Default Dates of 10 Questions

Going back through the forums - it looks like there has been 5 rounds:

May 25
    June 16
    June 22
    July 11
    August 8

Does this sound right?

Wondering of these rounds of questions, how many of them will be awarded this week (Aug 20).

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Should be everything but the 1199A links that came out last week as most of those folks didn't get the questions yet. ~2,000 will be on the list tomorrow, close to half of the 5,400 expected.

Forum Member

I have seen messages from those receiving questions in May and to June 16th. Help desk said that it would be just "round 1" receipients this week.
    We have not been notified yet, and do not expect to until ther earliest next week.
    Last edited by 4caster; 08-18-2005 at 01:21 PM.
    BAClair

Forum Member

Does this mean if we haven't heard from our Congressman that we won't be awarded this week?

Forum Member

I wouldn't say that. Sometimes, they give the courtesy call to grease the skids, per se. But, based on last year, when we received the call, and this year, where our two neighbors received calls, I am going to side on caution and wait.
    BAClair

MembersZone Subscriber

We will be announced tomorrow and we received the 1199A update on 7/7 and the questions on 7/11.

Beth

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chief47
    Does this mean if we haven't heard from our Congressman that we won't be awarded this week?
    (Sorry this reply is late...was away from my computer most of the day)

But, no it does not mean that. In fact, my home dept. here in NC is hopefully among the fortunate tomorrow and has received grants the past 2 previous years. We have NEVER received a phone call from anyone prior to being funded. I have tried speaking with the folks in the local politicians office. Just not popular to call a small, rural volunteer FD in NC today, I guess. That's ok. Since we rc'd questions May 25, we're very optimistic and pretty sure we're on the list, with an award number and all. GOOD LUCK!

Forum Member

We had our questions arrive on 7/27

Forum Member

Default updated dates

Going back through the forums - it looks like there has been 6 rounds:

May 25
    June 16
    June 22
    July 11
    July 27
    August 8

Pikehole25 - did you get announced today? We didn't (questions 8/8) so well keep our fingers crossed for next week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 10 questions

We also recieved our ten questions on 7/27/05.

Forum Member

What are the chances of getting an award if we have not got the question's or the 1199a update as of yet.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well, 16,000 denials and 3,500 awards left to give out, so I would say not much different than before this round. There is a limit of $162,500,000 on vehicle awards, and today took care of $93,453,149 of it. Vehicles were a 1 in 10 shot from the beginning, Ops and Safety was a 1 in 4 shot.

FYI, according to the release the notification deadline has moved from Sept 30th to October sometime, so the final awards won't be publicly announced, but I believe that all of the DJs and 1199As will still have been given out by then.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default BC79er

Hi Brian~
    Have you happened to hear if they plan on doing one big round of DJs or if they will do one sometime soon and another one later? It seems that if they plan to have all this stuff done by September's end, they could get away with one round of DJs. With all the awardees that have been announced and the ones who have had some form of indication, it seems that I should start licking my wounds now. Whaddaya think?
    Kelly

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Last I had chatted with DC, the first DJ round would be around the beginning of September, which would be the denials going to those that did not make it into Peer Review. There will be about 12,000 of those. AThe other round will be those that did not do well in Peer Review. There will be that small contingent that will have different wording, something along the lines of if there is spare money you may get your award. These are the folks that usually got denied in February. As the orders come in and people send back excess money, some extra awards should filter out. But the timing on those probably won't be until next year, most likely after the 2006 app period, since they won't know who has extra money until after the grants have been closed out.

Forum Member

mitchkrat........no grant today, we are keeping fingers crossed that next week will be our time (God willing)

Forum Member

We received the 1199A update on 7/8 and the questions on 7/11.
    We were not notified today. We did not make the "list".

I am still hopeful. We are poor and VERRRYYY needy.

I hope someone will post a probable schedule for future rounds so we can stress some more .

Congratulations to all who got it today.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Every Friday from here until they're out of money. They only skip days if it's a holiday. If not, they have been letting everyone know that there won't be awards on a particular Friday, they did it a couple of times last year. The communications are a ton better than way back when. Further proof that the people that run this program listen to us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Computer Scoring

BC~
    Is it safe to say that if you made it past the computer scoring in previous years you will make it past this year also? Do they change those requirements? We were denied March 2 for the 2004 grants. That would be way to late to be notification for not making it past the computer, correct?
    Kelly

MembersZone Subscriber

I know when we got dear john letters in the past it said. "It is not possible for us to provide a detailed account of how each individual application was rated in the competitive process. However, we can tell you that a panel of your fire service peers reviewed your application."

FH Mag/.com Contributor

In past years the only round of DJs that didn't make Peer Review was the first one, usually in September. The letter used to say that the application was not ranked high enough to move on to the second level of review. All of the other DJ rounds were those that did make it past computer scoring. This year should be the same, the DJ round 1 of 2 expected will be those not passing the computer, the 2nd round will be those not scoring high enough after peer review.

Is it safe to say that if you made it past the computer scoring in previous years you will make it past this year also?
    No, not really. It depends on everything in the application. Because thousands of awards are given out every year, thousands of departments go for something different the next year. Also, thousands more change their project because of their analysis after the denial. So if don't change anything, you still might not score well by the computer. Even if you do, remember so are 10,000+ others, and since less than half go to PR each year, never assume you'll make it past the computer just because you did before. Each year is it's own program. With that being said...

Do they change those requirements?
    Seeing as the Program Guidance documents haven't changed too much, no there really hasn't been much change in the computer algorithms. Minor adjustments to ensure compliance with the PGs, but nothing that can't be figured out with a little time and some experience in analyzing complex business systems and writing software to adhere to specific rules and regulations. For those that didn't realize, that's what I do full-time for a billion dollar company.

Although I'm working on escaping the cubicle and working on grant and other consulting work for FDs full-time. Not there yet. That would be my happy job.

Forum Member

Just received our ten questions today. wooohooo keeping my fingers crossed good luck all
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Thread Information