Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: funny probie mistake

Forum Member

I can kind of beat that, Middle of the night call late summer -(I usually sleep in my boxers) hoped out of bed and into my bunker pants, head down to the engine and throw my jacket on head off the the fire. All routine right? Well we found a house with fire in the bedrooms (didnt sound like a real fire in the dispatch). Well everything is done and over with and I want to take off my pants and go down to boots, I did right infront of the media, forgot to put my uniform pants on before my bunkers. Thank god for editing!

i have seen my Company officer rip a shoreline out once and i know at my station it happens a lot, I also saw the aftermath of a guy that didn't see the door coming down as he was backing it into the bay

I led my own parade one year.

One of the Lt.'s called out sick, so we were short handed for a parade we were going to do. The other two people were 3 vehicles in front of me so they couldnt see me.

The truck in front of me broke down and it took a few minutes to move it. Since I never did this parade before, I was driveing along trying to catch up with the end of the parade. Well, the perverbial fork in the road came. And I took the wrong turn. Not only did I take the wrong turn.....but 4 other trucks behind me took it with me!!!!!!!!

Luckily I knew the town. I just sucked in my breath and kept the lights on and led the guys behind me on a short cut to the muster site. We arrived 10 minutes early!!!!!!

I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Default Nice job with the hydrant

R u Holland City or Holland Twp???

MembersZone Subscriber firetoole's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7013fyrfytr
    R u Holland City or Holland Twp???
    City station 2
    Smoke Detectors Save Lives!!!!

Forum Member

My very first interior fire I made was years ago and I was still in rookie school and we had not done our interior drills yet. Anyway, We get punched out and I was on first due truck with an officer I had not worked with yet. We get on scene to find a mobile home 50 percent involved. I jump off, grab the attack line, get to the door, make entry and the cheif asked my officer who was on the nozzle. He told him it was me and another new guy. Cheif tells him to go inside and pull us out and let another hose team go in ahead of us. So he comes in and taps me on the shoulder and tell me to pull out and go in secondary. So I back out and he pulls my partner out and takes his place and we go back in. We get half way down a smoke filled hallway and he taps me on the shoulder again (to tell me I was doing great and keep going) I assumed he was tapping me out again and turned around and handed him the nozzle.
    Wasn't funny at the time because I was .. well.. not happy and he thought I was bugging out.

Another Story. Recently, we got punched out to a possible structure fire. One of our probies gets to the truck still trying to get all of his stuff on and all of his stuff into the truck. Half way there and once he started to breath again, he hears something beating against the bottom of the truck. Sounded like someone trying to fight their way in through the floor boards. Once we made scene, he opened his door to find that his department issued radio was hanging out the bottom of the door by the mic wire. Needless to say, that radio is out of service.

MembersZone Subscriber firepimp's Avatar

The day I transfered to a new district Im standing around with the guys int he bay theres a basketball on the floor I kick it to another guy he kicks it back I kick it gaain well it gets air under it this time and takes out a window.

My old captain told me that 2 new probies get theyre first call the captain gets in the truck and waits and waits and wonders where the new probi's are , well he gets out to find out where they are theyre standing on the tail board he laughs and tells them to get the hell int he truck.

I was OIC in one of our trucks and were called out to a call I read off the directions to the driver as were getting close we get cancelled , I throw the map book in the back by the probis , well another call goes out to assist ems , the probis grab the book and theyre lookign at it Im liek do you guys know where were going theyre like yeah , so he looks up the map grid and tells us its way out in another area and Im thinkign to myself damn why are we getting diverted 2 miles out of our district , Im thinkign Im thinking , I grab the damn map book as we start pulling into the general area where he told us to go , low and behold he was looking at a tottally diff map grid , which was like 50f and we needed to be in 41e the only reason this happened is because 50f has a small 41e on it telling you to follow this road turn to 41e on it. needless to say we had map reading and driving skills that monday at training.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Forum Member

My very first fire call after getting issued my turnout gear,I made a similar mistake when I started dragging the LDH off the back step when we had two 50' sections rolled up on the officer's side of the engine.
    A year and a half,and many hours of training and improvement in my skills later,I still catch grief from the officer I rode with that day.
    You just drive on and try not to repeat your mistakes.That's all you can do.

Forum Member

And I thought *I* was the only one that had to re-set up his boots and pants after every single call.

Quote Originally Posted by Scothew
    Hah I think suspenders are the root of all things funny at a station.

My first call, was a fire call in which I hurry to the station, they are almost ready to pull out with the engine and are waiting on me. Someone had moved my turn out gear around and one of my suspenders was under my boot on the inside. I step in, yank the pants up and just about fall over when the suspender comes flying up between my legs. I think one of the guys started laughing and almost fell out of the truck.

Forum Member

We give out a plaque with a box of Skinner's spaghetti glued to it for the guy that made the most hilarious screw up of the year.I'm sure I'll be getting one soon now that I am trying to pretend that I know what i am doing on a fireground.

Quote Originally Posted by EngCo29
    Not my mistake here but,we pull up to a car fire in a pit, another engine was already there so we had to feed them,the FF on the other engine hooked our line into the wrong pipe,he connected it into the Main Bed discharge,when their engine was using a 2 1/2 line,so our driver/operator was told by the Chief who WASNT on the other engine to charge the line,well he did and man did it look like 5-Inch spaghetti,the minute he charged that line,all you heared on the raido was "Shut the f******* line down NOW!",so their 5 inch went everywhere.

Thread Information