MembersZone Subscriber

Question Smoke Detector Narratives

Our department has decided to do a smoke detector/change of battery program for fire prevention this year. We have never went for a fire prevention grant and could use some funded narratives. My email is bweil@nocfa.com. Your help is verymuch appreciated. Thanks

Forum Member

That's about what we had in mind.
    Since we've never done a FP grant, I'd appreciate any tips/sample narratives you might be willing to share.
    Please send any help to:
    marionfirestation@comcast.net

Thanks in advance,

Forum Member

We are also looking into a similiar program. I have a successful narrative from last year for a fire prevention house/trailer if anyone is interested. You can email me at RsnFyr29@optonline.net. I could use some help with the smoke detector narrative if anyone has anything. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are/did your apps focus on intalling the old $10 ionization detectors. Newer heat/smoke detectors ($20) or modern wireless networked detectors (with or without dialers)?

I'm working on the latter, but interested if grants have been funding obsolete detectors. Or if they have been making/allowing/funding programs that make the next (more expensive) step to a program that much more effectively protects life (networked) or more importantly bring the FD to the fire more quickly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jumping in here too. Looking for anyone willing to share a successful smoke detector narrative:

bethkayhart@hotmail.com

Thanks!
    Beth

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Need halp here too!!!

I'm in the same boat as the rest of these guys. I've never done this either any halp would be greatly appreciated. Email bucknerfire@yahoo.com.

Forum Member

I've gotten a little help and direction but I could still use some more if anyone out there has anything......

We are also looking into a similiar program. I have a successful narrative from last year for a fire prevention house/trailer if anyone is interested. You can email me at RsnFyr29@optonline.net. I could use some help with the smoke detector narrative if anyone has anything. Thanks.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I haven't jumped in since Barbie posted just because I'm not sure what everyone is in need of for this. I mean, you need to do an assessment of your community to see if a smoke detector program is even needed for starters. After that, the benefits of smoke detectors versus not having them are far and wide, and well-publicized also. There is tons of information out there about the early notification of residents and how that saves lives.

As far as what type of detector, how about the one you'd want in your house? Would you be happy with a basic one if it were free, or would it be better to have one with the CO detection in it as well? Or would it be better to have them as separate units in case one is bad the other can still be used? There is no such thing as an obsolete detector. They're made to activate under certain conditions, and if they do that, they're not obsolete. Typewriters aren't obsolete if all you want to do is write a letter. A slow computer is not obsolete, it's just not the most cost-effective solution available. Same solution, different reasoning, it's just the approach that's different, and that divides the DJs from the awards.

I think y'all are trying too hard at this, and I know I may not be helping too much with what I throw out about 'having an air tight narrative' and all of that. But smoke detectors are a very simple object, and if anyone can extoll their benefits without spending too much time on it, firefighters can. Sometimes it doesn't take a major dissertation to justify a project. I don't think there's a department out there that can afford to equip every resident with a smoke and/or CO detector, so I don't see financial need being a big hurdle in that section. I mean, what do you tell your citizens now on why they should spend their money to install detectors? Why would the reasoning be any different when it's the feds money?

Take a deep breath, grab your favorite liquid refreshment, and put down what you feel would be the benefits of a smoke detector in every home in your area. If it would be better to have the $40+ ones with dialers attached because the area is rural and if the homeowner doesn't have time to use their own phone and the neighbor is 2 miles away (i.e. time delay of response from FD), then that sounds pretty airtight to me. Same with CO in areas where folks have gas heat, or fireplaces. Considering the price of fuel products, I see an increase in wood stove and fireplace usage. Throw that in as part of an education campaign on having chimney's cleaned.

Remember, even using someone else's narrative as a starting point can be a crutch. So many end up copying verbage and style, not just the idea behind the application. That hurts more than helps.

Just some thoughts to get the mind moving.

Good luck - Brian

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Fire Safety Links that could come in handy for everyone: http://fe.pennnet.com/Articles/Artic...p=25&cat=BRNIS

From FireEngineering.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone been successful with a residential sprinkler demonstration project? Details?

Thread Information