Like Tree1Likes

Thread: funny probie mistake

MembersZone Subscriber

Default funny probie mistake

I showed up to a garage fire last week, and was told to hook up a hydrant well I took a quick look around and the only one I saw was like 200 feet away. So I started dragging the 5" all the way over to the freaking hydrant and got it hooked up just in time. (exactly the same time our pumper ran out of water)
    Well after I got back to the scene I caught a ton of crap from the old guys because there was a hydrant like 20 feet from the truck behind a tree.
    Just thought that was kinda funny.
    Smoke Detectors Save Lives!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

On a hot summer day, 15 years ago...

On our way to my first industrial fire, I was told to catch the hydrant about 300' before the fire. I jump out of the engine, grab the hose and cupplings, loop the hose around the plug and signal the engine to leave. Only to realise that I forgot the !"/$%? hydrant wrench!!!!

Sly

Forum Member

Many years ago, when you could ride on the back step, we were comming back from an alarm and there was a lone probie on the step (yes I know that was not right).
    We stopped at a traffic light and for some reason he got off the engine. We drove away.
    When we arrived back at the firehouse we were told the probie had called and said we left him at such and such intersection.

Forum Member

I ripped out a couple shorelines because I forgot to unplug the truck before leaving the station..... That was back before we had the Auto-Ejects......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

We have sliding doors on our 2 bay station, so while engine 1 was leaving, I slammed the door onto the side of the truck. I was in a rush to get the tanker out. No harm to the door, or the engine, but I am still reliving that one.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

I thought I'd mention that that was quite a while ago. The reason I don't make probie mistakes anymore is that I've moved on to more noble and glorious mistake making. Yup, when I screw up now, it's real clever, and usually gets honorable mention in the paper and at the selectmans meetings.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firetoole
    I showed up to a garage fire last week, and was told to hook up a hydrant well I took a quick look around and the only one I saw was like 200 feet away. So I started dragging the 5" all the way over to the freaking hydrant and got it hooked up just in time. (exactly the same time our pumper ran out of water)
    Well after I got back to the scene I caught a ton of crap from the old guys because there was a hydrant like 20 feet from the truck behind a tree.
    Just thought that was kinda funny.

Good story. I've been on calls where we've laid 4 or 500 feet of LDH only to discover the 20 ft. pony roll could have worked. Nothing like all the neighbours and kids on bikes asking " Why didn't you use the hydrant right here?"

Forum Member

lol the other day we had a call for a report of a strong odor of wires burning so im all packed up int he engine everything ready to go tell them i'll grab the can when we get off the truck. well we get all done on scene and the officer goes to me, since your a probie i'll let this one go, but normally, when we get a call for an electrical fire...... bring the dry chem can and not the water one. he then told me that if he saw an electrical fire for me to put it out with that can. lol.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77
    I ripped out a couple shorelines because I forgot to unplug the truck before leaving the station..... That was back before we had the Auto-Ejects......
    Been there, done that.....

Not about me, but a couple years ago we had one of our new members at a motor vehicle accident involving a sheriff's office unit. Driver was out of the vehicle, had some lacerations to the head with minor bleeding. I asked him to go get me some 4X4's....he came back with, you guessed it, cribbing....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

First fire call after joining up....

Hustled to the station, stepped into my newly issued gear, yanked the suspenders up, and found a previously unknown way to 'get the beans above the frank'.

Note to all probies reading this: After folding your bunker pants down to your boot tops, place the straps of your suspenders to the sidesof your boots - not between the boots.

Forum Member

haha done that plenty of times. funny thing is my pants are juust loose enough to fall down without the suspenders. so that was a fun call, running around and grabbing my *** the whole call.

Forum Member

Hah I think suspenders are the root of all things funny at a station.

My first call, was a fire call in which I hurry to the station, they are almost ready to pull out with the engine and are waiting on me. Someone had moved my turn out gear around and one of my suspenders was under my boot on the inside. I step in, yank the pants up and just about fall over when the suspender comes flying up between my legs. I think one of the guys started laughing and almost fell out of the truck.

HNFC FF/President

first call, alarm system at local liquor store. Run to the station, step in boots...notice suspenders inbetween boots. Finally get that situation taken care of, get on 2nd due. I start puttin everything on; helmet strap, fire gloves, the whole smack (minus air pack, only 14 at time) we recall...couldn't get the helmet strap undone...omg.

ordered to hook to a hydrant...couldn't get the cap off...need to remember "Lefty loosy, Righty tighty"
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdoddsjffhnfc
    need to remember "Lefty loosy, Righty tighty"
    lol why does everyone run into this problem? i thought they taught this to everyone in like 6th grade woodshop

Forum Member

Once you get the caps off, be sure to look at the direction to open the hydrant too. They are not all the same.

Forum Member

We were doing some training. Hydrant was down hill from the pumping engine. I thought that the driver had said that the keystone was closed. I poped the cap on the side of the hydrant to let the pressure off so that taking the ldh off would be easier. Well the keystone was not cranked off. By the time I got the cap back on, about 3/4ths of the tank had sprayed out of the hydrant.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Angry

Very early in career, squad call for unresponsive male in car at drive up atm machine.

Mistake made: ask slightly less new (translate: Know It All!) guy if it’s the bank south of the station and slightly less new guy says yes. Roll out and head south. B.C on radio says, " Squad 2, we're all going this way. Feeling of panic, turn around, confused look of motorists, slightly less new guy asks "didn't you spot the address on the map?”, use every bit of self control to prevent fist from colliding with slightly less new guy's face, catch up to rest of crew on scene, beg for forgiveness from B.C., Notice understanding look of B.C. realizing I was given bum info from slightly less new guy, find out Pt. is passed out drunk, return to station to receive ribbing from other guys.

Lesson learned #1: Most know it all's don't know it all. Lesson learned #2: spot everything on the map before getting in rig!
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

(Previously posted as Hobbitt. Registered December '02,)

Forum Member

Not my mistake here but,we pull up to a car fire in a pit, another engine was already there so we had to feed them,the FF on the other engine hooked our line into the wrong pipe,he connected it into the Main Bed discharge,when their engine was using a 2 1/2 line,so our driver/operator was told by the Chief who WASNT on the other engine to charge the line,well he did and man did it look like 5-Inch spaghetti,the minute he charged that line,all you heared on the raido was "Shut the f******* line down NOW!",so their 5 inch went everywhere.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz363
    Good story. I've been on calls where we've laid 4 or 500 feet of LDH only to discover the 20 ft. pony roll could have worked. Nothing like all the neighbours and kids on bikes asking " Why didn't you use the hydrant right here?"

I remember a few years back I had one of my drivers (not a probie by any means) do a similar thing. Seems his helmet kept slanting down over his eyes while he was running around getting the truck set up so he put it down somewhere safe..... on top of the hydrant he was parked in front of! He never noticed it and asked the next engine in to lay 500 feet of 5" from the next hydrant down the road!!

Forum Member

I had been on about 6 months. It was about midnight, and I had just gone to sleep about a half hour prior, so I was in that really crappy stage of sleep where if you wake up yer just completely dazed. Anyhow we're enroute to a report of a fire at such and such address, show up to the scene, nothing showing (not that I really could have grasped that as zonked as I was) and its a duplex. One side is open, lights on, occupants out, cop is just going to down on the other door of the duplex which is completely dark. I arrive to the front of the duplex with my trusty halligan, find the cop panting and pointing saying "get in there quick". Me being dazed and not really grasping the concept here, I tear this door to shreds, take two steps in the apt, only to have joe and jane doe running down the stairs screaming at me to get the F out of their house.

Mind you, I don't work in a very nice area, and I am very lucky they did not come down the stairs locked and cocked and ready to kill me..

Forum Member

I can kind of beat that, Middle of the night call late summer -(I usually sleep in my boxers) hoped out of bed and into my bunker pants, head down to the engine and throw my jacket on head off the the fire. All routine right? Well we found a house with fire in the bedrooms (didnt sound like a real fire in the dispatch). Well everything is done and over with and I want to take off my pants and go down to boots, I did right infront of the media, forgot to put my uniform pants on before my bunkers. Thank god for editing!

Forum Member

i have seen my Company officer rip a shoreline out once and i know at my station it happens a lot, I also saw the aftermath of a guy that didn't see the door coming down as he was backing it into the bay

Forum Member

I led my own parade one year.

One of the Lt.'s called out sick, so we were short handed for a parade we were going to do. The other two people were 3 vehicles in front of me so they couldnt see me.

The truck in front of me broke down and it took a few minutes to move it. Since I never did this parade before, I was driveing along trying to catch up with the end of the parade. Well, the perverbial fork in the road came. And I took the wrong turn. Not only did I take the wrong turn.....but 4 other trucks behind me took it with me!!!!!!!!

Luckily I knew the town. I just sucked in my breath and kept the lights on and led the guys behind me on a short cut to the muster site. We arrived 10 minutes early!!!!!!

I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Default Nice job with the hydrant

R u Holland City or Holland Twp???

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 7013fyrfytr
    R u Holland City or Holland Twp???
    City station 2
    Smoke Detectors Save Lives!!!!

Thread Information