Thread: Fire Lanes

Forum Member

Default Fire Lanes

We run into people in my district on a regular basis who insist on parking their cars in the fire lane. I was just curious as to whether anybody else has a big problem with this, and how do you handle it?

Forum Member

Citations, or tow. Simple fix.

Forum Member

Pushbars on front of fire engines? j/k of course
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    Pushbars on front of fire engines? j/k of course
    Why don't you advocate lighting them on fire?

Forum Member

No fire lanes in my Volunteer district, but they are every where at the plant I work at. At work we give a citation, contact the owner, and if vehicle is not moved within 30 minutes it gets towed.
    "WAS THAT BEFORE OR AFTER YOU REALIZED YOU WERE STANDING IN A $#@%*&% PUDDLE OF GASOLINE?"

Forum Member

Have P.D. issue citations (unless it is allowed for F.D.) seems to work well. If there is no response from the owner/opreator have the vehicle removed from the fire lane.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

because that only leads to 1 more fire you have to put out, and a distraction from the original fire of course
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

I think its a big problem all over. If it looks like they are going to be there/have been there a while, we call PD.

We have a super market in our area. People love to pull into the fire lans and run to the ATM. Whenever we run a call there and I find this, I block them in with the engine. That way, they have to hang around till we're finished.

Belive it or not, we had one bozo who once called PD to complian we had him blocked in. He continued to wait on us, and went home with a ticket.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Like everyone we have this problem as well. If we are on a call to that location and need to park where or near they are we also will block them in. As an officer on the engine we do not issue tickets for this violation. We have to call for someone from the Fire Marshalls office or P.D. this may take a while for them to respond. If we are at the location to pick up something like groceries for the nightly meal or out on inpections I will walk in front of the car and act like I am talking on my radio. The person in most cases figures I am calling the police and they will normally move right then. I am not really calling but they do not know that, if they act like they are not going to move then I will call for someone to stop by.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Good comments by all. If I'm going to the store for a call (usually medical), people will move out of the way when they see me rolling up code 3. I usually see people parked in the fire lane when we go to the store for food. Most of the time we nose right up to their bumper or back up within inches from their car (if the car is unattended). If they're in the car, a quick toot with the airhorn usually sends them on their way. But most people leave the fire lane when they see us coming. In fact, I really don't have a problem with them parking in the fire lane as long as they move when the engine shows up.

Forum Member

If the fire lane was put way out in the back of the lot, people would stop using them.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

Exclamation

In NY, many of the people apparently believe "Those signs don't apply to ME, do they?"

It's ALL about ME!
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Forum Member

There is not much parking space at our station(the only parking spaces are across the street from the station) so our city installed "Firemen Parking Only" signs for about half of the block and painted the curb; people still find it necessary to park there and so when we get a call we make sure to park our vehicles in a manner which does not allow them to move it . We usually have a deputy come and have a talk with the owner of the vehicle or to issue citations whichever he sees fit.

Forum Member

Our Chief notified the owner of the market (that we have the most problems with) that if he had a fire and the lane was blocked he would put it in his report for the insurance company. Since then the store enforces the lane themselves.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Forum Member

Our Chief notified the owner of the market (that we have the most problems with) that if he had a fire and the lane was blocked he would put it in his report for the insurance company. Since then the store enforces the lane themselves.
    Very interesting PFD. We had a grocery store manager make a complaint to our HQ about us parking in the fire lane. Apparently he thought that the engine was a hazard to his patrons coming in and out of the store. He also thought that our exhaust might hurt some of the flowers he had sitting outside. Our deputy chief told us to park somewhere else. So we opted to shop at another grocery store.

Forum Member

So do you think it's a little hypocritical to cite, nudge, block civilians who park in the fire lane, yet park the rig there is you're not there on a call?

Forum Member

Write them a ticket.

And to answer LFD's question, at our shopping centers that have thousands of people through in a day, we have no place to park our trucks other than the fire lane.

And most of the time we're there, we're on official business. That being, calls, inspections, or buying stuff that we need for the department (batteries, etc). So, it's not hypocritical because we're there for a fire department related purpose, not because we're too lazy to walk up the aisle.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Not being with a paid department, I'm not real familiar with running to the store in the engine...however, a few things occur to me:

1. You're not going to get the engine into a standard parking space. That leaves your only other option, parking at the far end of the lot. I think this is unacceptable, as it places the crew too far from the rig for a timely response if they get a call while in the store.

2. If, by some incredible coincidence, a fire breaks out at the store while the engine is out parked in the fire lane, who are they in the way of? Aren't they already parked in the spot they would be parking in if they were responding to the location?

3. Mutts who have nothing better to do than complain about fire engines parking in the fire lane need to get a life.....

The fire lane is for the fire department's use...tell 'em if they want to park there, join the fire department.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

We go to a grocery store quite frequently in our first due for medicals and A.F.A.'s now and then. We pull close enough to the people in the fire lane to let them know that they are in the way, if they are parked near the particualr entrance we have been directed to. P.D. responds to all medicals in our town, so if they are still there when the cop shows up, he usually handles it. I don't bother with them, as that is not the reason we are there. As for parking there when we go there to shop, we try not to do that too frequently. We try to bring what we need to eat to work if we plan on cooking. When we do have to shop, we park out of the way, on the side of the store. Not a positive image for the public to see us parked in the fire lane when we are there to shop. The pump operator stays with the rig and monitors the main channel, as there are some dead spots in the store. On the off chance we don't hear a call for us over the main channel, he can raise us via his portable over channel 2, a talk around fireground channel, that both of us also monitor. (Our radios are set up to be able to scan the main channel but still hear and talk over the FG channel as well.)
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Forum Member

I'm with Chief Leblanc... If we get a call, I don't want to have to be running across the parking lot dodging cars flying around and backing out of parking spaces to get to the rig. It's hard to go help people if you're laying in the parking lot with a broken leg. We used to not be allowed to park in the fire lane when on non-emergency details because somebody complained, and it drove me nuts, but we're allowed to now. At our local grocery store, they actually made part of the fire lane a "loading zone" for people to load groceries, which is fine because the fire lane was huge, but nobody parks there, they still use the fire lane. If I was parked in a fire lane and a fire truck pulled up behind me, I'd be like, uh, yeah, I was just leaving, and I would disappear. Most people just sit there and pretend you don't exist. It's not worth losing sleep over though.
    LT Lou DiMattia
    Willoughby Hills Fire Department
    Willoughby Hills, OH USA

It's your world buddy, we're just livin' in it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HFRH28
    Citations, or tow. Simple fix.
    Skip citations... Just TOW thos dumbasses! Everyone in there right mind who has a drivers license knows this rule.

I hate people who dont think.
    "You don't know what a real family is until you spend a day at the firehouse"

Visit my "fire stories blog" here.

Early Adopter

Thumbs up I'm sure it's a problem everywhere, but the engine doesn't add to it...

As long as there are fire lanes, they'll be people parking in them. One of our bigger problems is the bread truck delivering to the grocery stores. Not only does he park in the fire lane, he likes to park and block the front door. I can't believe store management allows it. If people have us blocked or are causing a problem consistently, we notify PD to take action.

As for parking in the fire lane -- no way. Unless we're there responding to a call, we don't park in the fire lane. The walk to the rig isn't that far if we do catch a run... and we aren't guilty of doing the exact thing we complain about others doing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Almost forgot. Mr. Ferguson, the starter of this thread....Is your real name Norm MacDonald, playing Burt Reynolds? LOL, I get it.........
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Coz Has A Point.......................

We do not leave a piece of apparatus unattended. Our usual thing is the Driver drops off the crew, then cruises out to the open spaces at the outer area of the lot, and hangs out there. If I, or someone goes to the store in a Chief's Buggy, we park in a regular space, like everyone else. Our cops write tickets, always when we ask, and folks get bent out of shape at the County Parking Authority, and not the VFD (I don't think they're bright enough to figure out that we called the cops). There is one point to make here: There is a difference between PARKING and STANDING, at least here anyway. Pulling up next to a curb, turning off the car, and getting out of it, constitutes parking. Standing is when the driver remains in the drivers seat. Our biggest problem for parking in a Fire Lane? Blockbuster Video. No Question. Cop was writing a ticket for an illegally parked car, and a woman pulled up behind the one that was being ticketed, looked at the cop, got out, locked the car, and walked into the store. Cop finished the first ticket, then wrote the Darwin Candidate as well. She came out, ignored the ticket under the wiper and started off. Long story short, she only got about a hundred yards before a VERY upset cop stopped her. She got a second ticket for not removing the first ticket before moving the vehicle. Oh Yeah, On a OBVIOUS working Fire many years ago, I pushed a Mustang about fifteen feet with my pumper, in order to get to a hydrant. Car owner showed up, got totally obscene, and was jailed for disorderly conduct.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I still like the picture of a car with soft suction in one side window, and out the other to get the hydrant. Precious if I ever saw it.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Thread Information