Forum Member

Default Grants that cover construction????

I was wondering what grants would cover construction of a new firehouse or expansion of a current station.

We are needing a new pumper, and don't have enough room in the current station for a current design.
    Our old truck is a good 8 feet shorter than our current truck. When the current one becomes 2nd line it won't fit into the bay, and newer models are all longer also.

We're wanting to add a meeting/training room and 2 new bays.
    Question is, what grants would cover this????

Any ideas would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

It's been discussed here before, but if you qualify you might try the United States Department of Agriculture Rural Development Agency. They will do grants/loans for rural areas that meet a lot of guidelines for residents' income. It could be a long shot but worth at try.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

As Jack mentioned, (USDA) that's the first option. You can also look into aquiring the PUMPER through that same USDA loan/grant program. Depending on your budget/size of district/population, of course. You may not qualify. If you don't there are other alternatives.

One that has been thrown around in some circles, is contact your Lowe's or Home Depot and see what they will do. Or call your local High School or College (Community or 4 yr) SHOP CLASS and give them a go, WITH STRICT SUPERVISION OF A LICENSED PROFESSIONAL (which often their teacher is, or you could get some of the labor donated).

Another idea (although cheesy, but free) is to contact all those "home" improvement shows, detailing your project, cost, need, etc. It's no different than asking for a grant. You have a budget sheet spelled out, what your desires are, justification, etc. I'd go one page for something like this, just to get it in their hands. Mail, email or fax to all those TLC, Discovery, etc. Makeover shows and ask for help.

THEN, notify your news and paper that you had to go to those extreme measures trying to find assistance to get your station renovated. It will gather some press, possibly picking up a contractor or two who will donate some labor, etc.

**Can you tell 10+ years of Marketing...Sorry. I know calling the Trading Spaces People isn't what'd you'd relish, but it may would pan out and get you either a free makeover or alot of FREE press...
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Monster Garage overhauled an LA Firehouse, although that was more improvement rather than new construction of the entire structure. HUD also has a rural development component to their grants althought the requirements are tight, so there will be fewer and fewer areas that qualify for those.

Check with neiowa on military surplus links also, I know he just got their department a steel 3,000 sq.ft Navy building for about $2500, never used. Never be afraid to publicize the situation either, let the folks you serve know your needs since it's all in the name of serving them better. You never know when there's someone around that can and will help, but only if they know about it.

I just got permission to raid the scrap piles of all of the homes they're building in our development. We have a ton of training props to build, and there are plenty of decent sized pieces of dimensional lumber laying in them, and they just get scooped up and tossed by the cleanup crews. Considering lumber isn't cheap, if we have to nail 2 4' pieces together to get 8', then so be it. Free is free. Point being, they would have been seperating the stuff and giving it to us from the beginning if they only knew we could use it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire house ideas

NEIOWA here,

Received a brand new/never erected steel frame Butler Bldg which the US Navy purchased a couple years ago. I'm in Chicago a couple times a year and I try to always visit the Great Lakes DRMO (local DOD surplus yard). They had this big pile of structural steel and palletized/banded sheet metal. They were sending in to scrap yard and were not going to even list it on the DOD online surplus listings. At my request they listed and then I had our state forestery requisition thru FEPP. Bit more work than most of folks will undertake for the DOD surplus equipment thru your forester (for wildland). But worth it.

3600ft steel frame building (20'x60' and 24'x100') with sheet metal. Butler email specs and plans and our local Butler dealer quoted current price @ $38000. Plus there is matching sheet metal for about more than 2000ft2 additional. I'm planning a fire station/communityhall etc using this as the start point and our local match. As envisioned USDA Rural Development is our source for the balance or large part of it (in 2002 received thru USRA a $32000 grant for a $60k project to purchase a very nice 1985 L8000 pumper and ISO equipment list).

This was likely a VERY rare target of opportunity. But you have many military bases down south. Go visit DRMO/DRMOs and talk to the people running then an what you're trying to do (do not delay as many may be going away early in 2006). Most are pretty helpful and may have ideas. The military is tearing down/building/purchasing all the time. I have 16 fire hydrants on hand that an AF base in KS removed when they replaced the entire base water system. Money to burn, tear out, put in new. No city would replace working 40yr old hydrants (with steamer).

I'll give you another suggestion, that I made here previously, and got some cheap chuckles from the wealthy contingent. DOD for many many years has has used a very nice portable maintenace garage. Now being replaced with something new. Many available in unused condition. Used for indoor field maintenance on vehicles (anything smaller than a tank or chopper. Design concept is same as the "hoop buildings" farmers across the US use for livestock and equipment. Magnesium arch frame sections, connected by 8' purlins. 20' wide, approx 16' high. Expandable in 8' increments to as long as you want it. Chain operated overhead door 12' wide. Fabric/canvas cover with a quilted insulating liner. Includes a breaker box with light kit. There are end sections (with door parts) and intermediated sections. I have enough brand new stuff for 3 buildings total of up to 200'long (some 4000ft2).

Yes a TENT, anyone in a Trumpmansion fire hall laugh away. You should see some of the things being used for fire stations in rural areas. These are more than you or the Army wants to put up/take down every day but for 40years have worked very nicely for the military. Will provide a nice home for a pumper truck with a beer budget fire dept. Add a slab with radiant heat and a motion sensor security alarm and you are all set. (And put in some sprinkler heads). Photo attached of one in the Arctic.

Do not plan on replacing the canvas with sheet metal. Magnesium frame - steel roofing = BIG corrosion issues. And if you use self taping screws you will have a NICE BIG fire.
    Last edited by neiowa; 08-13-2005 at 12:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok so in this new style. I attach file it up loads.

So wothappenedtomypicture?

Go to http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...highlight=hoop

Forum Member

Default Construction oppurtunities

We have received construction grants on two different occassions. One being initial new construction in 1988 for $72,000 and again in 2003 for addition to the station as well as a community center renovation. The grant in 1988 was obtained through the Community Development Block Grant {CDBG} program and the one in 2003 was through the same program but under the Communities in Distress Program. These programs are typically managed through your county commissioners, however, you may want to consult with your states Department of Development office for more info.

Forum Member

More info...the grant we received in 2003 for the addition and renovation was for $277,000. These grants do require alot of work but with a good program administrator to assit you won't have any trouble.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chief311
    We have received construction grants on two different occassions. One being initial new construction in 1988 for $72,000 and again in 2003 for addition to the station as well as a community center renovation. The grant in 1988 was obtained through the Community Development Block Grant {CDBG} program and the one in 2003 was through the same program but under the Communities in Distress Program. These programs are typically managed through your county commissioners, however, you may want to consult with your states Department of Development office for more info.
    Do you know if "Communities in Distress Program" is an Ohio thing? Have worked with CDBG a bit and have not come across that one.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It's the urban version I believe. I've been eyeing one up for a while but our population estimates were too low. We got more accurate assessments in January putting us at about 125K people. Yeehaa, we're urban.

Forum Member

I know that the Communities in Distress Program is available in Ohio and would assume that there is some sort of the same oppurtunity in other states since it is Federal money.

Thread Information