MembersZone Subscriber

Default Class Reunions; Necessary or Not?

I am sitting here contemplating my 35th year class reunion being held tonight.
    I'm feeling kinda melancholy. I have kept up with some in my graduating high school class and see others on a regular basis, but I could go without seeing some of the others and not kick myself for it.
    I mean it turns into a competition. The heavy drinkers drink heavily. You have to listen to a litany of success stories and how we are the greatest class to ever graduate Galva High School. Blah, blah, blah.
    Does anyone else find themselves less than excited about events of this type?
    Oh; I could do the easy thing and stay home, but there are a few who I hope will go, because I would love to catch up with them. But there are the others; you know them. They were the ones who were too good to associate with me in high school. They were the popular click. They were from well healed families that wouldn't give me the time of day. Some of them will be there. Should I ignore them or engage them? I mean; I have done well since school and I don't want to appear to flaunt it. But it's kinda neat to know that our home is paid for and they are still paying a thousand dollars a month for 10 more years.
    And what do I wear? It calls for casual, but I think blue jeans might be precocious. Shorts and a polo? Nice slacks and a really cool Harley shirt?
    Any help?
    So; I guess the point of this is: what are your class reunion stories?
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I haven't had my 35th yet ~grinz...but we did have our tenth. I decided not to go for two reasons. Those that I graduated with that I actually spoke to, I still speak to. In fact, I work with a few of them. And those that I don't...well, the reunion was going to be held on a ship! For a ten hour trip no less. So if you decided you'd had enough you're only option was to throw yourself overboard!
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Hell, my 10th reuinion isn't for another 3 years!

And to the ones who who were too good to associate with you, well now you're an accomplished firefighter. How much better can you get?

Forum Member

I attended my 10 and 20 year reunion, and had a great time. I was not in the popular click in school, but I found my class to have come down to earth a little. Naturally their are always going to be people who just want to compare this and that, but that was a table all by itself.

I was unsure if I wanted to go last time, but now I'm glad I did. I got to sit with people I never really knew in school, and actually had a nice time. I will go again, and they will expect me to dress casual, as usual.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

20th this year. A lot of us will gripe and moan and talk about old times. We will talk about people lost...but mostly people will drink. We were never rich so all of us have the advantage of being able to be ourselves.

The tenth was a treat. Many ended up down the shore - actually on the shore. Walking the boards (Jersey guys know what I mean) with old girlfriends and thinking about what might have been...yeah.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Talking Necessary or Not

If your good looking and rich then I would have to say necessary Fat and poor take a good looking woman and if you made 35 take notes on who won't be at 40....... You could be the last fat rich guy with a good looking woman
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

I'd go and just be yourself. Screw the rest!

I know some places will have a 5 year reunion. We didn't have one so we did a very informal get together for 7 years. It was basically just an excuse to get together and drink and catch up.

We were supposed to have our 10 year last year. Everyone seemed interestes and said "Yeah, we'll do it", but when it came time to actually do it nobody would commit. There were a few of the other classes that had similar problems, so they did a joint reunion of like 4 classes together and they had a decent turnout. There was talk of us doing the same thing, but nothing has come from it.

I see a few people I graduated with every once in awhile, but that's about the extent of it. I'd try to go if we had one, just to catch up.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We just went to my wife's 30th last week. It was a hoot!, listening to the stories they all told about one another. You may be surprised Chief, the one's that would not give you the time of day may have believe it or not grown up enough to speak to you. My wife has had a couple who did that.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

I missed my tenth a couple of years ago because my daughter was born a couple weeks before and it wasn't a good time to go to a party. A couple of my buddies (the ones I still hang out with) went, and from what they described, it was the same old "in" group having a party like they did 10 years before. I don't think I missed much.

Maybe at 20 years, everyone will be a bit more mature.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

Art, did you go??? How was it????
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm pretty divided on this issue. On one hand there are a few I'd like to see.
    The rest were less than kind to me. I left those folks behind with my old books. Out of a grad class of ~100 I can think of about 8 people who would probably even bother acknowledging I was there.

On the other hand, I must admit that I would kinda like to say "You bunch of bozos...look at me now! I know I have fared much better in my life than many in my class ever thought I would.

Since I would have to travel over 3,000 miles I think I would end up deciding to miss it and then wondering how it went.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jack, it's DOWN the shore. NO matter where you are its still DOWN the shore. And when you are there, you are still DOWN the shore.

Forum Member

Many ended up down the shore - actually on the shore
    I said Down the Shore George - but when people are drunk and stumbling through the surf -they hope to stumble back on shore.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JackTee09
    I said Down the Shore George - but when people are drunk and stumbling through the surf -they hope to stumble back on shore.
    Don't you know that the beaches are closed after 10 PM? Besides, no alcohol is permitted. Jeepers, what kind of picture are you trying to paint of the Jersey Shore?

It's like Down Neck. Nobody from here would go "to Down Neck". You go "down Neck". When you're there, you're "Down Neck".

It's a Jersey Thing.

Forum Member

LOL - Yeah George...No drinking ever takes place!

It's all so wholesome.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I am going to my 10th this year. I regularly run into people that I went to high school with and most have come down from the "pedestal" they put themselves on. It will be intresting to see how everyone has fared. I had a graduating class of 225 and we were from all over the state (private Catholic HS). When it comes down to it, it probably was one of the most pivotal times we will ever have in our lives. The bridge from childhood to adulthood, the end of our innocence. As adults we can put aside the petty crap of years ago, and spend one night with the people we spent 4 of the most imporatnt years of our life with. It's surprising to see who has done well that you never expected to, or to see how the "clique" has ****ed their life away.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

It was everything that 15 bucks could buy!
    88 graduated. About half attended the reunion. Funny; people that were within 20 miles didn't go, but we had others come from N. Carolina and Arizona. The grad who is our Hall of Fame chairman was apologizing profusely to me for using the football picture that did not include me. Why? Because I was in the hospital having knee surgery when the photo was taken. They didn't use the pre-season photo that I was in. That was an interesting conversation.
    A couple of classmates walked by without any acknowledgement. I did see my best friend through grade school though. He looked just like he did in high school. Same hair cut; no gray hair. Must be living right. Some of the homecoming queens were, well, that's another story. Maradell England is still hot! Man; she broke my heart.
    Food was decent. Beer was cold. Got some golf invitations out of it. I never left my wife's side, because she made that rule before we left for the reunion!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackTee09
    LOL - Yeah George...No drinking ever takes place!

It's all so wholesome.
    drink down the shore hmmm never done that

If the beach could talk , i wonder what it would say ! hmm i wonder what the women would say to me if the beach talked to her ! aghh

******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Yeah Never been drunk at Belmar, Asbury Park, or anywhere else. Nope!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    88 graduated. About half attended the reunion. Funny; people that were within 20 miles didn't go, but we had others come from N. Carolina and Arizona. The grad who is our Hall of Fame chairman was apologizing profusely to me for using the football picture that did not include me. Why? Because I was in the hospital having knee surgery when the photo was taken. They didn't use the pre-season photo that I was in. That was an interesting conversation.
    A couple of classmates walked by without any acknowledgement. I did see my best friend through grade school though. He looked just like he did in high school. Same hair cut; no gray hair. Must be living right. Some of the homecoming queens were, well, that's another story. Maradell England is still hot! Man; she broke my heart.
    Food was decent. Beer was cold. Got some golf invitations out of it. I never left my wife's side, because she made that rule before we left for the reunion!
    CR
    Glad to hear you went and had a decent time. Your class sounds about like mine. Only roughly 90 graduated. We typically don't have our reunions until October because some people will usually come in for the Homecoming game so they try to do it that weekend.......

One of the guys I graduated with married our Prom Queen and has made the comment that he married the Prom Queen and ended up with the Pumpkin Queen!!!
    IACOJ

Forum Member

It's great that you had a good time Chief!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Only The 35th?.........................

Jeesh, You Kids............. Mrs. H's 50th was Last year. This was a Boat thing too, (Chartered yacht, after all it's the ANNAPOLIS high school) Since She is one of those who never left the area, she has kept in touch with quite a few, and has served on the Reunion Committee for the last 4 Reunions (they do one every 5 years) She says she was kinda low key, and not in "The" crowd in school, but a Swedish Blonde is hard to miss. Anyway I tagged along to a few of the Committee meetings, (husbands were invited when there was work to do) and have made some friends because of it. Anyway, we had a Ball, and I'm looking forward to the 100th.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Me, personally, could care less if I ever saw the majority of the people in my graduating class ever again.

I went to a (public) college prep high-school. It's a long story, but I wasn't allowed to attend Tech School like I wanted to (along with 4 others). The parking lot was full of Beamers, Benz's, and other high-dollar cars that mommy and daddy bought for their darlings. But I was from "the wrong side of the tracks."

All I wanted back then, was to be a firefighter, and made it perfectly clear. I was ridiculed for it. As a result of not being allowed to attend Vo-Tech, my Guidance Counselor told me one time "You had better knuckle down Mister, and start giving serious consideration to your grades, or you'll just be a firefighter for the rest of your life."

I will not repeat the reply he got. Nor the reply my father gave to him when he called my folks to report my "Insolence" for the reply I gave him.

Saw same guidance counselor in the school when I went there to perform a confined space job for my part time safety job. He attempted to make small talk with me- When I brought up that comment he made. He actually remembered......and stuttered around some answer to the effect of "was just trying to make me think about my future." My reply to THAt was "But I WAS thinking about my future! Look where I am now! a 10 year firefighter, Emergency Medical Technician, and Industrial Safety Technician.....I bet I made more money than you last year!"

And walked off into the sunset......And yes, it WAS juvenile, but it felt so damn good!

The vast majority of my graduating class, and most of the teachers, can all kiss my posterior!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yesssssss..................... ....

WAY TO GO!!............. A neighbor of ours when I was in High School was an absolute nut about getting her son to go to College. He went, got a degree in something useless and at 63, is bagging groceries in the supermarket. I didn't go to College, and got a job that allowed me to retire at 43. College ain't everything.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Permanently Removed

Me- I go becaue I like to pick up on the girls I couldnt get back in the day. I laughed at all of the guys because now they are fat and bald. The girls are fat too. BUT, I was the skinny kid in school who didnt really have it all together.

I went back to my HS reunion with my stuff squared away and it was fun! The 20th is in 4 years. I will scam on the single girls again!

-Bou

Thread Information