Forum Member

Default Grant Amendments

I have never had to put in an amendment to a grant before. We were awarded a truck this year Since the time of applicaiton, the chassis and body cost of the truck have gone up. I put in a amendment to account for the price increases. Anyone know how long it takes to process the amendment? I am anxious to get my truck ordered as it will take 6 to 7 months just for the chassis to arrive. Any info would be appreciated.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

What kind of amendment? You can't ask for more money. Well you can, you're just not getting it. The award amount is the amount you get. Price increases have to be accounted for at the time of application. I recommend a 3% fudge factor just for this reason. You're going to get the award based primarily on merit, so an extra 3% won't push you over into the outrageous request category unless you were already there.

You should hear within 3-5 days at the most on amendments. If you have your award letter it's easier and faster to call the DHS grant administrator listed in that letter since that's who processes the amendment requests regardless of how they come in.

Forum Member

Default I thought I was covered......

I added in 3% when I submitted it. The chassis price went up by 5% and the body price went up 6%! I am truly glad that they have sped up the process (we were awarded last year in round 35) but the time frame between applicaiton and award is still too far apart for apparatus. Most manufactures will only hold a price for 30 too 60 days with the cost of everything seeming to rise every other day. My amendment was for more money and I assumed that we would not get it, but I thought it would not hurt to try!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Depending on what kind of a war wagon you're going for, shop around. I'm sure you can find something along the same lines if not identical (if you're looking commercial chassis that is) for the price you quoted. Cash tends to talk more loudly than financing.

And I can't remember if I mentioned this earlier but if you can't find a lower price, and don't have the extra few thousand, you can take out a loan on the amount you don't have. So if you need to finance $5K to get the truck as you need it built, you can get a loan from the local bank for that amount and it will count as if you paid the entire matching in cash. DHS doesn't care where it comes from, just as long as you pay your matching requirement or more. Also, nothing like a fundraiser saying we won XX from the feds, now we just need to raise our share of XX to take advantage of it. You'd be surprised how many people want to help out at that point. Showing them that a few (or a lot) of their federal tax dollars are coming back into the area usually helps folks find another few dollars to help out.

Forum Member

That is good advise. We are going to purchase the new truck even if we don't get the extra money. Just trying to find out how much more I am going to have to come up with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to be a wet blanket, but i was helping a friend roast two pigs for our church yesterday and there was a steady stream of guys coming by to admire his home-fabricated roaster. There were several metal fab guys who were of the opinion that the price of rolled steel may soon see another $60/ton increase. Stainless coils apparently are nearing 6+ months delivery time. All this was scuttle-butt and rumor as far as i am concerned, but if there is reality in it then i would think truck prices and delivery times would be impacted accordingly.

On a positive note, the pork was first class and there must have been at least a dozen different recipes of baked beans on the "carry-in" tables. For some reason, my wife was a little distant last night....

earl

Thread Information