Thread: Sleep on shift

Forum Member

Lightbulb

At the station sleep obviously varies according to call volume. There are 3 houses in my department and it doesn't matter what house or what rig you are assigned to because the tones go off at all stations no matter what the call or apparatus needed. If you are not turning out for the call, sleep time depends on how easily you are able to roll over and fall back to sleep. I seem to be OK with this, but others have real issues.
    There is also the issue of "good" sleep in that if sleep cycles are interrupted, it doesn’t allow the body and mind to fully recover and repair itself. Personally, I am looking into sleep disorder studies for myself and we'll see if that can help.
    Even when sleeping through the night I feel it's not that restful because you are kind of sleeping with one "ear" open to listen for the tones.
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

(Previously posted as Hobbitt. Registered December '02,)

Early Adopter

Question Why is it this way?

Quote Originally Posted by FyrGuy176
    At the station sleep obviously varies according to call volume. There are 3 houses in my department and it doesn't matter what house or what rig you are assigned to because the tones go off at all stations no matter what the call or apparatus needed.
    I know of several departments that do this... and, for the life of me, I can't figure out why. If one house has to go pick Mrs. Jones up off the floor at 2 a.m., why on earth does every other station need to know that? Let everyone else rest so that they'll be ready to go when it's their turn.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

The real kicker is that a new station alerting system was just installed and has the software to be station selective! There is a rumor that a few officers want to know everything that is going on. To a point, I agree, but a Lt. at station 1 doesn't really need to know or shouldn’t really care that squad 3 went on a call @ 0-dark-thirty. Dispatch knows what rigs are on the air and if the CAD system prompts a unit that is working a call the CAD will prompt the next closest available unit. I don't care if somebody is out and I'm "on the bubble" for back up response, If you need me, tone me out, I'll figure out that the other unit is busy when I'm rolling cross town to another district!
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

Forum Member

I have a question on this subject. Anyone else have a problem with going back to sleep after a middle of the night run? If we run after say 3 or 330, I dont even bother trying to go back to bed. Even if its a 15 minute run to pick grandma up off the floor. I just come back and fire up the coffee.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

I have a question on this subject. Anyone else have a problem with going back to sleep after a middle of the night run? If we run after say 3 or 330, I dont even bother trying to go back to bed. Even if its a 15 minute run to pick grandma up off the floor. I just come back and fire up the coffee.
    We have guys that will run a call at 0530, be back by 0630 and get back in bed and sleep untill 0700!

Gotta get as much sleep as possible to work that other job.

Anything after 0500 I am up for good. Starbucks opens at 0500, we have been their 1st customer tons of times.

MembersZone Subscriber

I love my setup. Get off work, do my 5 minute drive home, in bed for 7:25... perfect because I sign over the trucks and in bed and havent even fully woken up yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    I remember a white paper trick, but I dont remember exactly what it was. Seems like Chief Reason or the Gonz' had posted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    I remember a white paper trick, but I dont remember exactly what it was. Seems like Chief Reason or the Gonz' had posted it.
    Hmmmm, that sounds interesting.

I think part of my problem is I dont sleep good there anyway. Ive had a water bed at home since I was in high school and have a heck of a time with regular beds. And it doesnt help that my departments beds are like concrete slabs with sheets over them.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

We get to sleep during the 48 hours we're off.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Early Adopter

Talking Sqeeeek. Sqeeeeek. Sqeeeeeeek.

And it doesnt help that my departments beds are like concrete slabs with sheets over them.
    The dad of one of our captains owns a furniture store, so we got the hook up on some pretty decent beds when we renovated our living quarters in 2002. The mattresses are still holding up pretty good... but the box springs are shot. There are nights -- no joke -- when they squeak just from you lying there and breathing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yoe400800
    I was just wondering, how many hours of sleep do you normally get on a given shift?
    It is uncommon for us to sleep all night. 5500 runs a year out of one station with 2 medics, an engine, and a battalion, means a run every hour and a half on average for someone on station. Some nights you get 1-2, some nights 5-7, some nights (rare) 0.. Generally engine days are your best bet to sleep, but even then, sometimes the engine chases fire alarms all night while the medics sleep

Its all a toss up my brother..

Forum Member

Default When I'm awake, YOU'RE awake!!

Sleep? BWAHAHAHAHA!!! You're asking a dispatcher?

I just luuurve it when I get complaints about waking the guys up all night, and how hard it was for them to fall asleep when they got back to quarters! And don't forget, for you it's one call, one truck...with us it's many calls, many trucks!
    No really, I feel your pain when you don't get any sleep, I really do!!

Pat
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

Forum Member

How many of you are allowed to nap during shift. Here, 12 calls a shift, half of them after midnight are not uncommon depending on your first due area. It is generally accepted to take a "safety nap" after lunch, if possible, to make it through the night.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyrGuy176
    At the station sleep obviously varies according to call volume. There are 3 houses in my department and it doesn't matter what house or what rig you are assigned to because the tones go off at all stations no matter what the call or apparatus needed.
    WTF???That make about 0 sense. Please tell me they have a GOOD reason for a set up like this.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

WTF???That make about 0 sense. Please tell me they have a GOOD reason for a set up like this.
    It's pretty common from what I hear. I worked at a place where they left the radio "on" all night long, so you'd hear everyone within 100 miles coming thru the speaker 6 ft. above your bed. Of course the guys that had worked there for 20 years could sleep thru a tornado, but I laid awake all night trying to block it out.

I will say that several times our dispatchers have "missed" one of our houses on a fire call at 3AM, they got 2 out of 3, just missed that 3rd one. You figure it out after the fact, but that is a problem if you have station specific tones. But it rarely happens! Right.

Forum Member

If a fire department wants their people to sleep,they'll issue the time for doing so when they need it!

Forum Member

When we have a call at 0230 that lasts until my normal wakeup and start getting shaken out for work time,it's impossible for me to sleep anymore.Too jacked up on adrenaline.
    Someone told me years ago about imagining the thoughts in your mind being written out on a blackboard and that you use the eraser everytime someone starts emerging on the board.It usually works for me in ten minutes or so,even faster than plunking down on the couch to catch a movie I haven't seen in years but not after a working fire just before I have to get up for my "real" job.

Last edited by doughesson; 08-29-2005 at 01:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sleep, its all relative. our unwritten rule is: we are not to be disturbed by others (911 not included as "others") after 2200 and we should be awake by 0630 for shift change. How much sleep well, that depends on how late the stupid factory was open that night and how much they made.

Forum Member

Unhappy

"GOOD" reason? I can't come up with one, but the powers that be (a few senior officers) feel that everyone should know when someone is out and may need additional manpower or if you are on the bubble for a second call in someone else’s district. My feeling is that you are always on the bubble because a call can come in at any time, anywhere, and you may be training, eating, cleaning, sleeping... We don’t stop any other activities when another house is on a run, so why interrupt sleep
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

Forum Member

Default Ahhh Sleep is over-rated

I work Fulltime in a combination department - Assigned to the C Platoon {Monday - Thursday 1800-0600} - Not a bad gig usual downtime occurs after 2200 after my evening chours are done {Whatever the day staff didn't finish}

I work alone as the house chauffer / duty EMT so after 2330 the Station is usually quiet. -- Now the Sleep Thing. There are bunk-rooms in the station of which we {Career Personnel} are not allowed to use because of the lack of alerting systems on the third floor of the building - Company claims to be working on improving that. I fixed up an area on the second floor containing a couch and a small tv which I usually find my-self on after mid-night.

When All else fails and I usually end up in the first floor TV Lounge / Day Room on one of 8 recliners from 1am to about 5:30am unless a run comes in - Our mid-nights are generally slow so although we were never given actual permission to sleep the bosses know we do it and honestly don't care as long as the Calls get answered.

Thread Information