MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Canadian Forces Firefighting Academy

The Canadian Forces Fire Academy is located at Canadian Forces Base Borden, Borden, Ontario, and trains all military and civilian military firefighters. These are the qual to to a paid dept. Not like us guys who work the ships, and get only a couple of days per year on the training ground.... kinda like the vollunteers eh? LOL

Anyhow, heres the story:

CFFA Keeps Fire Fighters Alive

Kristina Johnston Photojournalist Intern

D Safe G
    The Canadian Forces Fire Fighting Academy (CFFA) at CFB Borden conducts controlled structural and aircraft fires to prepare hands-on training for Apprenticeship and Journeymen students for active fire fighting duties.

The Apprenticeship course teaches basic fire fighter skill-level training including rescue procedures, ladder drills, fire behaviour and how to extinguish fires. Students are given thorough intense technical knowledge prior to this practical phase. To prepare them to perform their duties at night fires, they must familiarize themselves with all aspects of daylight fire fighting.

“Not all out calls occur at lunch time. You must be prepared to work at night with your equipment,” said Platoon Chief (PC) Sgt Rob Lenders. An aircraft fuselage was set aflame and students had to use their knowledge and skills to extinguish the roaring flames. “Don’ t let me burn Davis, don’ t let me burn!” says a student with laughter in his voice, joking with a fellow teammate. Students enter the fire with an instructor who oversees their safety and confirms that they perform their duties properly.

The Journeymen training was held at night to acquaint student fire fighters with the equipment they are using for search and rescue. Instructors lit a three-story building on fire from within. During this demonstration, three instructors are inside and three outside the burning building, making sure safety is kept paramount and assessing the students as they perform their duties.

“It was hard to see in there. We were bumping into walls and each other. I knew I had a job to do and I tried to do it the best I could. You can only do so much until the heat kills you,” said Journeyman Pte Gerard Reynolds.

After each structural fire, the PC and Second-in-command conduct an immediate debriefing on what occurred and point out any procedural errors so the students learn from their mistakes.

“Safety is the number one priority. We are the ones moving towards danger and others are running away,” said MCpl Steve Burton. Each fire fighter wears a turn out gear, fire retardant boots, coveralls under the jacket and trouser and is equipped with a Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA). The only time that there could be a potential danger is if the seal breaks or if the device was not properly hooked up. When a fire fighter hears a very loud audible alarm sound, they have approximately five minutes to exit the danger area before they run out of breathing air.

A helmet must be worn at all times when fighting a fire since building debris could come tumbling down, making the fire fighter a victim instead of a rescuer. On the back of each helmet is an accountability tag. Before fire fighters enter a fire area, they must give their tags to the PC. This permits the PC to know who is still in the fire area and who is not since the PC must ensure that all of the fire fighters are accounted for.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've done some training at Borden in the past, and while I haven't seen the facilities in about 8 years, I do remember that they had a nice trainig area. I was there for rope and rappelling training on the fire towers, so we did get to tour in and around the buildings.

Multiple burn buildings, aircraft and armor simulators, and lots of land to play on.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information