Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22
    Don't take this wrong, but how much traffic control training have you had? The reason I ask is just an observation from department's I've taught traffic control to. We're trained day and night to handle structure fires, extrication, etc. But, how often are we in the road compared to fighting a structure fire (which also requires some traffic control). Training, training, training.

Most of those I've taught traffic control to say it helped out a lot. The guys at my FT department made fun of those big, pink "Emergency Scene Ahead" signs until they saw them in action, then it's "man, you weren't kidding, those things actually work!"
    I agree those signs do a good job.Most traffic reduces speed and traffic flows smooth.
    Last edited by coldfront; 11-05-2006 at 07:14 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post

Most of those I've taught traffic control to say it helped out a lot. The guys at my FT department made fun of those big, pink "Emergency Scene Ahead" signs until they saw them in action, then it's "man, you weren't kidding, those things actually work!"

The signs are a good idea. Is this a standard for most fire departments around the country? In my area signs are not used...yet. So how far in advance of the accident scene do you set your sign?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Pete50 View Post
    The signs are a good idea. Is this a standard for most fire departments around the country? In my area signs are not used...yet. So how far in advance of the accident scene do you set your sign?
    I guess you could call it the standard, as the MUTCD requires warning signs. Placement kind of depends. I usually have my guys use 1/2 mile as a rule of thumb. It all depends on the road and how the curves, hills, etc. are laid out.

Forum Member

I guess you could call it the standard, as the MUTCD requires warning signs. Placement kind of depends. I usually have my guys use 1/2 mile as a rule of thumb. It all depends on the road and how the curves, hills, etc. are laid out.

Thanks for your reply Catch22. The material that I have for TCP courses is geared up for construction sites etc. This is okay as most of it would apply to anyone that has to control traffic through a work site or around an accident scene.
    My material goes over proper work zone signs, spacing etc. but this obviously would not apply to an emergency scene.
    I really like the idea of a "emergency scene ahead" sign and will mention this in upcoming courses. Thanks again.

I was doing traffic control when I was an Explorer at age 16.

Lets face it, not every town and city is the same. There are some where the FD won't touch traffic control and there are an abundance of police officers or other agencies to handle it. There are places where the FD will regularly do traffic control. We do it regularly and have no problem doing it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I was doing traffic control when I was an Explorer at age 16.

Lets face it, not every town and city is the same. There are some where the FD won't touch traffic control and there are an abundance of police officers or other agencies to handle it. There are places where the FD will regularly do traffic control. We do it regularly and have no problem doing it.
    In my little part of the world the fire departments have been doing the traffic control for some time, as there is no abundance of police officers here. Sometimes DOT will help them out just depending on the circumstances etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pete, if you'll drop me an email or PM (since I can't you until you're not a guest anymore) I'll send you some stuff you might be interested in and might help you out.

Forum Member

Pete, if you'll drop me an email or PM (since I can't you until you're not a guest anymore) I'll send you some stuff you might be interested in and might help you out.
    Thanks, I sent you an e-mail, not sure if you received it or not.

Default firedude01

i would feel alot more secure knowing that our own people are out there watching our backs if pd has enough manpower and they can fine but our own people should be doing the traffic control. also if i was the ic i can be in communication with them also

Thread Information