MembersZone Subscriber

Default When is a rookie no longer a rookie?

When does someone quit becoming a rookie in your opinon?

Forum Member

In my FD, one year on the job, when they pass their probationary period. Then they become the firefighter with the least seniority and have to travel from station to station should their services be needed there for the duty tour.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Generally 1 year around here too. Probationary for two months, rookie until they complete the standard training cycle (1 year long).

But since we are a volunteer dept in a seasonal ski/golf resort community, one can be placed back on Rookie status if they leave for a season, and come back. It usually depends on whether or not they remember anything.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I think if you are a paid firefighter then you are a rookied when you first get hired until you get past your probationary period.

If you are a volunteer or intern... well... i dont know.

I am an intern and was called a rookie until i had my first big car accident with and extrication... so maybe expierence kills the rookie! haah
    "You don't know what a real family is until you spend a day at the firehouse"

Visit my "fire stories blog" here.

Forum Member

Probationary for 6 months

Rookie/New Guy until someone else joins to replace them!

Forum Member

We are volunteer. it last 6 month but you keep the title for a year. Althought do have a guy the we have called rookie for the last 5 years.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

When your officers start asking your opinion on a tactic,even if they don't use the idea you posit.
    But there will always be people who are rookies in the eyes of their officers,no matter how many years they put it.
    Starting off in my volunteer department,you wear a blue helmet until you get the 150 training hours in that are required by Kentucky.Then you are handed a red lid to wear,and expected to take the next scheduled IFSAC skills test.
    Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    Last edited by doughesson; 08-22-2005 at 01:56 PM.

Forum Member

Wink

At my Fire Dept. you are a probie for a full year.

Rookie status is a little more tricky. The lowest guy seniority wise is the rookie. When more that one probie is appointed at the same time, then they are the rookies. If a new probie gets appointed, but is not on you shift, you can still be the shift rookie. If the new probie is on your shift, but at a different house, guess what, you're still the rookie to some of the guys.

The status of a probie is static, whereas the rookie stigma is dynamic and everyones experience is individual!
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

(Previously posted as Hobbitt. Registered December '02,)

MembersZone Subscriber

In our volunteer dept you get a red helmet upon being accepted as a member. You are promoted to a blue one once you complete the mandatory state taught basic training program. You are awarded your black helmet after one year IF you are deemed ready for it after an officer review of your activity level and performance.

Red helmet - exterior operations only
    Blue helmet - limited interior operations under supervision
    Black helmet - interior firefighter

I like the helmet colors because it helps avoid asking someone to perform a task they are not prepared to do.

MembersZone Subscriber

1 year at our department, and you are only off probation after you have your MFR and FF1. (we are a poc department).
    EMT-B
    Garfield Twp. Fire Department
    http://www.garfieldfire.com

Forum Member

One year.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Generally probationary periods last a year. At the end of that time you're no longer a Probie but you could very well still be a Rookie. Depends on your knowledge, ability , how you perform on the fire ground.

A good rule of thumb in my opinion is, " If you have to ask , you still are".

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah.......................... ......

Quote Originally Posted by fireguy919
    We are volunteer. it last 6 month but you keep the title for a year. Althought do have a guy the we have called rookie for the last 5 years.

Couple of years ago, at our annual Awards Banquet, a young man seemed a bit sad about not being named Rookie of the Year. He was heard to say to a friend, "well, there's always next year".
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

6 months probationary. Must pass FF1, HazMat and all that comes with it. Must be able to give detailed equipment listing of all compartments on the trucks, what size hose is on each truck, etc. If none of these are met, it's another 6 months. If still not met, it is dismissal from dept.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFTrainer
    Probationary for 6 months

Rookie/New Guy until someone else joins to replace them!
    Yep! And if several new people join at round the same time then they all get that status until a new one or new group comes along. It's better to be a "Rookie" than it is to be a "Probie."

Prospective members submit an application and it is then reviewed and voted on at a regular monthly meeting...if accepted the member is on 6 months probation, after which they are voted on for full membership...or not...or their probation period can be extended. Everyone pretty much gets a chance to avoid any discrimination issues, unless there are some SERIOUS underlying circumstances there, or they are not physically or otherwise able to perform the duties of a firefighter...in which case we would recommend that the person join one of our auxiliary groups (Ladies Auxiliary or Fire Corps).
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985

Untill they find ways to make the chief look good.
    There goes the neighborhood.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fireguy919
    We have a perm-a-probie too!
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

One year but just cause you have that one year does not make you a Mr Know it all. Yah need to get your feet wet a few times before you can step up and throw an opinion up to senior FF'.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Our department is combination full-time/paid-on-call volunteer. All recruits upon completion of the 5 month fire academy enter probationary firefighter status and are actually called 'candidates' as apposed to 'probies' or 'rookies' even though that's what we are. Probationary period lasts a minimum of six months, up to 18 months maximum depending on how fast you learn the ropes. You are required to know how to drive and operate every single piece of appartus the department has and have a certain amount of drive time fullfilled. Then you are granted full-member status.

All firefighters are also required to be certified EMT-Basics at the minimum and must complete field time and a certain amount of patient contacts before they can be checked off to run as an EMT.

It's a lot of hoops to jump through but it gives our department a great deal of flexibility as far as what people can do.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a good subject to talk about so here goes. The probie, canidate or NEW GUY is a new person to your department where as the rookie is the person with the least amount of experience. So to answer the question asked here in my own opinion you're a rookie until the boss and your crew says you're not and sometimes this takes people years or maybe even their entire career till they get off rookie status. So that's my take.

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCK61
    and sometimes this takes people years or maybe even their entire career till they get off rookie status.
    I've seen some people who have claimed to have five years of experience, but when you really look at their knowledge and ability, they really only have one year of experience, five times.

Forum Member

Well it depends. Probation is 6 months, but we have very strict guidlines to becoming a full member.

The way I look at it, you're a rookie even after probation is up until you know what you need to do at the majority of calls without having to be told. If you know that you're not certified for an airpack or for interior fire fighting and you get on scene for a working structure...you shouldn't even have to think about going and hooking up the truck to a hydrant or pulling a line to the front door while guys certified for packs are packing up. You aren't a ookie when you know what you need to do and when you need to do it. But that's just my opinion...and according to that...I am still a rookie, I am still learning with every call.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default How we do it here on the air base.

Well we're kinda messed up. There's three ways for you to loose your rookie status here.

Easiest way: Some younger troop. Or one of same rank BUT new to the base will bump you out of your shift's rookie pool. This is only acceptable if you've been here for like three plus months.

Not so fun way: You get back from your first trip "down range". Upon return from an actual combat zone generally speaking we'll stop calling you a rookie.
    However people who don't deploy with you may not recognize this; as they may not know you were in a combat zone. So it's up to your team to stick up for you. If you're not well liked, then you keep your status.

Dude, life sucks for you: About a year. If the above two don't count, you're both cursed with bad luck, AND, for all intents and purposes useless to the unit. Get out there and go to Iraq. Are you not tired of the gopher jobs we keep giving you?! Jeeze! A blind autistic orangutan could loose his rookie status before you!

And all this is fine and dandy but if you shift bases as a jr. member you get to start ALLLLLL over again.
    Last edited by usafyyc; 09-07-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Fire Chaplain

You're a rookie until you can drink the station's coffee without making a funny face.
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Forum Member

Roughly a year.. but as others have said, it could be longer.

Some people are called Rookies their entire career.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Thread Information