Forum Member

Default "Tell me they didn't just say PLANE CRASH!"

Today was quite a day for me...one I'll never forget. I was supposed to be on my way to a cottage in the country, instead I end up incident commander at a plane crash...go figure? We were moved up with an engine company to cover Mercer County Station 81, who was out on a structure fire in Crawford County. Sure enough 81 get dropped for a plane down in a wooded area of a local state park. I am the riding officer on our engine....viola....my first plane crash. I had A LOT of great help from 5 heavy rescues, 4 truck companies, 3 birds, 2 engine companies and a tanker...along with countless EMS and police agencies. Godspeed to our two victims, may they recover quickly.

I am spent....brain fried...here's the story.

http://kdka.com/local/local_story_236145003.html
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

This one speaks of the plane being 80 feet in the air with entrapment...

http://www.wpxi.com/news/4891606/detail.html

E6511

Forum Member

E6511

Forum Member

Good Job Stayback, now go enjoy that cottage you deserve it!
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

I would have to say that working a plane crash is one tough assignment! We had one a couple of years ago with 3 fatalities. Two of them which we knew very well. This worse thing for me was that my brother is a pilot and the area that we were paged was flown by him on many occasions. Before I even got rolling good I called him on the cell phone..........oh how sweet it was to hear him answer!

Good job Stayback!

P.S. They don't have stop signs up in the air!
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

At least you guys knew where it was and could go straight there, that probably made the difference between life and death for the survivors. I know all to well how hard it can be to find an aircraft that disappears in the middle of nowhere.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    At least you guys knew where it was and could go straight there, that probably made the difference between life and death for the survivors. I know all to well how hard it can be to find an aircraft that disappears in the middle of nowhere.

That was one thing about our crash, we pretty much had good information on the crash site, but there were no survivors.....post crash fire.
    Last edited by arhaney; 08-25-2005 at 12:34 AM. Reason: D#$@ keyboard
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arhaney
    That was one thing about our crash, we pretty much had good information on the crash site, but there were no survivors.....post crash fire.
    yep, unfortunatly I've seen that a couple times as well. It's never good.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Hey SB, good work. I'm glad to hear that you were able to extact all occupants. WEll done my Friend. Now go get some good "Cottage Rest" LOL.

My friends at the Rescue Coordination Centre, Victoria are currently working a missing a/c case that just went "major" yesterday. The a/c went missing somewhere between Cranbrook BC, and Springbanks a/f, just outside Calgary, AB. When a SAR case goes major, that means the case has been active for a min 4 days.

Yesterday's news reported that there was snow in Banff, which is about 60 miles west of Calgary and its all very very tall mountains and isolated in the area they were flying through. Weather is being a real pain too.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Thanks guys...indeed it was one tough assignment. Some things I learned:

1. Planes don't always land on the ground...

2. Planes hung up in the trees are VEERRRYYY unstable.

3. You don't crib a plane.

4. You need A LOT of mutual aid.

5. Accountability works...even when you have 20+ teams working an incident.

6. I am never moving up to cover Station 81 again!! (j/king)

7. 99% of the media are extremely professional...1% SUCKS and will not listen to directions.

8. 100' platform trucks can be driven into the woods...as long as a clear path has been cut and the ground is level and dry.

9. I am never moving up to cover Station 81 again!!

10. If you have to pee 1/2 hour into a major incident...you will REALLY have to pee 5 hours into a major incident.

11. Helicopters are a wonderful resource.

12. When you have over 50 reporters and 100's of spectators, law enforcement officers are your best friends. They did a great job keeping people out of restricted areas. (except for the mutt from the Venango County newspaper that thought he could go past the fire tape.)

13. In the daylight hours when manpower is scarce...trip mutual aid and ask for specific companies from each...don't strip out all resources.

14. Trees with planes in them are quite springy.

15. A good dispatcher is worth her/his weight in gold. She did a GREAT job!

16. It takes a crane that is 60 miles away awhile to arrive on scene ( ultimately, we didn't have to use it)

17. My operations officer and high angle rescuers are aces in my book.

18. People can be waaaayyyy off in their estimation of where the plane went down.

19. Utility company bucket trucks (small, 4x4) can be a great resource when you need to trim tree branches to gain access to the plane.

20. Use ALL resources that work. (PennDOT front loader to clear tree debris, PennPower buckets, DCNR 4x4's...etc.)

21. I'll never move up to cover Station 81 again!!

E6511

Forum Member

Nice job... you may have earned exemption from "The Stop Sign Incident"

I remember mowing the lawn a couple summers back... nice sunny Saturday afternoon, no humidity.... beautiful. Pager goes off... Respond on the reported plane crash... heavy black smoke coming from the woods.

Needless to say, i left the lawn mower in the middle of the front lawn, jumped in my truck an headed out... I was LT(1st year LT I might add ) at the time and signed on accordingly. The update I got was "I'm got a couple calls on the plane, and now I'm taking numerous calls on the smoke"

I hear my rescue/engine sign on... tanker truck sign on... second engine sign on.... no other officer. I thinking the whole way there that of the 3 officers above me one of them is at every call... fire alarms, CO alarms, everything. Now, the sh#t sounds like its hitting the fan and I am solo, what's up with that!?!?

To make a long story short.... I was spared the plane crash experience as it turned out to be the local model airplane club combined with an illegal open burn on the neighboring property.

But I'll tell you what, your list is right on. We are not the busiest of companies, but everybody around knows that we get some WEIRD stuff happen in our town. You absolutely never know who or what you are going to need to mitigate an incident. I once brought my local water/sewer authority in with their vacuum truck (the one they clean storm drains with) for a construction worker stuck in a trench. I could hear it in the dispatchers voice that she thought I was nuts, but she didn't ask any questions and got me the truck I needed. I called her later to explain and she admitted she thought I was nuts since there was no water involved.

Go enjoy the vacation.... sounds like you earned it!

MembersZone Subscriber

Our "best" was just a few weeks after I had joined up. I was just on my way home when we got paged to "explosion somewhere near the powerline, west of TCH (TransCanada Hwy)." I had also just joined the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre that year, and knew what assets could be called on.

First I did was call the Office and ask if we had any missing a/c as it was very foggy/rainy and the airport is about 6 miles NE of 'home'. Nil report there at least - tower was not reporting lost a/c. When I explained what we were doing, the JRCC offered up a Labrador SAR helo, as there was one on trg flights near by.

Our Chief was still at work when he heard over the net that I had called in a SAR helo. He almost had kittens right there on the floor! eheheheehee

As it turned out, there was some logging going on over the west side of the ridge line, and they were blasting some new roads. But it was fun to be on the phone ground guiding the helo through the JRCC.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

There was a plane crash a couple years ago at the local small airstrip a few towns over. It was at night around 9pm in the fall so it was dark. Everybody was dispatched to the road that is across the road from the airport for a reported airplane crash. The first chief officer on the air asks dispatch "How does the caller know there was a plane crash?". He wasn't trying to be a smart ***, he just wanted to know what to expect. Dispatch replies "Well, the 911 caller reports she heard a loud crash and now there is a burning plane in her backyard." That was good for a chuckle that I think everyone needed to calm their nerves.

A small single engine plane lost it's engine and crashed into a house downtown last year. Both were DOA and it scared the crap out of the people in the house. I was definately an interesting event. First call to dispatch was from air traffic control stating that a plane had gone down "somewhere in the area of" this neighborhood. While the dispatcher was getting info from him, 911 lit up like a christmas tree from everybody living on the road. PD arrived first and gave the exact location, reporting a plane into the roof of a house. One thing learned at the incident.... we all know how to cut our way into a car, how the hell do you cut into a plane? Never done that before. Aviation fuel + Gravity = House flooding with aviation fuel.

The neighbor was on a ladder painting his house when he said something like "I heard this wooshing noise behind me, I turned around, and a plane came out of the tree tops and into the house!"
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good Job, Stayback...and you definitely deserve some extended cottage time!

If the plane was what it looks to be...an Ercoupe...you guys had an old aircraft with very little space to work with extrication wise on the ground, much less 80 feet up with bigtime stbility issues, making it an even more difinitive 'Good Job'!

And another rule I just thought of which may or may not have applied here...

'Hurst Tools were NOT designed to be transported up and operated from trees...'

Rob

Forum Member

Sounds like you guys did a great job, Brother!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I was a part of 1 plane crash as a medic in the Army. It was a military jet out on maneuvers during a joint military exercise. The guy knew hew was going down and according to eye witnesses pulled up at the last second to miss an entire company of troops on the ground. If he wouldn't have done that we would have probably had 50-100 casualties, and instead we had 1, the pilot.

Wreckage was everywhere, when we pulled up there was a Physicians Asst. in the field with the troops and he pronounced, so we didn't really have to do much other than keep everyone out of the area and wait for the M.E. to arrive.

Very weird feeling to be involved with a plane crash.
    Last edited by FireAndy; 08-26-2005 at 09:52 AM.
    EMT-B
    Garfield Twp. Fire Department
    http://www.garfieldfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

As I recall a B-1 dropped out of the sky in Western Kentucky a few years ago. It can happen anywhere.

Odd to find this in the off-duty forums. There's a lot to be learned here. Thanks for sharing StayBack.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

This is a great thread with lots of good things worth knowing, thanks for all the input, guys!
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

IACOJ BOD

Way to go big guy. Great Job.

Treemendous even.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hey Stayback!......................

Just for the Record: Do you plan on filling Station 81 again??

OK, Just thought I'd ask..............

Obviously I'm not the Incident Commander at all of them, but we manage to average a Plane Crash per year here. With several "small plane" Airports in the area, (8 in a 20 mile circle) it seems that you can't look up without seeing one. Then, add to the Mix, the traffic patterns for BWI and Wash National and Dulles International, as well as Anderws AFB, Bolling AFB, Washington Naval installations and all the Helo traffic and the sky is as busy as the Beltway. One thing that I think will contribute to a crash sooner or later is the number of News helicopters in this area, 5 at last count. Then there are 8 Medivac Choppers, one of which crashed in the Potomac River last winter, killing 2 of the 3 on board. Never a dull moment............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

WOW thats good info to have in the back pocket.

Thread Information