Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

So, should police officers not use lights and sirens to respond to high priority calls, such as Assaults, etc. since they can get there quicker without them?

I totally agree with the training issue. Everybody, regardless of what type of vehicle is being driven needs to be trained in the operation of an emergency vehicle. This training needs to also stress what can happen to you in case of an accident with the possibility you could go to jail.

This is a huge responsibility that should not be taken lightly.

But I disagree on responding to incidents that you can get there just as fast in without lights, I know we can't get through traffic on I10 after a wreck if we don't have them.

Forum Member

Firemedic, no, officers should be allowed to use lights and sirens if it will result in their arrival at a serious incident faster. My experience was related to unmarked cars, not marked units - just as I put in my post. If you ever have the chance, spend a year or two in an unmarked police car, comparing modes of travel.
    The officer needs to consider traffic conditions, weather, road surface, urgency of call, and other factors before he/she decides if lights and siren are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by trytobeatfire
    Can anyone tell me what is the best emergency light for my personal vehicle?
    First does your state allow emergency lights for POV's, second how far is your response? did you repond to the station or to the scene? Do you really want to add lights to your POV?

I had strobes on my last POV, I live only five blocks from my FD's station but have a 50 mile response for a task force response depending on the part of state it's in......I just brought a newer POV and I have done the best thing in the terms of emergency lights I placed none on it, I have no need for them anymore nor do I need the stress of thinking about getting hit by someone while they are on. I just take my time and I can make the first if not the second out piece.

If your set on buying a emergency light go for a kojack light you get a nice highly visible light that people can't miss, stobes and L.E.D.'s are directional and can be missed at intersections
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

We need to send mini-me on a mission to infiltrate the whacker corps and send them to the moon!!!
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTF1Bowman

If your set on buying a emergency light go for a kojack light you get a nice highly visible light that people can't miss, stobes and L.E.D.'s are directional and can be missed at intersections
    Any good source for a magnetic 'Kojack' light?
    Thoughts on a drop shape lens/cover?

Saw these at strobes n' more site. Don't know if they're magnet attached.
    http://strobeguy.safeshopper.com/100/2351.htm?295
    http://strobeguy.safeshopper.com/100/2352.htm?295
    Simple, high, centered and 360 deg.

My POV is currently lightless. Another dept. member said "you really need to get a light". My answer was "Why"?
    Grudgenly looking for a light.

3 Mars lights.

2- regular red bulbs
    1- 100-150 watt Aircraft Landing light

***I've heard stories of this setup on a rescue years ago. They took out the landing light and put in a new light for the obvious resoning***

Disclaimer: This is an example and nothing more. I am not advocating the use of Mars lights on vehicles or aircraft landing lights for anything other then their designed purpose.

"LUDACRIS SPEED!!!" (not in your POV!!!!! )
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 03-04-2006 at 11:52 AM.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

DO NOT put a magnetic light on your car while it is in motion! I know several LEO's that tried that - every one had the light fall off and/or scratch the paint! Ruins the light (of course).
    Keep it inside the car (I use a bit of fluffy velcro on the dash, hooks on the bottom of the light, cover to keep the light out of my eyes), until you come to a complete stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    DO NOT put a magnetic light on your car while it is in motion! I know several LEO's that tried that - every one had the light fall off and/or scratch the paint! Ruins the light (of course).
    Keep it inside the car (I use a bit of fluffy velcro on the dash, hooks on the bottom of the light, cover to keep the light out of my eyes), until you come to a complete stop.
    Do you mean attaching it to the roof while in motion, or attaching at a stop then driving?

Forum Member

Let me make this clear: Do not drive over 5 MPH on a paved road with a magnetic light on the exterior of your car and expect it to stay in place! 1 MPH off road. We ruined 15 -20 "Kojack" lights when officers tried to use them on the outside of the car.
    If any saleman says "Our's will stay put", ask to try it - on his car!

Forum Member

WEBTEAM please make a POV section so the whackers can have their conversations.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Prepare the forum for a light thread! Fasten all seatbelts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the three ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo!
    "How many @$$holes we got on this ship, any how?"
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

Forum Member

Not enough, it hasent sinken yet.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMikey
    WEBTEAM please make a POV section so the whackers can have their conversations.
    Wow....who died and put you in charge of all things fire related??

Callin people whackers.....

Yeah...your into helpin people.....

Relax dude.....if ya wanna be King of all forums.....start your own webpage!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMikey
    Not enough, it hasent sinken yet.

Not to be an arse, but its SUNK.
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 04-05-2006 at 04:38 PM.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Wink Useless posting

Hey Capt Mickey- every post I see from you it is insulting someone elses post- sorry your life is so dull. Post something useful or stay off the boards please !

Forum Member

HEY NEWBIE, if you dont like it, dont read it. Plus, why dont you go around and post that message to all who insult others, if your going to start combating useless posting, do it across the board, not to one individual.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Im also going to ask you to please learn to read, and spell my name the right way.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

I do apploigize if I came across as insulting, but I have a very strong stance against responding in pov's. I have known 2 voly ff's in northern missouri who have died responding in pov's. And it makes me sick every time I hear about a firefighter killed responding in their pov's. If we are going to combat the high number of preventale deaths, we need to start at the most simple problem. The other reason why my stance is what it is, is because of the high numbers of volunteers who I have seen running hot to medicals, hazmats, and controled burns.

The worst incident happend last year in june. I was almost run off the road in saint claire county missouri on MO Highway C 12 miles east of MO highway 13. And the idiot pulled off so he could get back behind me and pass me again. The kicker was that he pulled into a drive way of a house and got out, when I came back from clinton, he was still there, no fire, no emergency.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

So Mikey, you are saying that just because you had a bad experience with some tool on the road, that means every volly or POC across the country should not use lights on their POV's? They are all whackers?

For others that don't agree:
    I can't speak for the rest of the volly or POC guys (generic term) but I would imagine that the vast majority of them take every precaution feasible and try to ensure that they conduct themselves in a professional manner while responding to a call. I know that I do. In my area of response, without the lights, it can take anywhere from twice to three times as long to reach the station or the scene.
    Now, I am not saying that there aren't some out there that blatantly disregard the safety and well-being of everyone on the road, but I will say that, IN MY DEPARTMENT, that type of action will be cause for summary dismissal.

Please give your brothers the benifit of the doubt. They may be in this job for the same reason as you (to help others).
    Stupid People.......Providing Job Security to Public Safety Professionals for ........forever

Forum Member

That was the worst run in I have had. I lost count on how many I have seen in this year alone.

Im not saying that all people with pov lights should stop. I am saying that major changes need to take place that govern who can and who cant use pov lights. Penalties need to be strengthend and enforced.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Thread Information