Forum Member

Default Command Light defects

We have two pumpers equipped with Command Light brand light towers. I believe they are the CL605 model with the "AutoPark" feature.

Both of these lights have been causing us problems over the last 6 to 8 months such as:

- When the AutoPark button is pressed, the light stops. The engineer has to keep the button pressed in order for the AutoPark feature to work.

- The motors that rotates and elevates the unit sometimes lock up or do not stop when the user stops pressing the movement control.

- When bedded, the light may rotate horizontally without user interaction.

We have been told that the problems we are having cannot be fixed and we should start looking into purchasing new command lights.

My Question

Has anyone else out there seen problems with the Command Light brand of light towers? I don't mean to put this brand down, they work great, when they work. I would like to see if anyone has had these problems and how the problems were fixed, or are they continuing?

Thanks

Bob

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't feel bad, we've got a Wil-Burt light tower that auto stows whenever it feels like it, so you're not alone.

Apparently, the rescue gremlins are hard at work, as the problem can never be duplicated by service personnel, so therefore, we're all hallucinating.

One of these days someone will likely auto stow the thing permanently, if you know what I mean. I'm personally waiting for it to auto extend, and be destroyed by trees, powerlines, bridge, etc.

Find satisfaction in knowing light tower problems aren't brand specific.

Forum Member

We have a Shadow RT on our rescue. Have had a couple glitches where it would get stuck in the up position and would not stow without beating on the arm with a pike pole. Local dealer came out, took it off the truck and sent it back to the factory at no charge to us. Have not had any problems since.

The Autopark on ours is not automatic, you have to hold the button down to stow the light. One thing we did add to the control box was a power switch so that the unit is turned completely off when it is not being used.

Forum Member

Default Command Light Problem

I've heard of adjustment problems with the odd one before and I've got a number of them in service in Canada.

Have you contacted the OEM or Dealer whom you purchased the apparatus from? If not call them first or to expedite things call Command Light at 1 800 525 5224 and their customer service will help you right away as the company is very responsive to a problem.

Forum Member

Default Command Light Help

I know people that work at Command Light and told them of your problem. If you call 1-800-797-7974 and ask for Kevin Schussler or Steve Sekavec, they can help work through the problem.

Forum Member

Wink lite tower gremlins

We have the Wilburt towers and had some problems associated with the remote control unit switches and circuit board. R&R circuit board with switches and problem gone. Said it before and say it again electronics has no place in fire service unless they can make it bullet proof.

Forum Member

The autopark is supposed to be held until the park is completed and the green light goes out.

We have had alot of problems with our as far as when we first got it, it would not raise. Found one of their relays inside the box on the light went bad. Replaced, now the autopark doesn't work. Got to go buy another relay for that one. I don't know who makes their relays, but they need to find another manufacturer.

I personally like the light, just not impressed with the motor functions of it.

Forum Member

Ours seems kind of flimsy, sometimes it will get stuck while raised (don't think I have figured that one out yet) and if great care is not taken that it doesn't lower an extra 1/4" past the hook that keeps it stowed, it will break something while going down the road...I forget what. It is not used very much. I think I prefer the Churchville telescoping lights better. Much simpler and less to go wrong.

Birken

Forum Member

Thank you for all of the information. I'm going to forward a copy of this thread to the equipment manager. Maybe we can get some assistance from Command Light.

I'll post a summary of our attempts.

Thanks again!!

x

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Replacing our Command Light

We have had nothing but problems since sending our light tower back to Command Light for a new motor (or something like that). Don't know if it is an installation problem(local dealer) or Command Light problem but we are researching new lights to replace our hunk of sh**.

Wanting to hear success stories of light towers you have purchased and use regularly, including customer service from local dealers or manufacturers. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Forum Member

We have two Will-Burt NS6-3000 towers (6' Night Scan Chiefs, with two 1500 Watt Appleton lights on each) on our first-run engines. Occassionally (maybe once a year) they will blow their control fuses if we don't get the PM done on them often enough. Seems to be caused by road crud causing the spring-clamp "saddle" that the tower beds into hanging up. They get stuck, then the fuse goes. Changing it is a PITA - you have to take about 8 (hard to reach) fasteners out of one side cover to get to the fuse. As long as we keep up the maintenance, they work fine. Awesome amount of light, one guy can get it operational in about 30 seconds without climbing up onto anything. Only other complaint - $$$$$$ - they're about $6500 each!

Anyone have good/bad experience with Will-Burt's big pneumatic towers (the 30 - 40 foot vertical animals) with 1.21 gigawatt of lighting on top? Considering one on a new heavy rescue...
    R.A. Ricciuti
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Light towers...any one else out there?

We need another light tower builder out there. Willburt is good, but expensive and plan to stay that way. There are better towers in the industry, but they do not typically come with a light package. Does anyone know of a different or better light tower (Besides command light)?

Forum Member

We had a problem with our Wil-Burt light tower where it would go up but the mast wouldn't fold down after it was retracted. Turns out that it was a cracked circuit board. That was 6 years ago. Haven't had any issues since.

Thread Information