Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default Fire Prevention Grant info

Washington, DC) August 22, 2005 - The Department of Homeland Security today posted at the website for the Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) program the guidance for applications for this year's Fire Prevention and Safety grants. The application period is presently scheduled to begin on September 6, 2005 at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time. The Office of State and Local Government Coordination and Preparedness in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will continue to accept applications for these grants until the end of the application period, October 7, 2005 at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.

The program guidance provides potential applicants with the competitive
    basis and evaluation criteria for their applications. This year in addition to the fire prevention and safety grants, non fire department organizations will also be able to apply for firefighter safety research grants.

The applications will be automated and will be accessible from the website for the Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) program at www.firegrantsupport.com.

The website also provides useful information on the funding priorities and process that are discussed in the Program Guidance for the Fire Prevention and Safety grants. A list of Frequently Asked Questions will be added, and will be updated as the staff learn the areas of inquiry that are most often presented. An applicant tutorial on the fire prevention and safety grants, designed to instruct users on the preparation and submittal of competitive applications, will also be available at www.firegrantsupport.com. Applicants who have questions regarding the fire prevention and safety grant opportunity should contact the help desk at 1-866-274-0960 or at firegrants@dhs.gov. During the application period, the help desk will operate Monday to Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (EDT), but is prepared to revise hours of operation based on volume and demand.

The AFG is administered by the Department of Homeland Security's Office
    of State and Local Government Coordination and Preparedness (SLGCP) in cooperation with the U.S. Fire Administration.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Bumping this up since it starts Sept. 6th, and that's right around the corner!
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."

The Department of Homeland Security today posted at the website for the Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) an online tutorial to assist applicants in preparing this year's Fire Prevention and Safety grants. The application period is presently scheduled to begin on September 6, 2005 at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time. The Office of State and Local Government Coordination and Preparedness in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will continue to accept applications for these grants until the end of the application period, October 7, 2005 at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.

The applicant tutorial is available thorough the www.firegrantsupport.com website. The tutorial is designed to instruct users on the preparation and submittal of competitive applications as well as an overview of the funding priorities and evaluation criteria. Applicants who have questions regarding the fire prevention and safety grant opportunity should contact the help desk at 1-866-274-0960 or at firegrants@dhs.gov. During the application period, the help desk will operate Monday to Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (EDT), but is prepared to revise hours of operation based on volume and demand.

The AFG is administered by the Department of Homeland Security's Office of State and Local Government Coordination and Preparedness (SLGCP) in cooperation with the U.S. Fire Administration.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Looking for bright ideas!

I have yet to think of a valid request for the fire prevention grant application.

We have a small (33 sq. miles), mostly rural town of 6,000 people with a mostly volunteer F.D.

Sadly, the school in town will not allot any time for us.
    We have no centralized elderly population.

Can anyone comment on the feasability (both funding-wise and operationally) of a free smoke detector program.

The only other idea we had was purchasing a whole bunch of mailbox reflective numbers and go around town placing them where needed (with permission of course) so we may find the residence during an emergency. Would this qualify under the fire prevention grant?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The smoke detector program is never a bad thing, but as the PG says, you have to base your project on an assessment that's been done by your department in finding the need for such. Well, you don't have to use an assessment's results, but that's how you get the high scores.

The same with the reflective numbers, you'd have to figure out if that's a need or not. On one hand, preplanning takes care of that to some extent. On the other, the US Mail finds them somehow, but then again, they're not rushing around. You'd have to see if that's allowed in case you have Homeowner's Associations. They're all over around here, and no one has mailboxes in front of their house, they're all centralized. It's not among the list of items not allowed, so it may be a valid project. Run that past them before you go with it though.

Sadly, the school in town will not allot any time for us.
    OMG -- WHY? That's insane. And really, really sad.

MembersZone Subscriber

Stuart,
    Since the school won't work with you...what if you circumvent them. Do it a few ways

- I'd recommend you DO NOT MENTION you don't go into the school for FP education in your grant. (Start trying to change that, slowly now. I'm a PTO Pres. There's plenty on non-instructional time you might could get some FFs in: Fall Festival, outside a BBall game, Open House, etc) all it would take is a table set up at a few of these events and you're doing some ed.

- Do you have a local general store or centeral store in town? (Wal-mart, grocery store, shopping center, etc?) If so, I'd recommend setting up a display 2 x a year (close to time changes) of smoke detectors, CO2 detectors, BATTERIES, educational materials (OFTEN OVERLOOKED - maybe a safety checklist of home dangers/hazards, etc), coloring books, hats, stickers, balloons, etc. - that could be where you distribute...you could rent a sign prior to event, post ad in paper, etc.

-Have the trucks out there. If you have a department in your area with a Smokey the Dog costume (or smoke house!), borrow that....

Just needs to be an entire 'project' marketed to the community with newspaper ads, signs, mailers, flyers...all of which can be included in your grant. The secret is to try and find a way to fund it even if you're turned down. Mention you will consider getting local sponsors, etc. if necessary if you aren't approved, but that your department feels this grant & project will make a HUGE impact on your community.

Let me know if you need any help...this is just off the top of my head....When you're doing the "project" budget, don't forget postage costs, copying costs, printing needs, etc.
    Last edited by dixiechicknc; 09-05-2005 at 10:04 AM.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Forum Member

dixie I have a question for you if I type up a survey to get out about a fire academy for kids and kids combat challenge whats the best way do get them out?
    I was thinking hand them out when we go to the elementary school in the area and any other events we set up at. Also what types of questions should be asked in the survey. The biggest thing I want to do with it is determine what should be covered in the academy to make peoples homes safer.

MembersZone Subscriber

FF2230, you're just down the road from me...

What's your target age of the children for your academy and where will it be located? Who are your instructors? Curriculum? Length of time? Cost and how you will fund it, and what you plan to teach, info YOU and your dept. feel you need to impart to them in regards to Fire Prevention and Safety?

Also, how will you continue this ONGOING in future years, and which kids will be picked for the program?

Once I know the answers, then I can try and answer your questions better, but off the cuff, I'd say a standard 'Risk Assessment' if your project is geared toward children, should go through the schools. (Since this project needs to be submitted by 1st week of Oct. I wouldn't drag it out to other events...)

How I would go about it is, come up with several questions that pertain to some of the education you hope to teach them, and hope to be able to show they don't currently know. Ask them a survey of perhaps 5 or 6 questions, maybe to a few classes of like say 2nd graders and 1st graders. (1 or 2 classes ea). That should be enough to give you a reference and section for a Risk Assessment of those children in your district.

Continue on up, if you like and do two classes from each grade level, you may be surprised at the lack of education on fire prevention/safety...

Anyway, to get a good percentage of total, you would then have to know the total population of the children that age (under 14) in your district and figure the percentage of knowledge each age group had (based on the target/study group) as performed in your RIsk Assessment.

But do follow up and let me know more about your project, so I can give you some feedback.
    Alana Tomlin Denton

Forum Member

Target age group would be mostly elementery school age kids I will have to look it up on what I planned out but I believe it was 6-14 or 15 year olds.

The curriculum was a mix of fire safety(things taught during fire prevention week:stop drop and roll, smoke detectors, EDITH things like that) and fire department info(our gear, EMS, first aid, different types of apparatus,rescue squad) with a mix of "lecture time" and hands on things.

As far as cost goes for the first one it should not be to expensive if I figured right and to keep the funding going for the project I would like to apply for the fire prevention grant NEXT year(due to the short time and this still needing a few touch ups).

Also have kicked around an idea of opening one up to kids 16-18 to possibly get interest in our junior program but thats a whole other thread I suppose.

hope this helps if you want anymore info PM me with your email address or I will PM you mine BTW where is Linwood?

MembersZone Subscriber

My biggest questions would be where would this be located, now, and when? Evenings? At the FD? Would you just have an open invite to the local middle school/elementary school? Run it in different sections for age appropriate groups?

See, I ask all this, because my 'Day Job' (other than a Grant Writer/Consultant & PTO Pres. & Mom ) is an After School Director for over 170 kids 5-15 yrs old. I can tell you right now, unless you divide them by age groups, either, initially, or by instructor, and do some major pre-class training with your guys...you'll have some issues with some of those varying age groups. (Not to sound negative. Just want to play a little devils advocate, and give you some things you really need to thnk through, to submit funding for, such as instructor training...before submitting.)

I would recommend running it one of a couple of different ways: 1) similar to a VBS...where every age goes to a room (if you have those kind of facilities, and maybe a church isn't a bad idea for a locale)...have several volunteers at a reg. table, initially, and I would require a parent to stay with the smaller ones. (just my perspective...)

Have the kids rotate to various stations throughout the night... 911, smoke detectors, how to exit their home, etc. Let the kids have a "Guide" with each group, and stay with them...

Anyway, by the end of the night (say 2 hours...) they should be able to tell you something about all the different stations...Will retain 10-15% of what they learned. If you require the parents to fill out a reg. form, you follow up with marketing pieces geared towards those kids (mail out info, etc. ) have the "School" 2x a year.

I think it's feasible. Particularly if you get a church building with alot of classrooms (or your station has alot of classrooms). You could even give them a t-shirt, coloring book, hat, etc. (Have all that built in the grant budget) GREAT for morale in communnity, good advertising, get some special ones printed, etc etc....

I like the idea of the older kids coming in. One note of caution...you have to be careful and have equal number of female/male volunteers, just for appearances. Or require parent/s to stay. Just looks better. You never know what someone will say/do. Just a "CYA"...

email me if ya have any questions or comments on anything!

(remember - all this is only some suggestions...as I have worked with kids/teens and LARGE groups of kids for years...public schools and church events. You really have to be prepared ahead of time for it. The more you know now, to put into the narrative, the better it sounds.)
    Alana Tomlin Denton

MembersZone Subscriber

Default School

Stuart - does the school have a PTA/PTO - work through them....they are the ones who benefit - it's their kids and families

Don't underestimate their power - if they tell the principal they want it - you may get in...

MembersZone Subscriber

Great suggestion, Tony. I am a PTO President and have been an active Board member for several years...which gives me an entry to the Principal's office. (and sometimes the County office, if necessary!) Do you think the Powers that Be are aware the school has kept your department out for FP/S, Stuart?

There may have been a valid point in the past (can't for the life of me think what it might be....in my mind, no reason justifies...) but for the sake of argument, let's say there was. Maybe they (Administration) had a beef with FD and wanted something done at a certain time or a certain way, and it couldn't be, for another reason. ALL of that can and should be worked through.

But, now, you are in a position of dealing with all that. I would suggest, as someone who works daily with the Prinicipal and Assistant Principal of our local Elementary (and they both routinely don't hesitate to ask me when "my guys at the FD" can come do something, like mentor, eat lunch, presentation, etc etc...). You need to rebuild that relationship. I would call up and offer to sit down with the Princ. and Assistant. Explain it's for preperation on an upcoming grant and you need some input.

Surely you can work in how disappointed you are that you could potentially have ALL the resources, volunteers, etc. and no where to take them. Other than outside the school (Fall Festivals, Ball Games, Outdoor events)...that would be a shame.

Best of luck!
    Alana Tomlin Denton

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'll vouch for the division of age groups. My wife teaches kindergarten, and it's a whole other world trying to get them to pay attention to anything. You have about 60 seconds per topic because after that their mind is gone. So you have to keep it moving or you'll lose control. Trust me, for the past 6 years I've been taking a group of our guys over to her school to help out during FP week. Very few want to come back the next year with me. "They're animals I tell you, Animals!"

Another thing I learned is that Tony is right, the teachers never even get anywhere with the principal. The parents have to be the ones trying to make the change. Of course, parents ought to be teaching this stuff at home prior to the kids ever being school age, but that's another discussion. There is so much free literature available from USFA's Publication web site that you don't need to recreate the wheel here either, just print off a few thousand copies and go to town.

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/applications/publications/

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Brian, Dixie, Kurt, Help Please

Our FP grant was denied last year. The dj email had a line that basically said your application scored higher than average, however, the peer reviewers could not determine if your request was based upon a formal or informal accessment, Please try again.

Our request was for a regional project based upon the concerns determined by a regional Council of Governments commissioned surveywhich was fully explained in the narrative.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It sounds more like a form letter was sent, especially if you mentioned the survey in the narrative.

Now if you had 'we did a survey and...' then that could be the culprit because that doesn't detail how the survey was done. Of course if you detailed that the Council mailed out surveys, or spent a few days at the mall or WalMart asking people questions, or something along those lines, then I'd have to say that it was indeed a form letter DJ, and not a real reflection of what went on behind the scenes. Which they're not going to share anyway, but I'd have to say it would be better to say nothing than be misleading about the cause of the score not being high enough.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool pagers and dispatch console eligible???

What about firefighter safety by having working voice pagers for all and a new console to work with our new repeater for dispatch to talk to us and page out. This idea initially sounds like we may be pushing the activities criteria but could this idea be sold to the grant reviewers??The number of responders at an incident would seem to increase firefighter safety by enabling establishment of RIT, etc. Any thoughts on this idea?
    In other words, I need a few new voice pagers and a new dispatch console.

Also, does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes APCO 25 digital voice pagers??

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No, not eligible. Sorry, but communications equipment is specifically excluded in the PG. Basically anything you can apply for in the main AFG program, isn't eligible in the FP program. Since it screams of interoperability and it's almost the new fiscal year, then the 2006 Homeland Security Grant Program should be funded shortly, and those are eligible items through that. Contact your state fire marshal for more info, those are administered at the state level. Depending on your classification, the HUD Rural Development program is another outlet, as is the SBC program. SBC is a 50% match up to $25K, but half price beats full price last time I checked. That's what I use on the Mrs when Sears is on clearance anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing I would suggest...I'd update the survey, resubmit and inside the narrative call it a "RISK ASSESSMENT" (borrow their terminology whenever possible) and have at it again...

Sounds like you may have had an unfortunate incident with your peer panel...that is, IF you feel comfortable with the narrative and your project. If it explained clearly and concisely what you want to do with all the departments, and how it is going to assist everyone...etc, etc.

IF it DOESN'T (and you don't feel good about it, you've let others read it...you're worried about it, think it needs alot of help. etc.)...then rework it, immediately (after a new assessment/updated assessment)...and then go for it. Seems like it's a light year for FP/S for the FDs. Alot of interest from the non-profits, but not much interest from the departments.

Good Luck!
    Alana Tomlin Denton

Forum Member

Default Help for Stuart

Stuart,

With regards to your school issue I would offer the following suggestions;

Talk with your local media folks, either directly about this issue, or indirectly such as inviting them to an extrication or live fire burn.

The key to success will be the point of your message and to stress the importance of education and prevention and how you are unable to do that at one of your greatest at risk groups. Then go on to explain that while you have open houses, fire prev.week activites and fundraisers; they key to any program is the ability to reach the greatest amount of people, and you cant do that becuase you are prohibited from providing public education and injury prevention programs during the school year.

They will want to know specifics about Pub.Ed so write down some programs you would want to do such as stop,drop & roll, adopt a firefighter(FF's visit class once a month) Injury prevention such as risk watch, bike safety, water safety etc. Have a few NFPA Standards, maybe a USFA Fire Report about a specific incident where smoke detectors and/or playing with matches resulted in a fatality.
    Also speak to the issue of departments across the nation that have school programs.

Make sure your chief is on board with your plight before you talk with the media; becuase he will serve as a 2nd voice on the issue.

Brief all your firefighters about the situation becuase once the word gets out; neighbors will talk to each other and the same message has to come from everyone on the fire department.

Also if your chief addresses your village gov. at a monthly meeting have him mention in in passing, or set up a visit to local civic groups such as Lions, Rotary, Knights of Columbus etc and casually mention your plight during your presentation; and the word will get to the people it needs to get to.

Just a few thoughts from a Fire Prevention Bureau Director and Public Information officer

Thread Information