Forum Member

Default Fire Degree Question?

Has anyone had any experience with Columbia Southern Universitys Fire Science online program?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Degrees

I have not had any experience with Columbia Southern's degree program in particular, but a word of caution.....Make sure you chack out the accreditation of any degree program. A reputable college will be accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools or SACS. Colleges located on the west coast will be accredited by WACS or Western Association, and likewise for schools in the mid-west, etc. Many colleges claim to be accredited, but check them out. Go to the US Dept of Education web site and read what they say about various accretidations.

There are a bunch of colleges that look legit, but many are nothing more than "degree mills". This means that you give them a bunch of money and they automatically give you a "bogus" degree. They say your degree is based on nothing but "life experience". You will not take classes or tests, or anything. That should throw up a red flag. The degrees are basically worthless pieces of paper.

The old saying, "if it looks to good to be true, it usually is". Do youself a favor, find a legit school and earn the degree by doing the work, taking tests, etc. A bogus degree could cause you problems later on. Look at the problems going on right now in the San Antonio Fire Dept. That sums it up!

Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Columbia Southern BS Fire Science

I am presently working on my BS in Fire Science through Columbia Southern University in Orange Beach Alabama. Nothing but good things to say, and they are a real college, not a diploma mill.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LtMedic35
    I am presently working on my BS in Fire Science through Columbia Southern University in Orange Beach Alabama. Nothing but good things to say, and they are a real college, not a diploma mill.
    I offer this advice to anyone considering or currently enrolled in online colleges. Call a couple of local four-year university admissions offices and ask if they will take transfer credits from said online college. If even one of them says "NO", then you are probably paying for a useless piece of paper that even your own ***** would reject come wiping time!
    Anyone smart enough to go to college should know whether their school is real or a load of crap. If they have a 60 or so credit associates degree or a 120 credit BS degree (Not BA, it is a SCIENCE degree) program that requires you have at least a GED, highschool transcripts, entrance exams or placement testing, ACT or SAT if a university, it's probably legit. They should also take around two or four years, respectively, to complete. If the program can be completed in a few months, or for a few hundred dollars, it's a scam!
    College is expensive. Check and see if you can get assistance from the government. If you qualify but the government still won't give you help because it doesn't recognize that school, no one else will recognize it either.
    Good luck,
    KC

P.S. If you are getting "Life Experience" credit, STOP PAYMENT ON THAT CHECK YOU SENT!
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

Thread Information