Let us know,
    KC
    I'm testing for Rochester Minnesota right now, they have 10-12 positions and they took the top 50 people from the written to the physical test. I have my physical on Saturday and my first oral board ever on the 25th, I'm nervous as hell, but ive been learning my script and practicing.

Congrats on passing the oral I hopefully you get on.

MembersZone Subscriber

"You had better show up to your interview, in a suit and tie. A dark suit is preferred with what is called a power tie. Anything else is unacceptable."

"There were 3 other guys there and they were all in suits and ties. DON'T BE THAT GUY. "

????????????????????

MembersZone Subscriber

What dont you get. Your interviewing for a job just like anyother job you need to wear a dark suit and a solid colored tie. If you dont you most likley will be the only person inteviewing and not wearing a suit, that wouldnt make you look to great, and it would add upon the tremendous strees you will probably be experiencing right before oyur interview.

MembersZone Subscriber

Golzy, we'll see ya there on sat. and then the oral in a couple weeks. I've been practicing and hopefully we get in right away man.Good luck on sat.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bad News

Doesnt look like I placed high enough on the list. Dont think I will be the badge this year. Back to the drawing board.

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow Keep your chin up...

Doesnt look like I placed high enough on the list. Dont think I will be the badge this year. Back to the drawing board.
    Don't feel bad, dude. I know a guy whose dad is a Lt. for Ann Arbor Fire (ret.)and he tested twice and didn't get on! Made it to the chief's interview both times. There is no shame in not getting hired here. Keep trying, you'll get on somewhere if you are meant to be a fireman.
    Good Luck,
    KC

P.S. Ann Arbor LOVES affirmative action and any "diverse" hiring they can do. If you are anything but a white guy, you gotta good shot. If you are a white guy... Fuh-git uh-bout it!

MembersZone Subscriber

it just blows chunks, you dont know where you went wrong or what you can do to improve or where you are on the list. so are you #11 when they are taking 10 or are you #40 out of 40. who knows. thats the hardest thing to deal with is an answer you will never receive.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, they didnt give you your results. That would drive me nuts. How hard did you prepare for your oral board interview?

Forum Member

Default Interview

P.S. Ann Arbor LOVES affirmative action and any "diverse" hiring they can do. If you are anything but a white guy, you gotta good shot. If you are a white guy... Fuh-git uh-bout it!

What is the makeup of the fire department by race and gender? Or maybe there is someone really more qualified than a white guy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by GWBJR1

What is the makeup of the fire department by race and gender? Or maybe there is someone really more qualified than a white guy.
    I don't know the make-up of the department. I was speaking about the city as a whole. I can tell you this, what I said is true from my own experiences. Do you live in Ann Arbor? I do. If you do, then you know what I'm talking about, if you don't live here then you DON'T know what you're talking about.
    I never said anyone was more qualified than anyone else. I implied that if you are stressing diversity... OK?.. Add years of hiring mostly white males...OK?.. Practicing Affirmative Action (which Ann Arbor does)...Still with me?.. Then guess what you DON'T need to hire? That's right, a white guy.
    ANY job, no matter what it is, should go to the best qualified candidate, no matter what they are, 100% of the time, PERIOD! Unfortunatly that is no longer the case in Ann Arbor, or anywhere else.
    If 40 people interview for 10 spots, 10 black guys, 10 hispanic guys, 10 women, and 10 white men. Hypothetically speaking, the 10 white guys happened to be the best candidates. Do you think all 10 white guys would get the spots? NO WAY IN HELL! This is just flat out wrong. Especially since if the 10 women, or 10 blacks were the best qualified, there would be absolutely nothing precluding them from getting hired. It would even be considered a good thing. That is unfair and in my opinion, racist and sexist.
    Again, though, I was not talking about white guys being more qualified than anyone. You implied that, but you are WRONG.
    KC
    Last edited by prymtym; 10-21-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Thread Information