Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default School Districts get a wake up call

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...44/detail.html

Finaly, the schools are being held resposible. With this new precedence, I have about 3 school districts that I can sue the crap out of.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

One day I was at home and got a phone call from some woman. She was yelling and screaming at me. I asked her who the heck she was - it turned out that her son and my daughter and another little girl had been involved in an 'altercation' on a school bus. She kept telling me her son didn't do anything wrong, that my daughter (who was 10 at the time) was responsible. I didn't have a clue what she was talking about - but more importantly - where the heck she got my phone number, which is unlisted. The school bus administrator gave it to her!

I called the school trying to find out what had happened. It turns out that this kid beat the snot out of another little girl and my daughter tried to intervene. It was all caught on camera. Watching the video made me sick to my stomach - all you could see were both of his arms just punching over and over and a stream of curses coming out of him the whole time. The bus driver did not stop the bus, didn't even try to help. The other girl had a broken finger from putting her hand in front of her face and some bruises. Luckily my daughter wasn't hurt too badly, but she was really upset.

Even though we were told that other parents had made complaints to the school about this child, and even though deputies were involved, nothing happened to the boy except for a suspension of his bus priveledges for one week. The boy wasn't suspended from school. The school's answer to all of this? They told my daughter and the other girl to ride on the front of the bus from now on.
    Last edited by Emberxx; 08-11-2005 at 11:24 PM.
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emberxx
    One day I was at home and got a phone call from some woman. She was yelling and screaming at me. I asked her who the heck she was - it turned out that her son and my daughter and another little girl had been involved in an 'altercation' on a school bus. She kept telling me her son didn't do anything wrong, that my daughter (who was 10 at the time) was responsible. I didn't have a clue what she was talking about - but more importantly - where the heck she got my phone number, which is unlisted. The school bus administrator gave it to her!

I called the school trying to find out what had happened. It turns out that this kid beat the snot out of another little girl and my daughter tried to intervene. It was all caught on camera. Watching the video made me sick to my stomach - all you could see were both of his arms just punching over and over and a stream of curses coming out of him the whole time. The bus driver did not stop the bus, didn't even try to help. The other girl had a broken finger from putting her hand in front of her face and some bruises. Luckily my daughter wasn't hurt too badly, but she was really upset.

Even though we were told that other parents had made complaints to the school about this child, and even though deputies were involved, nothing happened to the boy except for a suspension of his bus priveledges for one week. The boy wasn't suspended from school. The school's answer to all of this? They told my daughter and the other girl to ride on the front of the bus from now on.

Sounds like someone needs a good daily kick in the balls....well, a few people that need it actually....

Forum Member

unbelievable, i dont know what else to say
    "Let no man's ghost come back to say my training let me down."

I work primarily with public school districts in my regular job, and I have to say, most districts (at least the ones I've seen) are getting pretty serious about cracking down on bullying. Yes, it still goes on, but most recognize the liabilities involved and clamp down on it pretty quickly when they learn of an issue.

As for the situation Emberxx describes, sounds like that bus driver should be given the "opportunity" to find a new line of work. None of the transportation supervisors I've worked with would stand for that kind of indifference from one of their drivers, particularly if there was video.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

Damn.
    If schools are really so concerned about children,they need to spend more time on teaching them to read and write and less on their feelings.
    With some of the people I've seen coming out of college and high school to work at the local paper and TV station to wirte up the articles,news scrawls across the bottom of the screen and ad copy that are all full of more misspeleed words than I put in a usual post,I've been thinking about writing my state congresscritter and asking for my tax money spent for education to be refunded.

Forum Member

I was harassed in school and told to"walk this path on your way out off the school grounds to avoid them."and "Don't be taking this into your own hands without talking to me first." Yeah,sure.Right when a fight starts,I'll have time to come get you.
    At no time were the bullies told not to follow my new route so when the fights started again and I got into trouble,I did mention that I was doing what I was told.They couldn't say that I was the instigator after that.

The school's answer to all of this? They told my daughter and the other girl to ride on the front of the bus from now on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    Damn.
    If schools are really so concerned about children,they need to spend more time on teaching them to read and write and less on their feelings.
    With some of the people I've seen coming out of college and high school to work at the local paper and TV station to wirte up the articles,news scrawls across the bottom of the screen and ad copy that are all full of more misspeleed words than I put in a usual post,I've been thinking about writing my state congresscritter and asking for my tax money spent for education to be refunded.
    You know, I just read in the paper that 2/3 of Americans don't know the words to the Star Spangled Banner! What's with that?!

...and 5/4 have problems with fractions!

MembersZone Subscriber

As a teacher, I do everything I can to watch out for bullying, but sometimes it's nearly impossible to catch the more devious culprits. I had that problem last year with a girl who seemed very quiet and shy, but was actually saying really cruel things to the other girls in the class. She was especially unkind to the students who had learning problems. A little over halfway through the year, I started getting complaints from parents, so I immediately started watching this girl real closely, and it didn't take long to see what was going on. I separated the guilty party from the rest of the group, and the parents of the other kids reported that things were much better with their children. The parents of the bully gave me a pretty hard time about coming down on their daughter, but I didn't give an inch.

I would definitely encourage parents to talk to their children and watch for any signs that their kids are being bullied or teased. Get in touch with your child's teacher and report problems. Although it's easy to spot the more outspoken and obnoxious bullies, it's impossible for teachers to know everything that is going on among different groups of children.

Forum Member

Jeez, whatever happened to the days when you could stand up for yourself? When I was in school, if someone tried to push you around you just gave them a quick shot to the nose and all was settled. Nowadays if you do that YOU get expelled and the BULLY gets to stay in school.

They told my daughter and the other girl to ride on the front of the bus from now on.
    Sounds like someone could use a couple of "big brothers." If this had happened to one of my little sisters, this guy would be riding the "special needs" bus for a while.

Forum Member

As someone who is born on the Fourth of July,I am offended by that fact.What gets me is watching the start of a sporting event when the cameras are panning around during the National Anthem,and some guy is palling around.He sees the camera and ostentashiously(sp) starts mouthing the words,not even making an effort to mouth the correct ones.
    Schools should be teaching these things:How to read,write,do math and science and American History,not how to work the system and get out of trouble when you have been caught in the act like the original poster was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Berks2Montco84
    You know, I just read in the paper that 2/3 of Americans don't know the words to the Star Spangled Banner! What's with that?!

Forum Member

I used to drive one of those buses.At no time would someone who has shown violence be allowed to ride mine unless I had someone to deal with his actions.
    I didn't allow fighting on my bus and my passengers knew it.I was the only driver for my old company that didn't have trouble on that route.When I left,the ones that took over thought that it was a simple job because I kept my gripes to myself and only took them to the caretakers for the mental health facility I was contracted with.
    When the new drivers took over,they didn't realize that they'd be tested by the riders to see what they could get away with and they couldn't handle them the way I did:treating them like we were all going to work and were all friends no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman
    Sounds like someone could use a couple of "big brothers." If this had happened to one of my little sisters, this guy would be riding the "special needs" bus for a while.

I used to drive one of those buses.At no time would someone who has shown violence be allowed to ride mine unless I had someone to deal with his actions.
    Sorry...I wasn't implying that he would need the special service because he was mean.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default I survived the bullying.

While attending grade school, I was a regular recipient of beatings from the bigger boys in my class, which was about all of them, since I was the smallest kid in my class. I did my share of running. They couldn't catch me, but if they caught me the next day or whatever, they would bloody my nose again. I had no big brother. I only had sisters, and one of them would stick up for me. My sister Joyce could handle herself pretty good. It was kind of embarassing for me, but hey; use what you got!
    I always knew that there would come a day that I could take care of myself and that the bullying would stop. It stopped the day that I entered high school. Though I was still only 5' 4", I was extremely strong from working after school in a scrap yard. With the few pointers that I got from a former amateur boxing champion, I was returning a few of those earlier beatings.
    My son was one of the larger boys in his class. And a credit to him, he was always the one who would stick up for the kids getting bullied. And he was big enough and good enough to stop it.
    Bullying is a serious act of violence that should be immediately addressed and not taken lightly. It too easily escalates. And it isn't just the boys. The girls are starting to gain notoriety as bullies as well.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

My daughter was taught early on that she needs to defend herself, no matter what. I don't mean that she needs to be the aggressor, but she came home from school one day covered in mud and scrapes. When I asked what happened she said a girl two grades older than her had pushed her into a small creek because she wasn't moving quickly enough. I asked her if she hit her back. She said no, she was afraid she was going to get into trouble.

(Now, I know I'm going to get it for this comment...~sighs..) I told her that if that girl ever laid hands on her again and she didn't hit her back she was going to be in trouble. When you take a beating from a bully the first time then you let everyone know that you won't fight back. Especially girls, especially in this day and age - they need to learn to stand up for themselves.

Well, long story short - it did happen again; this time with a different outcome. She's never been messed with again, nor has her sister. The incident on the bus only happened because she decided not to stand by and watch someone beating on someone who was unable to fight back.
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    As someone who is born on the Fourth of July,I am offended by that fact.What gets me is watching the start of a sporting event when the cameras are panning around during the National Anthem,and some guy is palling around.He sees the camera and ostentashiously(sp) starts mouthing the words,not even making an effort to mouth the correct ones.
    Schools should be teaching these things:How to read,write,do math and science and American History,not how to work the system and get out of trouble when you have been caught in the act like the original poster was talking about.
    The thing that always got me was when they played the song at the beginning of said events, and people go on with what they were doing. It happened a lot at my high school's football games. People are so inconsiderate, I wanted to bitch out all of them. It got better the last two years of my high school career, because I was down on the field and didn't see the people being idiots....

Forum Member

Well, long story short - it did happen again; this time with a different outcome. She's never been messed with again, nor has her sister. The incident on the bus only happened because she decided not to stand by and watch someone beating on someone who was unable to fight back.

I commend your daughter, and your parenting, it's just too bad the kid didn't get into more trouble for it...

I used to get picked on a lot in school because of my weight. Nobody ever did anything physical though, because they knew I'd beat the crap out of them (never had the chance to prove that I could unfortunately....). I've always considered myself a defender of the defenseless....maybe that's why I became a firefighter and have plans of becoming a cop after college....

Jeez - This is terrible. I was never picked on so I don't know how that feels. Pretty much because of my demeanor people left me alone - plus I was a jock - but bullying is BS and the little crumb bums who do it need a foot up their kazoo. Now of course the bully is misunderstood, yada, yada, yada....
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Thread Information