Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Missouri State Trooper LODD

A Missouri Highway Patrol trooper was struck and killed Wednesday as he stood along the side of I-44 near Strafford.
    The Highway Patrol identified the trooper as John Anthony "Jay" Sampietro, 36, a corporal, who had been with the Patrol since 1992. Sampietro had been assigned to Troop D in Springfield since March, 2003.

Patrol spokesman Sgt. Dan Bracker said Sampietro was at the site near Strafford, helping investigate a fatal accident that claimed the lives of four people Monday. He was assisting the Patrol`s accident reconstruction team on the left shoulder of the interstate, when a sport utility vehicle struck him. The vehicle dragged him into the median, Bracker said.

Dia Bailey of Falcon, Missouri, saw the impact. She said she saw Sampietro standing behind his car, waving at on-coming traffic, then saw the SUV hit him. Bailey and her husband immediately stopped, and Bailey, who is a certified nurses assistant, ran to help Sampietro. She said Sampietro received severe injuries to the lower part of his body. "I held his head. I think he was going into shock because he asked for help getting up and I told him `don`t get up`."

The trooper was rushed to a Springfield hospital where he died a short time later. "I did all I could for him. I just wanted to be there for him," Bailey said.

Bracker, who graduated from the Patrol academy with Sampietro, described him as a very conscientious trooper, "He loved the Patrol," Bracker said. "He always had a smile on his face." Bracker said it was unclear if charges would be filed against the driver of the SUV.

Sampietro was married and had two children. His wife, Jennifer, is a dispatcher for Troop D and was working Wednesday at the time of the accident. Funeral arrangements are pending.

http://kolr10.com/news/default.asp?m...ownews&id=3664

This trooper is a former member of my fire department. He was a Captain for a short time. He left the department about 8 months or so ago because of time constraints with the Patrol and his family. It was quite a shock yesterday hearing his name. He was one of the few State Patrolmen with a sincere personality. He liked everyone and tried to help everyone. He was one of the nicest guys you would ever met. Please pray for his family during this critical time in their lives.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

Our condolences go out to your dept. and his family.

We were just talking at the table about how Interstate MVA's are probably the most dangerous situation we are put in on an almost daily basis at our dept.

An unfortunate tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by FHandz15
    Our condolences go out to your dept. and his family.

We were just talking at the table about how Interstate MVA's are probably the most dangerous situation we are put in on an almost daily basis at our dept.

An unfortunate tragedy.

Ditto. It just makes me sick that we keep seeing reports like this.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information