Forum Member

Default What to expect at school

I am currently signed up for 36 hr.school in the middle of Sept. It will be held partly at a local dept. and partly at Apollo Career Ctr. in Lima. I was just wondering what to expect....is it half book/half hands on? Is it very physical? Just have no idea of what to expect and would like to have somewhat of a heads up. Thanks

Forum Member

Not sure where your school will be located but my department attends Kentucky fire schools all the time.Every course catalog has a basic class that give 16 of the state required 20 hours to start learning the trade with.
    At these classes,there is classroom instruction in department make up,organization,terms used,equipment on the various trucks,hoses,fire extinguishers,nozzles,air packs and the like.There is also outside training in searches,hose laying,nozzle streams and the proper way to don PPE.
    This is just some of what is taught at Kentucky schools and yours most likely will be different.
    The thing to remember is take notes when you can and go over them again after the class.There hasn't been a test yet with grades on any of the classes I've taken but the training does get used in the real world.The saying"You WILL see this material again"applies with a vengeance in the fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is the training objectives for Volunteer Firefighter from the State of Ohio Division of EMS:

Objective Checkoff Sheets-Volunteer Firefighter

You should also note that live fire training is prohibited in the 36 hour class.

Forum Member

What department are you with? I took my 36 hr at Apollo and currently a member with Forest FD in Hardin Co.

Forum Member

Sorry, I've taken so long. I'm at the opposite corner of the county, with Roundhead.

Forum Member

As long as you are in any kind of shape, you'll be fine. Most days you'll spend the morning in the classroom, take lunch, then spend the afternoon doing hands on drills. The only 2 that were physically challenging were Search/Rescue and Ladders. Some of it depends on the weather too.

For Search/Rescue, the 1 main part consisted of going through an attic maze with your facepiece blacked out (10-15 minutes to get through). Some of the obstacles are a 55 gallon drum you have to get through by taking your pack off your back, but stay on air, and climbing over rafters and down into a hole in the floor. The other main part, we had search teams that had to find a dummy in the 3 story tower within a certain amount of time. Again, facepieces blacked out.

For ladders, they set up a ladder course on/around the tower, including a ladder truck to the top. We had 3 revolutions, 1 with just turnout gear and SCBA, no facepiece, 1 with above plus carry a tool, then the last one was all the above plus facepiece on. This course probably took the most out of me. They cover every type of ladder, and you use muscles that you don't use on a regular basis. We even use the 40+ foot banger ladder.

Have fun. If you make it fun, it will be. And if you don't.....well you get it.

Thread Information