Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Enclosed Ladder rack

Do any of the Manufactures have a standard enclosed ladder rack?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

My guess is no. The only thing I think you might find standard is ladder monts on the officer side with low side compartments. Anything different then that will more than likely be an upgrade.

When you say enclosed ladder rack, what exactly are you talking about? Many manufactures have enclosed ladder storage in the body of the truck or in the hosebed, but I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about.

Yes, an enclosed storage for the ladders.
    I have seen some through the tank, but we think that may eventually hinder things.

We seen a Toyne with ladder storage on the side.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We have a Ferrara with the ladder through the tank, and I think it's one of the best setups I've seen. The ladder compartment is about shoulder height and the compartment also houses pike poles. It was an option, though.

Now, we also have an American LaFrance built on a commercial Frieghtliner chassis. It was strictly a program truck....no customization whatsoever. It came standard with enclosed ladder storage. There's two compartments, opening from the rear of the apparatus, set on either side of the tank. This left room for rescue style doors on both sides of the rig. It's a great design and it was part of the standard program package. I don't know if they still make them that way but it was a good deal for us.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Do you know what model bed the ALF has with the ladder storage?

The new Shield S2 model from Sutphen has a standard enclosed ladder chute. 500 water, 1,500 pump, stainless plumbing, 62" raised roof cab, 370 HP engine. It's a real nice package in the program truck market. Let me know if your dept. is in the market and I'll get you in touch with your local rep.
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

The Liberty series from ALF is their current program truck....and the compartmentation is much the same as what we have....click here...

http://www.americanlafrance.com/libe...003&p=1005&s=0

...and go to "View CAD drawings"...You'll see what I'm talking about.....It's kinda hard to describe without the picture....
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 08-21-2005 at 10:48 PM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

I can pretty much guarantee that every builder of engines can provide some sort of enclosed ladder storage. It can be through the tank, along side the "T" of the tank, or even a compartment of sorts on top of the hose bed.

I've seen/heard of an attempt by Pierce to enclose a ladder on an overhead rack, but I believe that the weight ended up being too much for the rack's hydraulics to lift. I'll have to look and see where I found that one.

Our new Engine 1 and Engine 2 have enclosed ground ladder storage. Our Engine 3 has the hydraulic ladder rack.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

The Pierce was Pasadena, CA and the box has since been removed due to excessive weight.

Thread Information