Thread: Need equipment.

Forum Member

Default Need equipment.

I know there is the program that gives out donated equipment if your budget is low but what about other departments that need stuff and can't afford it. My department has a 100,000 dollar budget but once you consider
    24,000 truck payment
    8,000 truck payment
    10,000 insurance
    utilities two stations
    fuel for 8 trucks running over 500 calls a year
    maintance
    replacing required equipment as it fails
    the money goes quick. We are looking good for this year fema with already recieved our 1199A and 10 questions for new SCBA's. We would be more than happy to trade our old scotts which are in good working order and just passed flow test for hose which we are in great need for, but how do we locate someone with extra hose to get rid of or for sale cheap as well as how do we find someone needing our airpacks. If anyone knows of a site or forum where contacts can be made to trade, give away or sell used equipment is please let me know. I know another department locally who has a bunch of SCBA to pass on to needy departments but can't find any locally that need them. Please contact me at chrisisaacs@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Contact Helping Our Own This is a non-profit group that handles fire equipment donations.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

I did contact them with no reply and thought I saw in a forum that the departments budget needs to be low like 10,000 a year. We pay more than that in insurance so I don't see how a real fire department can have a budget that low and have insurance on equipment and personell, pay utilities, fuel, and basic operating bills.

Forum Member

If youall will read the testimonials on there site you will see department talking of 2,000 dollar budgets. That is just not possible and be a department. Add up
    Electric bill average 50 dollars a month (in our station with just lights)= 600 year
    fuel cost (say its a slow department) 50 dollars a month= 600 year
    phone bill 20 dollars a month= 240 year
    where is the money for insurance, equipment, basic expensis at.
    On the other hand why are they not trying to raise money. Road blocks, knock on doors, sell donuts,
    We sell fireworks, run a haunted house, do mail outs, stand in the road to get what we have and still need more for the basics. I know there is a lot of departments needing for stuff and we do give all our older equipment to less fortunate departments as we get the ability to replace it, but we also don't want to just give away stuff that we might of worked many hours working a haunted house to get it and just give it away later because we was able to replace it with newer items. There needs to be a way to trade items or buy and sell used items. We bought our current airpack when another department got a grant and would like to sell them cheap just like they did for us but can't seem to find the departments that would be willing to pay a small small price for the equipment. I am sure they are out there but don't know where to look

Forum Member

Try talking to your equipment rep. I am always happy to pass the word when a department has something to sell or needs some used equipment. If you dont have a sales representative that makes regular calls to your department, this might be a good opportunity to get in touch with one. I personally drive about 50k miles a year and play match maker for departments that give me the opportunity to help out.

Forum Member

My department receives $4,300 in tax support annually. This amount is by far short of what is needed to operate efficiently. We then hold several fundraisers annually and generate an additional $10,000+.

All this covers utilities, insurance, truck payment, workers comp, vf insurance, etc... All of our ppe, communications, and other equipment is new or fairly new. Our apparatus' range from a 1975 Refurb engine to a 2005 engine. If it wasn't for grants like the AFG we would have to scratch and dig to just get by.

Over the past 8 years we have been fortunate to receive approximately $750,000 in grant funding from AFG, our state, county commissioners, etc..It takes good management and determination to make your department what it should be.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cisaacs5076
    I know there is a lot of departments needing for stuff and we do give all our older equipment to less fortunate departments as we get the ability to replace it, but we also don't want to just give away stuff that we might of worked many hours working a haunted house to get it and just give it away later because we was able to replace it with newer items. There needs to be a way to trade items or buy and sell used items. We bought our current airpack when another department got a grant and would like to sell them cheap just like they did for us but can't seem to find the departments that would be willing to pay a small small price for the equipment. I am sure they are out there but don't know where to look
    Your target market for selling your old stuff is the dept that is running on $12k/year. And there are MANY of them. We are just out of that category due to creative fund raising and grants. Any capital improvements required grant $. As you noted their $ are going to operating expenses and NOTHING left for capital projects. So the $500 you want for an old SCBA is as out of their range as a new pumper. They are in the the $150 market or they will (or if literate already have gotten a fire grant). You might as well just go for ebay.

Forum Member

Default Hose For Sale

Our Department has 2.5 and 1.5 hose for sale it was service tested in 2005.

Contact me via email @ firehoser2722@yahoo.com we are located in IL just south of Chicago.

Jeff

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry A Real Fire Department

Quote Originally Posted by cisaacs5076
    ...We pay more than that in insurance so I don't see how a real fire department can have a budget that low and have insurance on equipment and personell, pay utilities, fuel, and basic operating bills.

Our department is running quite well on $10,000 a year thank you very much. Yeah we have fire truck envy, but that has driven me as chief to become very aggressive towards writing grants.

I guess we arent a REAL fire department since we don't have a million dollar budget? Get real buddy. WE ALL have a job to do. This reeks of the same BS arguement of paid vs vollies.

IN OUR DEPARTMENT WE ARE PROUD THAT WE CAN PROVIDE A SERVICE TO OUR CITIZENS AND OTHERS THAT PASS THROUGH OUR DISTRICT. WE ARE GOOD AT WHAT WE DO.

So choose your words wisely. WE are all firefighters and we all respond when we hear the bell, buzzer, horn, pager, tones or even the common fire dept telephone line.

We need to stop all the bs of our department deserves the grant cause we are who we are, and they dont because well... look at what they got. I am greatful that the group that put this together was able to build a system that would keep that mentality out of the award process.

One thing I have learned on this forum is that there is a need. Every department in the US has a need, and to each department their need is the best, most deserving need, and that need should be funded. Imagine if we all worked together and put our energies in to contacting our gov't reps and let them know of our need, and the needs of our brothers and sisters around the country? Let them know that we have to all beg for equipment that our departments really need. And get them to commit to funding the AFG for the next several years, and hopefully at full authoization amount.

So yes Tensed Fire Protection District is a REAL fire department and we have a group of dedicated professionals that do what they do because their neighbors, friends, and strangers need their expertise. And yes, all our "extra" funds from our last three years went to match our AFG 05 grant.

Just my two cents worth.

Thread Information