Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sleep on shift

Forum Member

If a fire department wants their people to sleep,they'll issue the time for doing so when they need it!

Forum Member

When we have a call at 0230 that lasts until my normal wakeup and start getting shaken out for work time,it's impossible for me to sleep anymore.Too jacked up on adrenaline.
    Someone told me years ago about imagining the thoughts in your mind being written out on a blackboard and that you use the eraser everytime someone starts emerging on the board.It usually works for me in ten minutes or so,even faster than plunking down on the couch to catch a movie I haven't seen in years but not after a working fire just before I have to get up for my "real" job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    I have a question on this subject. Anyone else have a problem with going back to sleep after a middle of the night run? If we run after say 3 or 330, I dont even bother trying to go back to bed. Even if its a 15 minute run to pick grandma up off the floor. I just come back and fire up the coffee.
    Last edited by doughesson; 08-29-2005 at 01:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sleep, its all relative. our unwritten rule is: we are not to be disturbed by others (911 not included as "others") after 2200 and we should be awake by 0630 for shift change. How much sleep well, that depends on how late the stupid factory was open that night and how much they made.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    WTF???That make about 0 sense. Please tell me they have a GOOD reason for a set up like this.
    "GOOD" reason? I can't come up with one, but the powers that be (a few senior officers) feel that everyone should know when someone is out and may need additional manpower or if you are on the bubble for a second call in someone elseís district. My feeling is that you are always on the bubble because a call can come in at any time, anywhere, and you may be training, eating, cleaning, sleeping... We donít stop any other activities when another house is on a run, so why interrupt sleep
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

(Previously posted as Hobbitt. Registered December '02,)

Forum Member

Default Ahhh Sleep is over-rated

I work Fulltime in a combination department - Assigned to the C Platoon {Monday - Thursday 1800-0600} - Not a bad gig usual downtime occurs after 2200 after my evening chours are done {Whatever the day staff didn't finish}

I work alone as the house chauffer / duty EMT so after 2330 the Station is usually quiet. -- Now the Sleep Thing. There are bunk-rooms in the station of which we {Career Personnel} are not allowed to use because of the lack of alerting systems on the third floor of the building - Company claims to be working on improving that. I fixed up an area on the second floor containing a couch and a small tv which I usually find my-self on after mid-night.

When All else fails and I usually end up in the first floor TV Lounge / Day Room on one of 8 recliners from 1am to about 5:30am unless a run comes in - Our mid-nights are generally slow so although we were never given actual permission to sleep the bosses know we do it and honestly don't care as long as the Calls get answered.

Thread Information