Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    Don't forget the holidays we work, unless you are Jehova's Witness in which you don't care. And yes I can say that because I work with one.
    How clean does a fire truck need to be to go on a call? Polishing the chrome? Not every day. Well, I have polished our fire poles, on my own time.
    Time and a half or better for holiday's is great compensation for when you have to work them. And a Fire Truck needs to be as clean as clean can be to keep it seen and in top shape, doing it more then once a day when it has not left the house is stupid, but not doing it at all is even worse.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Time and a half or better for holiday's is great compensation for when you have to work them. And a Fire Truck needs to be as clean as clean can be to keep it seen and in top shape, doing it more then once a day when it has not left the house is stupid, but not doing it at all is even worse.
    Honestly DTM I have to disagree somewhat on the holiday issue. While I don't have any kids...I can't imagine any father wouldn't rather be a home with his kids on Christmas Morning or BBQing, or out on the water with the family on the 4th, than earning 1 1/2 time...also you might be unaware that everyone gets a holiday check every year so that yearly holiday pay is evened out and everyone gets the same regardless of the day one works. In our house the guys without kids always volunteer to work for the guys with kids. I know that is pretty common job wide.

As for cleaning the rig...Unless it gets completely filthy and we have the time & energy ours gets a bath once a week.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I don't get paid to sleep...I get paid to come and rescue you and your family from a fire or emergency at anytime of the day or night..in all types of weather. I am the insurance policy you hate paying for but are glad you have when you finally need to use it. I am sworn by duty to risk my life to one degree or another for your life and property.

On average that is 10.4365 times a day for me. If I got paid to sleep I could pick and choose what runs to take in...since I'm not paid to respond to fires at 0450!

You pay for Marines Sailors and Soliders year round regardless if we are at war or not...Are they paid to not kill anyone?

That whole concept that we are paid to sleep was probably started by some ignorant, ungrateful, shortsighted and bitter civilian or politican who has no concept of what we are here to do.
    Well said FFFRED.
    Last edited by TurdFergeson; 08-30-2005 at 06:43 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    While I don't have any kids...I can't imagine any father wouldn't rather be a home with his kids on Christmas Morning or BBQing, or out on the water with the family on the 4th, than earning 1 1/2 time...
    No kids that you know of .

MembersZone Subscriber

Default work days

I work at a major airport as a ARFF Firefighter, and we do the typical 8-5 work day also. Roll call, truck checks, surveys-inspections,ect. Lunch from Noon to 1pm (in a perfect world)then at 1-mandatory training until 3pm. Then from 3 to 5-mandatory workout. After 6pm lunch, then the day is ours to do what each individual pleases. Weekends are free for all.

Forum Member

A typical Work-Day for Us.....

Well it varies from day to day. I work for a combination department {Mainly Volunteer but there are 6 of us Fulltime Career Personnel on the roster}

We perform basic Janitorial Duties, Apparatus Checks, maintain the Ambulance as far as supplies and stuff...{EMS is our main job although we are firefighters when needed to drive or staff a piece of apparatus} We opperate 2 people on from 6am to 6pm on a 4 day on 4 day off rotation and My-Self Mon. to Thurs. from 1800-0600 and my opposite partener on Fri. - Sun. -- The Night People work alone hoping that Volunteers respond for the ambulance calls......Not an Issue I'll start here

I don't mind performing the basic janitorial stuff but a majority of the volunteers are absolute slobs including some of the chief officers and captains who are also the same ones that think we're paid too much, shouldn't have benifits {Yeah my whopping $36,000.00 a year salary is too much right ?} and this same majority thinks we should be constantly moving looking busy and cleaning up thier messes....Thank-God the Chief {Our Boss} is cool. He expects us to do what's in our job description and take it easy after the basic stuff is done.

Yeah the Night Staff sleeps {as do the day guys when oppurtunity knocks} I'm usually on the up-stairs sofa watching Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien before I drift off How can you not sleep especially at night, it's only human nature. Besides I've noticed I function better if I'm woken up from sleep than I am after being up 3/4 of the day and all night ... After-all my phiosophy is I'm paid for what I might have to do not what I'm doing 90% of the time when someone comes into the station.

Thumbs down

0730-1630 M-F & 0730 -1200 on Saturday with an hour for lunch M-F. All kinds of things each day. Equipment checks, inspections/walk thrus, training, cleaning the station, pub ed. Rigs must be clean at all time prior to 2100. Wash it more then once a shift? Been there, done that, many times.

Weekly duties such as cleaning windows, washing the boat (even if it sits in the station all week). Monthly duties such as back flushing pumps, waxing rigs & filpping matresses .

Yearly duties such as hose testing and removing all the grease from the aerial (so the mechanic can put more on). The county takes care of the hydrant system or we would be doing that to.

We have to "look busy" all the time. My department may just be the poster child for busy work. No sitting around or watching TV (untill 1630). Cant go to bed till 2000.

Stupid? Very. Does it effect our ability to funtion at 0 dark 30, sure it does. Does admin care? Absolutly not.

Oh, and did I mention our average of 6 calls per day per station on top of all this busy work.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information