Thread: bugles

Forum Member

Default bugles

can anyone tell me what the difference in ranking of 2 bugles crossed and 2 bugles side by side. thanks

Disillusioned Subscriber

2 side by side is Captain; 2 crossed is Battalion Chief
    Last edited by Steamer; 08-20-2005 at 12:56 AM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by martinpl
    can anyone tell me what the difference in ranking of 2 bugles crossed and 2 bugles side by side. thanks
    5 Bugles - Chief
    4 Bugles - Deputy Chief
    3 Bugles - Asst. Chief
    2 Bugles Crossed - Dist. Chief
    2 Bugles Parallel - Captain
    1 Bugle - Lieutenant

Forum Member

thanks that is what i thought but i wasnt sure. i am a new hire at my department it was a question chief told me to find out. does any body know what the stick with a cresent and a ball is, it is in the middle of a lot of maltese crosses. thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by martinpl
    As you can already see, it varies fromplace to place......

1 - Lieutenant
    2 (parallel) - Captain
    2 (Crossed) Asst. District Chief
    3 - District Chief
    4 Asst. Chief
    5 Chief
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire Fighters are identified by and are very proud of the badge that identifies them with their department. The majority of fire fighter's badges are in the shape of the Maltese Cross. Why the Maltese Cross? The Maltese Cross is a symbol of protection and a badge of honor with a story that is hundreds of years old.

A courageous band of Crusaders from Malta, known as the knights of St. John, fought the Saracens for possession of the Holy Land. The need for an identifiable emblem for knights had become crucial. Because of the extensive armor which covered their entire bodies and faces, the knights were unable to distinguish friend from foe in battle. They chose the cross of Calvary as their symbol, since they fought their battles as a holy cause. The cross was later called the "Maltese Cross" and represented the principles of charity, loyalty, chivalry, gallantry, generosity to friend and foe, protection of the weak, and dexterity in service. The Knights encountered a new weapon unknown to European warriors. It was a simple but horrible device of war; it wrought excruciating pain and agonizing death upon the brave fighters for the Cross. The Saracen's weapon was fire!!

As the Crusaders advanced over the walls of the city they were struck by glass bombs containing naphtha. When they became saturated with the highly flammable liquid, the Saracen's hurled a flaming tree into their midst. Hundreds of Knights were burned alive. Others were called upon to perform heroic deeds by rescuing fellow knights and extinguishing fires. In acknowledgement of these feats, the cross worn by these knights was decorated and inscribed. This was considered a most honorable acclaim. Thus these men became our first fire fighters and the first of a long list of courageous fire fighters.

The Maltese Cross is your symbol of protection. It means that the fire fighter who wears this cross is willing to lay down his/her life for you, just as crusaders sacrificed their lives for their fellow man so many years ago. The Maltese Cross is a fire fighter's badge of honor, signifying that he or she works in courage....a ladder-rung away from death.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Dept.
    5 Gold - Chief
    4 Gold Dep. Chief
    3 Gold 1st Asst. Chief
    2 Gold (Crossed) 2nd Asst. Chief
    2 Silver Parrallel Capt's
    1 Silver Lt's
    Hope this helps

Forum Member

Lightbulb My FD's rank structure...

Contrary to popular belief, those are not "bugles" on the badge and collar pins of the officer ranks, but plungers.

Lieutenants have one plunger, for they deal with company level crap.

Captains have two, for they deal with their own company level crap in addition to the stuff dished out by the Lieutenants.

Deputy Chiefs have three plungers.. for the crap they get from the Lieutenants, Captains and the crap that floats down from the Chief's office.

Chiefs have 5 plungers, because they deal with crap from the Lieutenants, Captains, Deputies, City Hall and John Q. Public!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 08-21-2005 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling error
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Tyler, that is a question I've asked before, so thanks for the explanation about the maltese cross.

Gonz, I've seen yours before, but it's still funny as hell.
    There goes the neighborhood.

MembersZone Subscriber

2 crossed = Lt.
    3 crossed = Capt.
    4 crossed = Asst. Chief
    5 crossed = Cheif
    LT/EMT Wright
    I A C O J
    LOXLEY WARRIORS
    All opinions expressed are solely of my personal opinion and in no way reflect those of my department. This is for those of you who use a large stick to stir excrement.

Early Adopter

Lightbulb Well, actually...

I'm surprised that no one has made statement that they aren't bugles, but are speaking trumpets. It's a technicality, sure... But if you're doing research, you might as well know the true terminology.

BTW, in our department, five crossed "bugles" is for the chief. We have no assistant or deputy chief. So, three crossed bugles are on the fire marshal's badge. Two parallel bugles are for captains. A neighboring department uses a single bugle for driver/engineers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Gonzo - ROTFLMAO - ANL(All Night Long)

I'm posting that one at the station....
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Here:

1-Lt
    3 Crossed- District Chief
    4 Crossed- Assistant Chief
    5 Crossed- Chief

If we had Capt it would be 2 paralel. We used to have a "Shift Commander" rank as well as EMS and Training Officers with 2 croosed, but they are now DC's.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

The story of St Florian was covered in the Feb 2000 Firehouse magazine but I will try to pass on as much as I can recall from the article.
    St.Florian is the patron Saint of firefighters.He had been a Roman soldier who specialized in fight fires and enforcing the fire covering orders during marches.He wore purple crest on his helmet to differentiate him from other officers.
    He also was a Christian who had been ordered to refute his beliefs or face execution.
    When he refused,the Caesar ordered that his execution be carried out by drowning but no one wanted to carry out the deed until a man who hated Christians was found.
    He was tied to a millstone which was rolled into the river.After he drowned,a hude tidal force moved his body and the stone to a spot where it could be recovered for burial.
    His body was carried until,legend has it,an ox horn scraped the earth and a spring flowed from the ground.He was buried in what later became Austria.
    I cannot recall the name of the town and will fill in the blank spots of I can find my copy of that issue.I apologize for this lack of my education.

MembersZone Subscriber

1. What is the history of National Fire Prevention Week?

In 1911 the Fire Marshals Association of North America decided the 40th anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire should be observed in a manner to inform the public about fire prevention and fire safety and Fire Prevention Day was observed on October 11, 1911.

In 1920 President Woodrow Wilson issued the first National Fire Prevention Day proclamation. In 1925 President Calvin Coolidge proclaimed the first Fire Prevention Week , October 4-10, 1925.

2. Who was St Florian?

Born in 250 AD he was a member of the Roman Army and was sentenced to death by fire by Emporer Diocletian when he refused to follow orders and persecute all Christians in the area. Standing on the pile erected to be set on fire killing him, Florian challenged the Roman soldiers to start the fire and said, " If you do, I will climb to heaven on the flames." Fearful of Florian, the soldiers had him drowned instead.

Florian was made a Saint by Pope Lucius III, and later a person was reported to have been saved from fire by praying to St. Florian. Since then St. Florian has generally been regarded as the patron Saint of the fire service.

3. Why is the Maltese Cross the symbol of the fire service?

Also known as the Cross Pattee-Nowry. The symbol is essentially borrowed from the Kights of St John of Jerusalem, a charitable organization that helped the sick and poor by building hospitals and clinics. Later, they assisted the Knights of the Crusades in an effort to assist the Island of Malta - from which the Maltese Cross derives its name.

4. What are the word's to the Fireman's Prayer?

When I am called to duty, God, whenever flames may rage,
    Give me strength to save some life, whatever be its age.
    Help me embrace a little child before it is too late
    Or save an older person from the horror of that fate.
    Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout,
    And quickly and efficiently to put the fire out.
    I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me,
    To guard my every neighbor and protect his property.
    And if, according to my fate, I am to lose my life,
    Please bless with your protecting hand my children and my wife.

5. Why are Dalmations considered firehouse dogs?

Dogs were helpful to direct and guard horses during the era of the horse drawn fire engine. Dalmations were favored probably because of their size, friendly nature, ability to train, and ability to care for themselves. Likewise urban and nearby departments gave away puppies as new litters were born thus creating a fire service tradition.

6. What were the worst fires in the history of the world? (since 1835)

Date Location Deaths
    May 1845 Canton China 1,670
    October 8, 1871 Peshtigo, WI - forest fire 1,182
    December 8, 1881 Ring Theater, Vienna 850
    December 30, 1903 Iroquois Theater, Chicago 602
    December 23, 1995 Schoolhouse, India 500+
    November 2, 1994 Burning fuel flood, Egypt 500
    November 28, 1942 Cocoanut Grove, Boston 491
    October 14, 1913 Wales, Colliery 439
    August 19, 1978 Abadan, Iran - movie theater 425+
    September 1, 1894 Minnesota - forest fire 413

7. What were the worst fires in the history of the United States? (since 1835)
    Date Location Deaths

October 8, 1871 Peshtigo, WI - forest fire 1,182
    December 30, 1903 Iriquois Theater, Chicago 602
    November 28, 1942 Cocoanut Grove, Boston 491
    September 1, 1894 Minnesota - forest fire 413
    October 12, 1918 Cloquet, MN - forest fire 400
    June 30, 1900 Hoboken, NJ - docks 326
    April 21, 1930 Columbus, OH - penitentiary 320
    December 5, 1876 Brooklyn, NY - theater 295
    October 8, 1871 Great Chicago Fire - IL 250
    April 23, 1940 Natches, MS - dance hall 198
    March 4, 1908 Collingwood, OH - school 176
    January 13, 1908 Rhoads Theater, Boyertown, PA 170
    July 6, 1944 Ringling Circus, Hartford, CT 168
    May 28, 1977 Southgate, KY - nightclub 164
    March 25, 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory, NY, NY 146
    December 7, 1946 Winecoff Hotel, Atlanta, GA 119

Forum Member

Exclamation

Martinpl, departments have called them many of things. They mean different ranks from department to department.

We call them trumpets, but there are some who called them bugles as well.

1 - Lieutenant
    2 - Captain - upright
    2 - Battalion Chief - crossed
    3 - Assistant Chief
    4 - Deputy Chief
    5 - Chief of the Department
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

For us, two vertical silver bugles is a Captain I and two crossed silver bugles is a Captain II. Each crew has one of each, with the Captain II as the CO and the Captain I as the XO.

Two crossed gold bugles is a BC.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Thread Information