Thread: Sleep on shift

Forum Member

Default Sleep on shift

I was just wondering, how many hours of sleep do you normally get on a given shift?

Early Adopter

Arrow Some nights more than others...

Depends on when the calls come, eh?

Forum Member

5 hours, 18 minutes, and 26 seconds. Of course that was just a guess.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Back when I was a vollie with a combo dept and filled in for career guys taking time off.... about 1/3 of the time could sleep all the way until 0600 when it was time to get ready for shift change and go home. The remaining 2/3 of the nights would get one or two EMS runs, the occasional MVA or somewhat rare fire.

My current dept is all volunteer and much slower, so the question no longer applies today.

** edited my bad math out **
    Last edited by RLFD14; 08-23-2005 at 02:37 AM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

Default Sleep Time

8 hours
    2230 to 0630

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RLFD14
    Back when I was a vollie with a combo dept and filled in for career guys taking time off.... about 1/3 of the time could sleep all the way until 0600 when it was time to get ready for shift change and go home. The remaining 1/3 of the nights would get one or two EMS runs, the occasional MVA or somewhat rare fire.

My current dept is all volunteer and much slower, so the question no longer applies today.
    1/3 of the time you sleep
    1/3 of the nights you get one or two runs
    ==
    2/3

What happened to the other 1/3?

Forum Member

Our calls are 65% EMS, and usually we have one of our two ambo's shut down due to budget cuts, so if you are lucky enough to be on the ambulance, sometimes you get no sleep at all, usually 3-4 hours on a normal night.

Pumper time = sleepy time.

Have you ever noticed how good hot coffee tastes at 5AM when you haven't been to bed yet?

With nursing homes all over our district, we get just as many calls at 3AM that we do at 3PM.

I am surprised at the number of people who are "up" in the middle of the night. At 3 AM you would think most people would be asleep, but we see kids walking the streets, mothers cooking meals for people at 1-2AM on weeknights. I find it odd, but maybe I am just getting old!!! I am in bed usually by 11PM, but hey, to each his own.

MembersZone Subscriber

I remember nights we didn't turn a wheel and slept all night. Hit the rack at 11 then woke at 6 feeling beat to death. Went home to bed for 8 hours.

Other nights you'd run like every 20 or 30 minutes. Get maybe 2 hours all night and feel pretty fresh when you left.

Go figure. One house runs the next one doesn't, but you still hear the calls.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k3twpfire
    What happened to the other 1/3?
    LOL today is not my day for math. About 2 out of 3 nights we'd turn a wheel.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

Simply put 3-4 hours per night. Alot of the time less than that.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RLFD14
    LOL today is not my day for math. About 2 out of 3 nights we'd turn a wheel.
    Whew.. I thought it was NEW MATH!

Forum Member

Depends. If I have something planned to do the day after a duty day, like leave on vacation, a job at home that requires arrangements to be made ahead of time, something like that, I seem to get very little sleep. If I know I have nothing to do on the following day, or it's the day after Christmas and the family is still out of town so I know I can "catch up" if I need to, nobody in the house turns a wheel.

Forum Member

We are permitted to sleep from 22:00 till 06:30. How much do we sleep? Hard to say, it depends alot on people dialing 911 or not.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Talking

Don't wake that man (person) he's (/she's) working.

Forum Member

Exclamation Sleep

It is hard to really say.

I have slept in all night and then there were nights that I never hit the bed let alone got any sleep. A lot of running or working fire have kept us awake.

My guess, on an average, over the year, probably, but not more than 4 to 5 hours per night.

Our guys can hit the sack at 7 PM and should be out of bed by 7 AM.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Ummm let me think...... Ah yes I got a full nights sleep back in 91 perhaps it was 90..... I could remember if I was not so tired.

How about I just say on a good night we get less than none and on a bad night uggggh.
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Forum Member

I usually try to get to bed around 2000, then I get up around 0400 or 0430. That way I can work out when it is cool and have a shower, then I will get on the phone around 0630 because as a mechanic most of the people I need to call are back east anyway and if I wait till afternoon they have all gone home.

The real reason I go to bed so early though is I can get woke up to run a call 1 or 2 times during the night and still be fresh and good to go at 0630.

Birken

Forum Member

Our down time is from 2100 to 0600. Working in a triple house, a night in is a very rare occasion. Last day was one of those, wait a minute, except for that 2nd alarm apt building. Other than that one, we slept in.

Forum Member

Default Never!

I never sleep on shift.Not me!

However here is a photo of the Major catching some shut eye!
    Last edited by coldfront; 07-24-2007 at 10:32 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

MembersZone Subscriber

Never get any sleep...only get a little rest.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

We don't have an SOP for bunk times. Depends on when we feel like going to bed and getting up. However there have been several tours in a row with nothing, and many where we were up all night. About a month ago we were up all night, both nights on 3 straight tours. All strange and odd calls. No fires though
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

My last five years on the "Buggy" eight total. Last two and a half on engines six to eight depending on crash out time. Still some sleepless just depends.

MembersZone Subscriber

I like whoever said "Down Time" Unless we have scheduled training or a PR event, down time is any time between calls and some time after the fire house is picked up and the rigs are checked in (0900 or so). Oh yeah after breakfast too. We do however get a wake-up at 0700. I think I slept until 0720 this morning.

Early Adopter

Question Work Sleep v. Home Sleep

I've noticed that even when I do sleep through the night, it's not good rest. Work sleep seems to be only worth 1/3 of what home sleep would be good for.

Forum Member

Well, at my station is depends on what truck you're riding, as the engine and rescue catch more work. If on the Rescue, about 2-3 hours is a GOOD night. On the engine, 4 hours is a GOOD night. NEVER had a shift where I slept all night on those two trucks. I've had 2 or 3 nights where I've slept all night when on the ladder.

We don't get any sleep during the day either unless it is a Sunday...per SOP. Of course our SOP's are written by people that work 8-4 and don't have a clue about it. Yesterday as an example, in addition to running calls and station areas we pumped for 5 hours with three of our guys getting ready for the upcoming Engineers test practical next month.

Thread Information