Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Best emergency light?

Can anyone tell me what is the best emergency light for my personal vehicle?

No lights at all.

Forum Member

Wink lites

Assuming that you are on a volunteer department and responding then I would suggest either the Whelen hidden strobes in the front and rear lights or a strobe bar. If you can afford it then go with LEDS.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Oh, God.....here we go again.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

DING DING DING!!!! Round 8,456,159,123,378,189

PS...... If you really want to talk about Lights on POVs, try a search......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Arrow

Another who has no idea what he has done ............where does it stop ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Prepare the forum for a light thread! Fasten all seatbelts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the three ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Oh man.... but go easy on him, you guys. We've all posted something without searching before, we were all newbies once.... and you never can tell when someone posts this topic in a sincere manner and is not trying to be a whacker.

As my wife always tells my kids... "Assume a positive intention".

trytobeatfire, please tell us what type of department you are on, how many calls the department handles annually, how many people are on the department, your level of training, your years of experience, and possibly even what kind of POV you drive, and we will have a much better handle on how to answer your question.

The rest of you guys, easy now! LOL....
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

*cough*search*cough*

Forum Member

NMfire, I have three words for you:

SPACEBALLS, THE MOVIE

Yes, I drive at ludicrous speed!

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trytobeatfire
    Can anyone tell me what is the best emergency light for my personal vehicle?
    It is a courtesy light, not an emergency light.

That said, blue lights are worthless.
    FTM - PTB

Actually they are not lights at all, they are dark suckers.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

"You do that!I'm gonna walk around here in a circle!"

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Prepare the forum for a light thread! Fasten all seatbelts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the three ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo!

Forum Member

Another "History of the World, Part I" Fan here!

"And you! Run, with Mucus"

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    "You do that!I'm gonna walk around here in a circle!"
    "They've gone Plaid Sir!"
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

I interrupt this review of Mel Brooks Movies to return to the original thread:

Without lots of EVOC training, and a mature understanding of what liability concerns you face, the best plan is :

NO LIGHTS, DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT, and accept the fact that you may miss some calls.

I have 27 years driving unmarked law enforcement cars (which had red lights & siren concealed), and have taught EVOC. When my pager tones go off, I drive at the speed limit, without any emergency lights. Why? Because, with full liability insurance from my (former) agency, we found that you can acutually go faster without lights & siren.

With lights (and siren), people:
    A) stop in the travel lane,
    B) slow down in the travel lane,
    C) pull to the right,
    D) pull to the left(?),
    E) Slam on the brakes and put their car/truck sideways across the road
    F) Wreck right in front of you, creating more work and danger for everyone.
    (Over the years, I had folks do every one of these things in front of me!)

Without the backing (Lawyers, deep pockets, lots of money) of a large agency, you stand to lose your job, your home, and your freedom. All this, just to get to the station?

No thanks, I'll miss some calls before I risk killing someone to get on the truck.

Now, Back to Mel Brooks, "..For we have the power of mighty joint!"
    Last edited by Sleuth; 10-04-2005 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    we found that you can acutually go faster without lights & siren.
    In addition to your list, when you've got a light on everyone knows you're a firefighter (or cop as the case may be). W/O the light you're just another a-hole driving too fast. Enough people see you with the light they'll complain and with a pretty rough description of your POV it'll come back to you, where as w/o the light they need a tag#.

"Whats the matter Col. Sanders? Chicken?"
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    I interrupt this review of Mel Brooks Movies to return to the original thread:

Without lots of EVOC training, and a mature understanding of what liability concerns you face, the best plan is :

NO LIGHTS, DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT, and accept the fact that you may miss some calls.

I have 27 years driving unmarked law enforcement cars (which had red lights & siren concealed), and have taught EVOC. When my pager tones go off, I drive at the speed limit, without any emergency lights. Why? Because, with full liability insurance from my (former) agency, we found that you can acutually go faster without lights & siren.

With lights (and siren), people:
    A) stop in the travel lane,
    B) slow down in the travel lane,
    C) pull to the right,
    D) pull to the left(?),
    E) Slam on the brakes and put their car/truck sideways across the road
    F) Wreck right in front of you, creating more work and danger for everyone.
    (Over the years, I had folks do every one of these things in front of me!)

Without the backing (Lawyers, deep pockets, lots of money) of a large agency, you stand to lose your job, your home, and your freedom. All this, just to get to the station?

No thanks, I'll miss some calls before I risk killing someone to get on the truck.

Now, Back to Mel Brooks, "..For we have the power of mighty joint!"

As much as I am a fan of lights/sirens (i just like them) I do agree with you 100% about no lights/sirens will get you there JUST as fast. Especially on NJ's open parkways/highways. I love the sound of a siren and the flashing lights, it gets the adrenilin pumping. I used to love driving in NYC with my lights/sirens going, BUT, PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS. They have NO IDEA how to drive with emergency vehicles ont he road. Its not hard folks. PULL TO THE RIGHT or in nyc CLEAR THE CENTER LANE. Yet people panic and cause more of a problem then you had before.

So yeah i agree with ya, despite how i love lights.

ut to answer the orig poster, check out www.strobesnmore.com i get my stuff there. A single/dual LED mounted dash light will do good. I personally own the Predator II which is a nice light. I'm a whelen fan but the predator is a good product. It feels sturdy and installed very easily. Suction cupped to my window, has never fallen off since I put it in earlier this year.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

So if no lights get you there faster, all firetrucks and ambulances should not be able to activate their red lights unless they are in park?

While going down the road they should not be able to use their red lights?

Also, should police put a police in place to only use their lights when blocking traffic, or trying to pull someone over?

We have a very good public advisement program that helps educate people on what to do when approached by an emergency vehicle. We have seen a better response to people approached by an emergency vehicle.

And also, in Texas at least, any vehicle utilizing red,blue, green, purple, whatever since state law doesn't determine light color, that is responding to a medical call or fire/fire alarm, or patrol car in the course of their duties are considered emergency vehicles and are afforded all rights and privileges of same.

The also have the same burden to exercise due care and regard to public safety and can be held accountable for any accidents that arise as a result of their behavior.

Forum Member

Firemedic, there is a vast diference between driving an unmarked law enforcement car, and a BRT (Big Red Truck). In my unmarked car, I could weave through traffic, something unlikely to be done in a BRT, lights or no lights. And, if you look, LEO's frequently don't turn on their lights until they are in position to pull someone over.

Thread Information