Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Smile The "Thank You" Thread . . .

Just wanted to send a BIG thank you to Brian (BC79er) for the invaluable pointers he gave me while I was writing our grant proposal. Iím a first time grant writer and really didnít have a clue how to write a narrative that would accurately convey our need to the peer review panel. Apparently it worked!!

Also, thanks to everyone here on the forum for sharing information Ė itís really cool to see so many people from all over the country helping and encouraging people they donít even know! What a great family the fire/EMS service is.

OK Ė thatís about all of the warm-fuzzies I can handle for one day . . . I think it's time for one of those tall, umbrella adorned adult beverages!!

H

FH Mag/.com Contributor

As always, glad to have been of assistance. Just send me a picture of the tanker when it comes in.

And don't forget, don't drink too much, drink enough.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Of course, my thanks goes to *everyone* that has shared information in this forum, but my #1 "Thank You" goes to Kurt Bradley. Thanks, Kurt! Absolutely, positively could not have done it without your help!

Beth

You are most welcome. All of us, bc79er, dixiechicknc and I live to help you all out!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

You can get bids/proposals as early as you wish as long you place this quote in the bid announcement: "Final purchase and/or equipment selection is contingent upon available funding".

I post bid announcements on a regular basis and this works with the local auditors.

Forum Member

Default thanks

I gotta say thanks as well...especially to DixiechickNC.... she allowed me to pick her brain and ask about 100?s.... and a few hours of her time.. I know our chances would have been much less without her help and advice, especially for a first timer like me..

And to the rest of you also.. thanks.. the post the BC, and others put up were very helpfull as well... you guys all "Rock".. thanks again...

Forum Member

Default Thank You to all!

This forum has really kept my head above water on this long and trying grant process. I'll have to say this one was living H*@L ! anyone else agree?....anyhow...THANKS

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chief311
    You can get bids/proposals as early as you wish as long you place this quote in the bid announcement: "Final purchase and/or equipment selection is contingent upon available funding".

I post bid announcements on a regular basis and this works with the local auditors.
    THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH FEDERAL FUNDING PRIOR TO AWARD NOTIFICATION...you aren't dealing with local auditors here. You're going to be dealing with Homeland Security & such. What is a few more days after getting a phone call or getting the Q's?! Please do yourself a favor and wait to receive your BID/QUOTE AFTER the date of the official notification. Could site town and department that has lost equipment due to this, but will not, due to possible embaressment.

But, please, after having our state host DHS for 2 weeks of site visits and all the departments calling me in the evenings with the questions and problems, am VERY familiar with the ritual. It will save you a TON of problems later, friends. Just some friendly advice.

**Oh, and Eddie...you are quite welcome, my friend! Welcome to the Big Leagues...
    Last edited by dixiechicknc; 08-18-2005 at 08:22 PM.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Actually, it's fine to get quotes before the award announcement, that's how you're supposed to figure out how much to ask for. A bid is nothing more than a formalized request for a price quote, so unless your local laws say you must put an ad in the paper and all of those other good legal items, then your bid doesn't have to be anything more than a fax or email to the qualified vendors of the products you are looking for asking for their price on said items. And that can be sent out in no time after the announcement is done, so there won't be much of a delay in getting your toys. Sometimes it must be in the paper and whatnot if it's over a certain amount of money, but that changes by locale. The only thing you cannot do is spend money on anything other than a grant writer prior to the award announcement and expect it to get reimbursed.

If you're not really sure if you did enough to be kosher on the bidding process, call your grant administrator, explain what you did, and then see if you have to do something else before going further. I've had plenty of departments order on the day of announcements and all they did was get updated quotes from months earlier and passed the audit, but one never knows when the feds will change their mind on something. The key being the updated quote on or after the award announcement.

And also, if there is only one vendor that can supply what you are bidding for, then the bid process will be really short. Or if you're in a purchasing co-op like HGAC where everything is pre-bid already, so you just buy what you want, no delays. Any entity involved in public service can join and purchase from the list, so check it out at https://www.hgacbuy.com, you may save even more money. Just think of it like a Sam's Club for emergency services.
    Last edited by BC79er; 08-18-2005 at 10:56 PM.

Forum Member

Also, thanks to everyone here on the forum for sharing information Ė itís really cool to see so many people from all over the country helping and encouraging people they donít even know! What a great family the fire/EMS service is.
    DITTO from "us"......

This forum has helped more than I can say.

Forum Member

Thumbs up "Thank You" Thread

I just wanted to say thanks to all you folks for the info that has been shared on this site, especially those of you who do it as a profession. It is refreshing to see someone recieve an answer to their question, not a response of "Yea I got the solution-just send three easy payments of 29.95 to...... I got noticication today of our department's being awarded a new pumper-tanker. I only started "lurking" on the forum a couple of days before the deadline but with the Grace of God and some help from you folks we nailed the AFG again this year. I'll be poking around for more info no doubt.

Thread Information