Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default FF charged with negligent homicide in accident.

http://www.9and10news.com/News/story.asp?StoryID=44617

A firefighter now faces charges for the deaths of a mother and her 11 month old son. The case goes back to a March 8th crash on West Silver Lake and Zimmerman Roads outside of Traverse City. A fire truck was on its way to a fire when it crashed with an S.U.V. A family of three in the S.U.V. were taken to the hospital. The husband survived but his wife, Rebecca Garrisi and the couple's son, Jesse, later died. Yesterday , the prosecutor charged Corey Carlton with two counts of Negligent Homicide. Carlton drove the truck the day of the accident. He is currently suspended from all fire fighting duties pending the outcome of this case.
    EMT-B
    Garfield Twp. Fire Department
    http://www.garfieldfire.com

it would be nice if the article had more info, what made him negligent
    , how did the accident happen, whos fault was it ect.

Yeah - that is maybe the shortest, most useless news clip about a serious subject that I have seen in some time.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

A few years ago a firefighter in southern Vermont was charged, and later convicted of vehicular homocide when he went through a red light with an engine and hit a van, killing the driver and seriously injuring the passenger. In thAt case the driver of the truck was clearly responsible as he blew a red light at close to full speed. Not only is he serving jail time, but he also lost a civil suit and had to sell most everything to pay the judgement as the department insurance didn't help him out since he voliated written department SOPs regarding red lights.

Not enough information in this article about the circumstances in this atricle though, but it does point out that driving the apparatus is a lot risker than most firefighters, especially new firefighters, believe.

Forum Member

Greetings,

One of the EMT's I work with was t-boned in an intersection when she was running with lights and sirens - she had the red and came to a complete stop and cleared(waited for all traffic to stop) the intersection.

She received a traffic ticket - can not remeber what it was for, however, at leaSt here in Arizona if a emergency vehicle has a red light going to a call and is involved in an accident, more likely than not your going to be getting a ticket.
    Last edited by SSTONER; 08-21-2005 at 10:28 AM.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Forum Member

And how would the public feel if you stopped at every red light and response times doubled? Gimme a break.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    A few years ago a firefighter in southern Vermont was charged, and later convicted of vehicular homocide when he went through a red light with an engine and hit a van, killing the driver and seriously injuring the passenger. In thAt case the driver of the truck was clearly responsible as he blew a red light at close to full speed. Not only is he serving jail time, but he also lost a civil suit and had to sell most everything to pay the judgement as the department insurance didn't help him out since he voliated written department SOPs regarding red lights.

Not enough information in this article about the circumstances in this atricle though, but it does point out that driving the apparatus is a lot risker than most firefighters, especially new firefighters, believe.
    LA, can you PM me with some more details about where this happened? I hadn't heard anything about that, I'm sure it's a pretty hush-hush topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Default More info

I just checked the website for the Traverse City Record-Eagle. The prosecutor, who was from another county to avoid conflict of interest, says the driver of the fire vehicle did not even slow down for a red traffic light.
    There is also a question as to if he had been dis-regarded at the time of the crash.

A civil suit has also been filed by the family of the victims.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

Forum Member

343 ..

It happened in Bennington, and I want to say in like 1997 or 1998. Involved an engine that went through a red light and hit a van. I don't have a lot of other details. I also know of an event in Rutland (Town, I beleive) where another firefighter was almost charged but the State's Attorney backed off, however he was sued in civil court and settled out of court.

ChicagoFF...

I sure as hell hope that you are coming very close to a full stop EVERY RED LIGHT until your driver is 100% sure that all traffic has stopped and he has complete control of the intersection. It is the apparatus driver's responsibility to make sure that he has control before he procedes ... if he is rolling through assuming that it's a civilian's responsibility to stop and proceeding through before he is given control of that intersection, he is an accident waiting to happen. Nothing, including civilian lives that may be put at risk by the increased response times that prudent and responsible intersection management may cause, is more important than firefighter lives. Period.
    He also may be volating state law as in most states, "due care" means that you stop at the red signal before proceeding through.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    And how would the public feel if you stopped at every red light and response times doubled? Gimme a break.
    I am hoping that is sarcasm?? We are not exactly waiting for the light to turn green again.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Post A few details...........

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) - A Grand Traverse Metro Fire
    Department firefighter has been charged with negligent homicide,
    more than five months after the fire truck he was driving was
    involved in a fatal crash.
    Firefighter Cory Carlton, 26, was arraigned and released on a
    $1,000 personal-recognizance bond after surrendering Thursday. He
    could face up to two years in prison if convicted of the
    misdemeanors, the Traverse City Record-Eagle reported.
    Prosecutors allege Carlton was on the way to an emergency call
    when he sped through a stoplight March 8 and struck a sports
    utility vehicle driven by Matthew Garrisi, 28. The collision in
    Grand Traverse County's Garfield Township killed Garrisi's wife,
    Rebecca Garrisi, 28, and the couple's 11-month-old son Jesse.
    Antrim County Prosecutor Charles Koop authorized the charges.
    The state attorney general's office appointed Koop special
    prosecutor after Grand Traverse County Prosecutor Alan Schneider
    asked for a conflict-of-interest review.
    Sheriff's investigators said it appeared Carlton went through a
    red light without slowing to check for oncoming traffic. Michigan
    law says emergency vehicles may proceed past a red light "only
    after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation."
    Carlton's attorney, Roger Wotila, of Cadillac, said criminal
    charges aren't warranted.
    "It was an accident, and every accident is not a crime,"
    Wotila said. "It was a tragedy, but not a criminal action."
    Carlton returned to work shortly after the crash but was banned
    from driving emergency equipment, Fire Chief Wayne Hanna said.
    Carlton will be suspended while until the charges against him are
    resolved, Hanna said.
    Matthew Garrisi filed a civil suit against the fire department
    in June on behalf of his wife and son.
    ---
    Information from: Traverse City Record-Eagle,
    http://www.record-eagle.com

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    I don't know, ask FDNY how the public is recieving it.

also, the law say you need to stop at every red light, and you can only procede through it while using due regard. yes, many FD departments tend to blow through red lights, but they are supposed to be utilizing due regard.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I received this today from Billy G's newsletter (visit "firefighterclosecalls.com" to subscribe).

Hey....
    A Michigan firefighter has been charged in the traffic deaths of a Traverse City-area woman and her eleven-month-old son. Firefighter Cory Carlton of the Grand Traverse Metro Fire Department was arraigned Thursday on two counts of negligent homicide. Firefighter Carlton was responding to a chimney fire back in March when the fire apparatus he was driving collided with a sport utility vehicle. Rebecca Garrisi and her son Jesse were killed in the accident. Rebecca Garrisi's husband Matthew, who was driving the S-U-V, was seriously injured. The 26-year-old Carlton is free on bond. He faces up to two years in jail. Firefighter Carlton was his battalion's safety officer when the crash occurred, according to court files.

Antrim County Prosecutor Charles Koop authorized the charges. Sheriff's investigators said it appeared Carlton went through a red light without slowing to check for oncoming traffic. Michigan law says emergency vehicles may proceed past a red light "only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation." A statement of probable cause against Carlton alleges he drove "without due regard" for the safety of others and operated the fire engine at an "immoderate" rate of speed in a "reckless manner."

Carlton's attorney, Roger Wotila, of Cadillac, said criminal charges aren't warranted. "It was an accident, and every accident is not a crime," Wotila said. "It was a tragedy, but not a criminal action." Carlton returned to work shortly after the crash but was banned from driving emergency equipment, Fire Chief Wayne Hanna said. Carlton will be suspended until the charges against him are resolved, Hanna said. Matthew Garrisi filed a civil suit against the fire department in June on behalf of his wife and son.

"We feel the proper forum is the civil lawsuit and do not believe a criminal charge is in any way warranted," said Wotila. But Traverse City attorney George Thompson, who represents Garrisi in the civil suit, said Carlton should have known that sirens alone would not adequately warn motorists. "It is clear that the risks associated with the way he was driving were unreasonable," said Thompson. "We admire these people for their service, but if they are not going to follow the rules and use reasonable judgment, something has to be done."

Thompson filed interrogatories that asked the county whether Carlton had been informed that his engine was not needed at the fire call before he reached South Airport Road, a contention the county denied as "not true," according to court records. Martin thinks the case could be a lesson for drivers of emergency services vehicles. "I really want it to be brought to the public's and lawmakers' attention that more schooling should be done for firemen," said Martin. "Getting to a fire a minute sooner and risking the possibility of killing someone isn't worth it."

This kind of case knocks the wind out of all of us for a variety of reasons...after all, the firefighter's intentions were good-he was responding with his crew to "help" someone....we have all been there, but then, a horribly tragic outcome.

There are numerous discussion points on this issue that we can all use at our firehouses. Here are some important links to help your FD minimize the potential:

www.drivetosurvive.org
    http://wsfd.us/Higway%20Safety.htm
    www.ResponderSafety.com
    www.EmergencyVehicleResponse.com
    http://www.emergencydispatch.org/art...eoflights1.htm
    www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/cvvfa.pdf
    www.usfa.fema.gov/research/safety/vehicle.shtm
    www.caryems.com/training/driversInformation.html
    www.VFIS.com
    www.ESIP.com

Please take a few minutes to review this incident, do some research to follow up, and use all of the above links to minimize the potential for the above tragedies to occur again.

*****ALSO-PLEASE NOTE: If you tried to order the free "10 Cones For Highway Safety" video program from: www.ResponderSafety.com, and it didn't work, try it again-please go to: http://www.respondersafety.com/downloads/videoform.html .

Take Care-BE CAREFUL,
    BillyG
    The Secret List 8-21-05
    www.FirefighterCloseCalls.com
    Regardless of how we feel about the charges and accusations, the fact is these types of legal scenarios are going to keep on increasing unless we do something.

I was watching a response video posted here a couple of weeks ago, and was somewhat surprised to see the first due apparatus stop at EVERY streetlight in their downtown area. Obviously some dept's out there can see what is coming down the pipe.

How it affects response times and suppression/rescue activities, I am not sure yet, but I don't think we can argue that it doesn't improve safety for the rest of the drivers on the road.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Glad you guys found some more on it, that was all I could find at the time of posting. And I just want to point out that their Garfield Twp, is not my Garfield Twp., they are about 1 hour north of us.

This is extremely scary for all of those who drive apparatus. Being new on the department still, it makes me a little hesitant to drive.

EDIT: I have to say that our SOG's state that we must slow and clear each intersection, and it even states that we are liable for any accidents while driving the apparatus under Michigan law. I don't remember the speed requirements off hand, but this has been in our SOG's for quite some time already.
    Last edited by FireAndy; 08-22-2005 at 08:57 AM.
    EMT-B
    Garfield Twp. Fire Department
    http://www.garfieldfire.com

if I remember correctly, the only vehicles that could legally run a red light was a postal vehicle during a period of declared war. or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
    In other words, you can speed, you don't have to come to complete stop at a stop sign, you can pass through a red light. However, when passing through a red light you must slow down to assure there is no oncoming traffic. You can't just blow through intersections at 60 MPH.
    Trojan, your right and your wrong. you are right in the way you can do those things legally, provided you are driving with due regard to the safety of others. but your wrong, because while you may be permitted to do that, the instant you get into an accident (it doesn't always have to be your fault), you are thought to be driving with out due regard.

so while you can do whatever you want while responding to emergency, the moment you get into an accident, your *** will be handed to you by any lawyer.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

NJFFSA16

Thanks for posting the updated story.

It doesn't really matter how your department perceives the law with respect to running red lights - if you do it and end up in the type of situation that happened here you will find yourself involved in a lawsuit.

Lawyers salivate over the prospects of these types of suits. When I was a driver I would routinely bust lights and stop signs - now if I were a driver again I would excercise restraint.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    I don't know, ask FDNY how the public is recieving it.

also, the law say you need to stop at every red light, and you can only procede through it while using due regard. yes, many FD departments tend to blow through red lights, but they are supposed to be utilizing due regard.
    I'll tell you the taxpayers aren't happy...but this mayor has done everything from ignore it, try to hide it, make excuses for it, blame everyone but him and his administration, have the media write editoritals blasting the firemen for not blowing through red lights (figure that one out), Blame us for slowing down...etc.

The fact is in the past 10 months since the Fire Commish leveled charges against a ECC and the officer (Unheard of prior to that) that response times have increased 15-30 seconds. The cities lawyers offered a half-azz promise of a legal defense (had more holes than a block of swiss cheese) and the Commish tried unsuccessfully to pass the blame on to us!

After this accident where the ECC was accused of running the stop light they changed our Dept regulations that orginally stated we must come to a "full and complete stop" to "we may proceed past...when we have ensured all other traffic has stopped...etc."

Now I would love to see any other FD that would actually relax the regualtions in light of an accident that involved more or less what they want us to do right now.

Why did they change that and since then also change the rules to state that we can now drive against traffic?

Because we started following the rules to the letter because everyone realized these clowns would hook up their own mother and weren't smart enough to look at the larger picture.

They wanted us to drive safely...so guess what we did and response times have gone up....BIG TIME and they don't like that.

Allthough accidents are down near 50% they don't care as the response times they use to close companies are now fouled up and it will difficult for them to close companies after the election. Whereas in past years times might vary from 1-4 seconds year over year...the times have increased 15-30seconds and maintained this level for 10 months!

The Fire Commish is now reportedly furious and worried about loosing his job after the election. (He and the Mayor could both leave and there will be no tears shed around here.)

I can't comment on the case mentioned above...however I can say it is a fine line that they must tread if they don't want response times to go through the roof.

I can tell you if I were a chauffeur in that town I would be pushing the apparatus to fires.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

With regards to volunteer fire departments:
    What do we expect when all of these great programs for fire departments on driving apparatus are FREE and few are taking advantage of them?
    Insurance companies will fall over themselves to put on a driving program for firefighters.
    Many firefighters aren't even properly classified on their drivers' licenses and there isn't a problem until there's a problem.
    Our problem extends from not only driving fire apparatus, but the ones who want to drive their POVs like they are department vehicles somehow. Otherwise, why would they spend so much time picking out just the right lights for their POV? It's simple: they believe that marking their personal vehicles like it is a fire department vehicle will "give them the road". With the lights, fire department maltese, wigwags and a gearbag in the back, they are now free to terrorize the highway. But if they have an accident, they won't be charged. THEY WERE RESPONDING TO A CALL! No cop in their right mind will stop them, no prosecutor will charge them and no jury in the world will convict them. Right? Anyone else believe that fairy tale?
    What we are seeing in this day and age is called "Accountability". We are being held accountable for our actions, and if they endanger the very public that we are sworn to protect, then expect to pay and pay plenty.
    It was an accident, but it wasn't criminal? Are you kidding me? The "accident" happened to the Garrisi family. It was CAUSED by Carlton. Whether it gives rise to a criminal act remains to be seen.
    Though I have a tough time understanding how the motoring public can NOT see the flashing lights and NOT hear the blaring sirens, it is that same mindset that should cause us to be even MORE cautious.
    But out here in our parts, once the lights, department markings and the gearbag is in the car, ordinary sedans become invincible!
    There's a storm coming.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite
    ...the instant you get into an accident (it doesn't always have to be your fault), you are thought to be driving with out due regard.

so while you can do whatever you want while responding to emergency, the moment you get into an accident, your *** will be handed to you by any lawyer.
    Not necessarily true. A friend of mine landed in court a few years back when a driver ended up underneath his fire truck. He was never charged criminally because the DA determined there was nothing criminal about the incident. He was eventually cleared in civil court because of a combination of the precautionary actions he had taken (and others had witnessed) before the crash, the conditions at the intersection itself, and the actions the other driver had taken (and others had witnessed) before crashing into the fire truck.

I really can't get into any specifics of this case, but suffice it to say you will almost certainly be dragged into court for almost any crash you're involved in while responding, but you still at least have a chance of defending yourself and prevailing in court if you take your responsibilities behind the wheel seriously and truly operate with due regard for others. No guarantees, of course.

MembersZone Subscriber Firedan38's Avatar

Well said CR
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information