MembersZone Subscriber

Default Any firefighters here have I.B.S. ?

do any of you firefighters here have IBS, or any other stomach problems? Just wondering how you manage it while going on calls and other things.

thanks.

Cpt. Common Sents

Default Ibs

I dont have IBS but I do have an extremely sensitive stomach. To the point of If it is hot outside and I get a cold breeze ill get a horid stomach ache. I am also allergic to dairy which gives me the worst cramps and stomach and headache.
    What I do to manage it is very easy. Just when you know your going to be making calls just watch what you eat and keep everything in moderation. I like plain turkey sandwichs..with no mayo,lettice,tomatoe...nothin..just white bread and turkey.
    also try something like immodium ad it might help just stopper you up..know what I mean

MembersZone Subscriber

I had IBS years ago and for some reason...never did figure out why...it slowly went away. I do know, however, that not enough sleep, too much stress and "junk" meals would trigger an episode.

I have a question for Greggy though:

Does the adrenaline of answering calls affect your IBS by aggrevating/triggering it?
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have Chron's myself. I have need diagnosed for about a year and haven't had too many problems while responding to calls, although I have had to hurry into the station following a few calls I have turned my diet around and have tried to lead a less stressful life to try and help it out.
    Hug a firefighter the next time one holds you they may be saving your life.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by greggy16d
    do any of you firefighters here have IBS, or any other stomach problems? Just wondering how you manage it while going on calls and other things.

thanks.
    I actually work for a 6 digestive disease doctors, we occasionally have Firefighters & Paramedics in here for anything from IBS to chrons. From what I have been told they manage it with their medications, and diets that the doctors suggest they follow. A lot of fatty (fast) foods or overloads on dairy trigger symptoms. They usually recommend drinking A LOT of water.
    If you have any specific questions I can always ask them
    Last edited by TJMiller; 09-21-2005 at 05:56 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't forget spicy foods!!! I think those are probably my biggest triggers, but dang it I love the mexican place down the street, lol. Also I have found anytime I drink I don't do so good for the next few days or so.
    Hug a firefighter the next time one holds you they may be saving your life.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ROOKIELZ
    Does the adrenaline of answering calls affect your IBS by aggrevating/triggering it?
    Been there in the middle of a structure fire and had to find an out if you know what i mean. Not the time for things to hit. how do you manage that?

Forum Member

Default Oh no, not again!

Yeah, life in the firehouse has been hard on this guy. I've had troubles for years, and avoid eating what the other guys eat usually. My crew is nice about fixing me a smaller portion before they drop every spice in the House in the food, haha.

Anyway, when it's a bad day, I stay out. I can live with an "accident" if I have to, but I don't want to, haha. I also can't afford for others to think I can't perform when needed. Luckily, (sounds bad I know) we have enough apartment fires that one can usually choose a bathroom while on overhaul watch or while taking up. So far so good. Yes, Meds help too.

Forum Member

Default Ibs

When I first started I thought I had IBS.......was checked for diseases from down south,all came up negative.When we talked about my diet we realized that I took way to much caffine.It actually cause spasms of the bowel with increases stress causing me to have to go.I also take celexa which helps with anxiety of having to go at wrong time on a call. It doesnt cause drowsiness or any things like that.It has been a year since any probs, hope this helps guys.

Thread Information