Forum Member

Default Interview Preparation - a little different question...

Ok... I've seen plenty of posts with guys asking how they should dress for interviews and such, but how should a woman dress? I hopefully will have some interview opportunities in the future, and I'm wanting to go ahead and find the proper attire so I don't have to go shopping at the last minute. I know I will need to dress nicely, but it's not as simple as a suit and tie (although I suppose it wouldn't be out of the question). I don't really think a dress would be appropriate either. Would a pantsuit be appropriate? Just wondering what others have done for this occasion. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

wear what you would to a job interview, a dress might not be out of line, but a pant suit might be a better option. i have seen both worn and so long as it is professional looking i dont think it would/should be a problem.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Forum Member

Default Attire

The strongest non-verbal statement you can make in the oral board is what you wear. It is time to step up and make the investment.

Women: Do wear a tailored business-like suit or dress with a jacket, not overly feminine. Choose suits in conservative solid colors such as gray, navy blue, black, beige, or camel with conservative hemlines. Natural fibers such as wool are your best bets. This might seem too girlie, girlie, but it works.

Always wear stockings in natural shades even if it’s 110 degrees. Avoid dark colors with light colored shoes. Always carry a spare pair.

Don’t: Wear anything flamboyant, trendy, faddish, low-cut, too tight or short, or otherwise provocative. You are not trying to make a fashion statement, but trying to get a badge! No heavy perfume, ankle bracelet, stockings with patterns, lace, bold colors, or seams; sandals, very high heels, unusual colors, or casual styles. Ladies: hair up; no bangs falling into your eyes or face. Don’t ever wear slacks, even pantsuits.

From Anita: You say women should wear a business suit, but not a pantsuit to their oral interviews. What’s the difference? During some coaching for interviews with a very ‘oral board successful’ captain friend of mine, I was told to never wear a dress to an interview because it makes women appear too feminine. So, I have always worn a black pantsuit to my interviews and people have always said that I have looked very professional. Is it hurting me? Thanks for your help!
    — Anita

Reply: It’s your choice, but I believe it’s hurting you. You want to use everything to your advantage. When a women walks into an oral board wearing smart business looking attire, it changes the dimension of the interview trust me.

Yes, the panel members are supposed to be professional. Yeah, they’re still men too. They can and will be distracted by what women look like, wear and how they interact.

If you don’t think how you wear your hair, attire and accessories can be a distraction you could be wrong. Being wrong could cost you the points you could have had going in prepared.

I was on a panel one day and a female candidate came in with long hair, a shorter skirt and a necklace that distracted us. Her long hair had been a little wind blown as she walked into the building.

We kept focusing on that pendant on her necklace. It looked like a naked women. It turned out to be a weight lifting woman flexing her muscles.
    Like it or not, the suggest formula says: Ladies: hair up, no bangs falling into your eyes or face.

I had a female candidate contact me prior to an oral interview for the City of Oakland. This paramedic had been trying for 5 years to get on the fire department. She just missed the cut at Contra Costa County. She was tired of testing.

I asked her what she was going to wear. She said she always wore a pants suit. I convinced her it was time to step up and make the investment. She showed up for coaching in a tailored (killer) wool suit.

I showed her in 10 minutes on the video the mistakes she was making in her presentations.

She called me two weeks later on her birthday, that she had received her notice that she nailed that job in Oakland. She has the job of her dreams.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 08-16-2005 at 01:19 PM.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Oops...

Sorry wrong post...
    Last edited by jerryfrost; 08-17-2005 at 01:25 AM. Reason: want to delete!

Forum Member

Default Wow...

I accidentally posted before when my husband was logged in.
    I guess I posted the question at the right time. I just found out that I made the cut on my very first test! With any luck, (and some hard work) I'll pass the agility test, and I'll be using the info you've provided soon!
    Thanks all!

Forum Member

Default Cpat

It’s not uncommon for some agencies to have “scouts” to watch for those at their CPAT who are struggling going to the whip for a photo finish and those who breeze through. It would be hard pressed for an agency to turn someone down who had a passing time in this “pass/fail” event but you don’t always know what’s going on behind the scenes.

Just because you passed the physical agility doesn’t mean you are ready for the fire academy. Whether you agree or not, the CPAT or other physical agility is just a base line. Departments know this. The agility is certainly another part of the interview process. It can be hard getting this job. It can become difficult keeping it!

Often, candidates don’t realize that it’s not just strength in the physical agility. The “Nugget “ is technique, momentum and grip. I witnessed a 5’ 1” fire lad who was 119 pounds blow through the CPAT leaving the staff shaking their heads.

On game day, you need to pass the agility the first time out in order to and move onto the next step in the hiring process to gain your badge. The key is to be prepared before you show up!” The secret to passing the agility is to be in shape with a high cardiovascular fitness level and to know the proper techniques to make the cut.

The best hands on program I’ve seen to assist candidates to get ready for the CPAT is the Fire it Up Agility from Dr. Jen Milus. Candidates who have utilized this program have been not only able to pass but to lower their times, keep in shape injury free through the academy, probation and on into their career. You can find out more from her web site here: http://fireagility.com

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information