Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What now????

Forum Member

Default What now????

We got our Phone call from seantor Blanch Lincolns office today in Arkansas telling us that we will be recieving funds from the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program. What a Relief!!. We got our questions and our 1199's on 5/25.
    So after we got them I got a little impatient and we got every thing ready to order expecting them to turn loose of the money at any time. So for the last three months I have been waiting for that call, and now after I have recieved that call when can we make the call to the distributors and order our new Turnout gear and our new SCBA's??

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd wait till you get the OFFICIAL announcement on Friday.

MembersZone Subscriber

You will still have to get your 2 or 3 bids BUT ONLY after the OFFICIAL award announcement that will arrive in your inbox on Friday (or whenever it arrives, I would assume Friday, since you received call today, but for others sake...). You can not make a purchase or have bids dated PRIOR to that award date or your would not 'pass' a site visit. That would be against the guidelines and regulations stated in the Program Guidelines.

And, you've waited all this time, look all you want, just don't get the OFFICIAL quotes or make purchases or promises to purchase prior to announcements. Keep the Feds happy!
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Actually what has been deemed kosher is requesting prices, and then getting a confirmation that those prices are still the same after the announcement has been made. That's all most of my clients have done since you technically requested a bid when you were filling out the application, so all you need to do is confirm the prices tomorrow, and then go with whoever gives you the best package of price and service. You do not have to go low bid on anything.

Do you have to have three bids?? For the regional communications project that we did, we specified in the narrative that we would be using a local vendor to keep costs low for maintenance and upkeep. Not to mention the fact that our local vendors have a great understanding of how our current system works. I would feel really bad not using these guys because they busted their humps along with all of us from the FD's to get this grant up and going. They have went out and done surveys of best places to place repeaters, etc. And in the long run they are going to end up with the business from the equipment anyway, because if something has to be serviced, they are right there in town. Just curious if we HAVE to get 2 other bids.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

From the PG:

(5) Ensure that all procurement actions are conducted in a manner that provides, to the maximum extent possible, open and free competition. In doing so, you must follow your established procurement processes when purchasing vehicles, equipment, and/or services with the grant funds. If the grantee has no established procedures, you should obtain at least two quotes/bids for the items you are procuring and document in your grant files the process used.

It doesn't mean that you have to take someone else's bid since they won't be able to comply with the local service requirements. Service is a critical part of any project. Taking low bid is not a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    From the PG:

(5) Ensure that all procurement actions are conducted in a manner that provides, to the maximum extent possible, open and free competition. In doing so, you must follow your established procurement processes when purchasing vehicles, equipment, and/or services with the grant funds. If the grantee has no established procedures, you should obtain at least two quotes/bids for the items you are procuring and document in your grant files the process used.

It doesn't mean that you have to take someone else's bid since they won't be able to comply with the local service requirements. Service is a critical part of any project. Taking low bid is not a requirement.
    Brian, again you prove to be a wealth of knowledge. I had just started reading through the program guidance for the second time since reading through this post and must have overlooked it again. Thanks for clarifying.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I read the PGs at least 5 times the first day I get my hands on them. Plus they haven't changed them too much since 2001, so not to hard to remember the gist of them.

And of course I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I'm a nerd with a photographic memory.

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    And of course I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I'm a nerd with a photographic memory.
    Ok, don't know if I would have admitted that or not. Ha

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I wear it with pride.

Plus I always go back to the joke about how Michael Jordan would have to play basketball until he was 200 years old to make what Bill Gates has in his bank account today.

"Once you go nerd, the rest are just absurd"

Forum Member

Do you have to have three bids??
    Yes and No.
    You have to follow the purchasing guidelines of your Department.

We do NOT have to get three bids. But, we get all we can so we can shop smart.

MembersZone Subscriber

If your department doesn't specify whether you have to have 2 or 3 bids, you have to get the 2, unless you get permission first to sole source your purchase. 3 is better, however...and smart it may even save you some money.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

To clarify, you have to REQUEST bids, not receive them. If only one company wants to send in a bid for your request, all you have to do is prove that you sent the bid spec to more than one company and you're fine. It's better if you get some kind of documentation that the others did not want to bid, but not necessary.

Forum Member

huntsfd...
    shoot me an email.. I'm also in Arkie and we can compare some prices on stuff if you want..zoom40@alltel.net

Thread Information