Thread: Nims

Forum Member

Default Nims

Can someone tell me what the rule is on recieving fema grants after this year with the NIMS thing. Our state instructors are telling our volunteer departments that we must have the NIMS class that they are teaching and the online one through FEMA will not be accepted buy keep refering to they but can't tell us who they are. Is this a money racket our state instructors are pushing so they make the money from fema for teaching or is fema really not going to accept there own online class as credit.

Forum Member

in NJ we recentley got a directive from the acting govener and i asked my asst. cheif about it and he said its something to the tune of in order for NJ to recive their FEMA grants and such we have to be trained in NIMS by like 2007 or something.

Forum Member

Just had that class the other day , man what a joke ! yeah its I 700 .
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Here it is in a nut shell from how we have been told. By September 30 2005 you have to have 75% nims certified to receive FEMA grant money for the 2006 year. You will have to have 100% certified in 2006 to receive any FEMA grant money in 2007 year. For all the more it takes to get the nims certificate why risk the big dollars. They have gave us the taste of big grant money and now they want something in return. If I can up grade my department equipment with 40 to 60k every year and this is all they ask. Iím going to do it. Just for the record my fd is at 100% already. Are county ema brought in an nims instructor, set up 8 different classes in the county over a two month period. That is why we are certified at 100%. Good luck to all. If someone has heard something different on how the nims set up is please let me know.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Huh?.............

Quote Originally Posted by cisaacs5076
    Can someone tell me what the rule is on recieving fema grants after this year with the NIMS thing. Our state instructors are telling our volunteer departments that we must have the NIMS class that they are teaching and the online one through FEMA will not be accepted buy keep refering to they but can't tell us who they are. Is this a money racket our state instructors are pushing so they make the money from fema for teaching or is fema really not going to accept there own online class as credit.
    Your Instructors are Wrong.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

As for instance, how many have pre incident plans? How many have job descriptions? How many have a good set of SOPs?
    And I'm wondering why so many people attribute these things to NIMS? All this stuff has been around for much longer than the NIMS program.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Exclamation Nims

OK here it is. (I am deputy coordinator for county EMA.....NIMS is my life!).

There are 5 requirements to be completed BY Oct. 05 (o5 is considered the "ramp up" year for NIMS). FULL compliance is to be achieved by Oct. 06.

The NIMS class IS 700 is only 1 part of the 5 requirements. Here are 2 sites to check:
    www.fema.gov/nims this is the official nims site.
    www.nimsonline.com great info and templates to use, no reason to reinvinte the wheel.

The IS 700 can be taken 3 ways: on-line (through fema), downloaded and taken paper version (p.s. you can print out the test before you take the classes), and classroom taught(all you have to do to be able to teach the class is pass it and have experience in incident command....yes, thats it)!

Here are the 5 requirements for '05:
    1. Completing the NIMS Awareness Course: "National Incident Management System (NIMS), An Introduction" (IS 700)

2. Formally recognizing the NIMS and adopting NIMS principles and policies;
    (executive order)

3. Establish a NIMS baseline by determining which NIMS requirements you already meet;
    (nimcast)

4. Establish a timeframe and developing a strategy for full NIMS implementation; and
    (implementation strategy)

5. Institutionalizing the use of the Incident Command System.
    (you may want to look at FEMA's definition of institutionailize).

As for a couple of previous posts:
    -fema not accepting their own class....WRONG! (check out the National Training Standard Cirriculum, everybody elses 700 class has to meet FEMA objectives).
    -SOP's, action plans have been around for years......Yes, but if you read the NIMS document it will tell you that. Nims is a NATIONAL approach so everybody (meaning all first responders....which includes public works now) play the same game the same way. In theory all of us would have the same training and could go anywhere in the country and operate the same way....yes I know what your thinking....that's why I said in theory.
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept.
    www.rescuelounge.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Get this in Wisconsin our Justice Dept. is hanlding NIMS they give the cource online. Also your public works dept. etc. have to have the training. For us it would make more sense for our DNR to handel it they have been using and teaching the same thing for years without one extra box.

Forum Member

My dept. in their infinite wisdom is mandating everyone have NIMS by September 15th or else we face termination (both the vollies & our paid daytime guys)...we have had ONE training class to date, which was announced by pager 10 minutes before it started and was attended by 5 people including myself. I walked out after 20 minutes once I realized that our asst. chief was going to read the whole thing WORD for WORD for WORD from the slides..and on top of that, she was giving us the wrong answers!!!
    OMG...these people are unbelievable....

Before anyone jumps on me about not taking NIMS, I plan to take it online prior to the cut-off date...I am a big advocate of training but this one seems to be just reinventing the wheel IMHO...maybe when I read it for myself instead of hearing it read back verbatim, I'll change my opinion...we'll see...

Just my 2 cents...Stay Safe...and make sure you get the right answers to the test questions...

Early Adopter

Talking No! Not a slide reader!

Quote Originally Posted by Firescueguy
    I walked out after 20 minutes once I realized that our asst. chief was going to read the whole thing WORD for WORD for WORD from the slides..and on top of that, she was giving us the wrong answers!!
    People who read presentation slides word for word should be forced to sit in a hard classroom chair and listen to someone read War & Peace. I'm baffled by the number of people who complete instructor classes and can't even come close to teaching without reading from the book or the slides.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    Just had that class the other day , man what a joke ! yeah its I 700 .
    Dude, how long did it take you to build that ! That's impressive!
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

One of my tasks over the past year and a half has been NIMS compliance for my town. I do not see how a small community will ever be able to fully comply with NIMS. The NIMCAST has about 75 questions and reminds me of IRS instructions. I work on NIMCAST until I get a headache.

Example from NIMCAST:

"The jurisdiction has implemented processes, procedures, and/or plans for the use of information management technologies to tie together all command, tactical, and support units and to enable information sharing and corrective actions cataloguing."

This is a yes or no question. My town will never implement computer networks and information management technologies for incident management. If I answer no does that mean we are not compliant?

We (the FD) use ICS and have for many years. All of our inter-departmental operations are verbal. Information management for me is when I say to the police supervisor "we need the road shut down" or when I ask him "what do you need?" On a good day, we can count on a maximum of 22 responders (police, fire, and emergency medical) for a large emergency, and that is only if we get the staff officers (police and fire) to respond and do not have any other emergencies occuring. Mutual aid is available, but for a large event that affects several communities, such as severe weather, we are on our own. Many small towns are in similar situations.

My FD has completed IS-700, but there is no interest from police or emergency medical leadership in compliance. I cannot even imangine teaching NIMS to our public works department.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 08-19-2005 at 12:06 AM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

KenNFD1219,
    The way my state emergency management (IEMA-IL) explained to us is this. If your FD does ALL the requirements (including the resolution and such) your dept is still compliant and able to recieve grants even if the "city or town" is not compliant. They (IEMA) said whatever agency is applying for the funds has to be compliant. My other understanding (NIMCAST) if you answer "no" to a question as long as you have the projected completetion date (meaning you are working on it) then you are OK, not sure if you just flat out answer no. Another recommendation on NIMCAST, even if you answer yes, in the notes box put why you comply, that way in a few/several years when someone else has the task of doing the NIMS for your jurisidction they know why you put yes or where to find how your complinat on that part.
    Trust me, I know the headache of it all, I have 4 classes in the next 2 weeks to teach and 3 already for next month with more being scheduled. I have to teach the county (sheriff's dept, health dept, coroner, highway dept., etc.).
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept.
    www.rescuelounge.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Finally finished the NIMCAST, complete with notes for every question and came up at 88% compliant.

I answered 'no' to the questions regarding integrated data and voice interoperable communication systems. My town would never fund that without 100% federal or state funding. I sent a question to the NIMS Integration Center asking if I should answer 'yes' if we plan on building an integrated communications system if funding were made available or if I should answer 'yes' and develop a plan in case money became available.

It looks like my town will be in NIMS compliance on October 1 of this year. After that, it is highly unlikely that we will ever be 100% NIMS compliant. We will use ICS (been doing that for years), and we will comply with whatever parts of NIMS that are reasonable, feasable, and low to no cost.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 08-20-2005 at 05:28 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"

Forum Member

Do the online NIMS courses cost anything???????
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

No. too few words in my post. blah

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    Do the online NIMS courses cost anything???????
    no the online courses are free however I have taken I-700, I-100, and I-200 online and I would recomend sitting in a class for at least I-200 since I feel I missed some of the information by sitting in front of a computer alone and not being involved in a group discution like some of the other people in my dept. who took a class.

Forum Member

I was very disappointed with the IS-700 materials. I am sure others noticed that many of the test questions were only loosely based on statements in the coursework summary handbook so that you couldn't be positive of the correct answer they wanted, and sometimes there was a third variation of the answer in the slide show.

The slide show is basically crap, too many slides that keep saying the same thing. Before I taught the class to my department, I modified the slide show heavily, making sure each question on the test was addressed, and redundant stuff was removed. Honestly, the total slide show was what, 75 slides across 8 files, for a 25-question test?? I also added a few pictures to give the eyes something to do while suffering through it, and changed it to a more bullet-list type format by taking some of the words out so that there were things to actually say that weren't also on-screen. People who read verbatim off a presentation are brutal, I hate that as much as I hated "reading in class" in grade school where each kid would struggle through a paragraph and you would eventually just read ahead to keep your interest up until you got called on and had to page back to where everyone else was.

If you haven't done it yet, here is the web site:

http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWEB/IS/is700.asp

Scroll to the bottom, you can get pretty much everything you need to know to teach it and take the test from the "Lesson Summary" PDF, don't bother with the other stuff. The "answers" to the test questions are sequentially matched, meaning if you find the answer to a test question in the summary, you know that the answer to the next question is farther on in the summary, not earlier.

Some of the other info on this thread was very helpful, by the way. Thanks.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

64FFMJK, I did the ICS200 in a classroom setting 2yrs ago, and I highly recommend that, as what you say is very true. I was fortunate enough that Fairfax Co recognized my 100 and 200 certs from home, and only had to run the 700. On that point, I agree with RLFD14 - the slide show was a joke. I managed to get through it all, but that more due to opening a second session so that I could cross reference the questions. They were very poorly worded and often ambiguous at best.

Not that it means much for anyone, just a curiosity point really. I was checking certification dates, and noted that on my ICS100, I received certification on 11 September 2001. I wrote the exam about 2 weeks earlier, but it took till then for it to be processed, and that was the certificate signature date.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 05-11-2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: SPELLING
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

NIMS is a very boring subject on its own, reading word for word doesn't help. I took 700 in a classroom for 4 hours one Saturday morning.........I did 100 online and didn't have any trouble. My area doesn't require 200 unless you are or plan on ever being an officer...........that will probably change...........
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

MembersZone Subscriber

For Grant application puposes, all members of Fx Co F&RD are required to take it.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Default Personel Levels & NIMS

OK...
    This is what I am getting from this whole thing.
    Why can't this be written somewhere easy to understand.

If you are a FF/EMT/First Responder you need: 100 & 700.
    If you are a line officer you need 100, 200 & 700.
    If you are a chief officer you need 100, 200, 700 & 800 (& 300 in 07)
    If you are the chief 100, 200, 700, 800 ( 300 & 400 in 07)

Please comment!

MembersZone Subscriber

OK...
    This is what I am getting from this whole thing.
    Why can't this be written somewhere easy to understand.
    Because that would take all the "fun" out of it.

Forum Member

and just to muddy the waters, it's not only Chief officers, it's a Command officer. So, you may be only a Lt., but the Command officer at a scene, which then leads back to that 300 and 400 level stuff. And to clear the mud more, call 4 of the NIMS people and ask for clarification on that part.....and you will get 4 different answers.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    call 4 of the NIMS people and ask for clarification on that part.....and you will get 4 different answers.
    When did the IRS take over NIMS?
    -------------------

Thread Information