Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber jsdobson's Avatar

Default Accidents involving fire hose

Looking for any reports involving fire hose falling off an apparatus and causing an accident. In particular, the incident a year or two ago where a section of hose struck two girls on a sidewalk.

Thanks for your help,
    Dobber
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

We have only had one instance where 1,1/2 has fallen off the truck about 3 lengths but did not do any damage going threw a intersection. How ever a neighboring department had portable water main come off and damaged a few cars. Lucky for them nobody was hurt. Besides those 2 instance's that i can recall in my 12 years nothing else has happened.

We now all have tarps on our trucks to help prevent it from happening again.

Forum Member

Neighboring city responding to a mutual aid lost the Humat valve and it lodged under a Camero. Major damage to the vehicle but no injuries. One of our engines lost its entire load of 5" supply line when driving down the freeway. It was the straightest lay you have ever seen. Crew was a little embarassed at the situation.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

My (former) chief dropped most of a 1200 ft. hosebed on the highway one day...fun picking that up....

We also had an incident with a 25' x 3" suction that we keep in a trough in the running board under the pump panel. We kept the end of it connected to the 3" inlet for quick hydrant hookups. One day en route to a grass fire the loose end of the hose bounced out of the trough and got under the driver's side rear tire. It yanked the fitting clean off the inlet piping (actually sheared off the whole pipe just behind the coupling) No injuries but it cost a few bucks to have the inlet piping replaced

BTW, we don't keep it connected anymore

Speaking of 25' suctions, how many of you keep one handy at the pump panel? And if you do, do you refer to it as a "pony suction"? That's the term we've always used, but I'm not sure if it's just a local thing or if it's a commonly used term....never seen any other reference to it.
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 08-19-2005 at 11:03 PM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Like BFDLT32 says, 1,000 feet of LDH laid off at 65 MPH is as straight as can be. When the last coupling came off, it wrapped around the grab bar at the back. Pulled the bar back in a V shape, and folded the stanchions(sp) with the rear strobes and spot/flood lights in to where they almost touched each other.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LFD2203
    Like BFDLT32 says, 1,000 feet of LDH laid off at 65 MPH is as straight as can be. When the last coupling came off, it wrapped around the grab bar at the back. Pulled the bar back in a V shape, and folded the stanchions(sp) with the rear strobes and spot/flood lights in to where they almost touched each other.
    Were you on the engine

Sounds just like the incident I described.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Neighboring company in amherst ny lost 1 1/2 2 lengths going to a call. The dented a few car doors

Quote Originally Posted by jsdobson
    Looking for any reports involving fire hose falling off an apparatus and causing an accident. In particular, the incident a year or two ago where a section of hose struck two girls on a sidewalk.

Thanks for your help,
    Dobber

Is this the story you were looking for? I found it by doing a search for "Girl struck by hose"

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...rl+struck+hose
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

dmlebanc, We have 25 foot sections of 5" in troughs next to the pump panel too, and we call them pony sections as well. I have no idea where the name from.

Back on topic, We have had a bunch of incidents in the last year or so. One a preconnect flew out of the tray while we were going around a turn,(actually that happened twice) and we kept losing 5" off the back. The wind would catch the last flake and off it would go! Then about six months ago, one of our guys was driving on the freeway to get the engine serviced and lost the entire load of 5". Good thing he had a trail car or he would have had a surprise when he showed up and the mechanic!

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by elswappo
    dmlebanc, We have 25 foot sections of 5" in troughs next to the pump panel too, and we call them pony sections as well. I have no idea where the name from.

Back on topic, We have had a bunch of incidents in the last year or so. One a preconnect flew out of the tray while we were going around a turn,(actually that happened twice) and we kept losing 5" off the back. The wind would catch the last flake and off it would go! Then about six months ago, one of our guys was driving on the freeway to get the engine serviced and lost the entire load of 5". Good thing he had a trail car or he would have had a surprise when he showed up and the mechanic!
    I was just wondering....I've never seen any reference to a pony suction in any of the training manuals...wasn't sure if it was a regional thing.

We don't have 5", the hose we lost was 3". A simple fix to keep the wind from flipping the hose out of the bed....run a bungee cord or one of those tie-down straps across the top of the hosebed a foot or two from the front...keeps the top flake from flipping up and catching wind, and easier to re-rack than with a tarp or other cover. (we don't use hosebed covers around here much).
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Quote Originally Posted by PFire23
    Is this the story you were looking for? I found it by doing a search for "Girl struck by hose"

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...rl+struck+hose
    PFire,
    Yes!!! That's the one!!

Thank you a bunch.

Dobber
    BE SAFE

Folks,

Your responses have been great. Please add more if you have them.

Dobber
    BE SAFE

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I have seen a 3" line drop off of the engine but no damage was done. Just a confused look on engineer's face when he got to the back of the vehicle. The pony hose is usually a 2 1/2" or 3" hose that is used in conjunction with a large diameter supply line when using a deck gun or monitor. We carry a hydrant gate valve that is put on one of the 2 1/2" ports on the hydrant before the hydrant is opened. Then if the master stream is not quite getting enough water a pony hose can be connected without shutting down the hydrant.

Thread Information