MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Tool Shopping

Howdy Brethren!

Our agency has begun a bidding of sorts for new (or the same ; AMKUS) hydraulic tools. Anyone done recent comparable testing? Some local (Washington State) supplier is touting the "Centaur" system over its competitors. Any rants or raves on recent finds? I have been happy with Amkus for many many years and would need to be convinced to change, but am willing to do so for a better , more reliable , durable tool. Hook me up brothers. websights, comparables, photos, vendors, etc... The sooner the better so I can have my research done.

Thanks

Be Safe.

Fraternally, Jordan Sr.
    Last edited by NB87JW; 08-25-2005 at 06:38 AM.
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our dept just completed a costly and extensive hydrualic tool upgrade test program complete with tester questionaire and all the major vendors participating over a one day show and tell, it was as fair as you could get for testing the same cutter, spreader etc, we made the exact same cuts on door hinges in the exact same positions on 4 identical 2005 Chevy Venture vans. Our main focus was on the cutters since that's where we seem to run into problems with today's high strenght steel area's in vehicles. The people doing the testing was our own firefighters, with the vendors there just to answer questions and set up their tools and only offer technical info about their product. For more infomation of our findings, contact me via private message and I will explain the test more in detail.

Forum Member

NB87,We too are looking at systems and have field tested several recently.One key factor in the process shold be:Who's going to take care of you AFTER the sale? Personally all the brand name tools do the job for me. Some have neat little differences to make the job easier but it comes down to what the troops like to use,how far away is service,do they have a "loaner"if your tool goes down etc.My advice: Try to narrow your choices down to say four brands and do like Firedog suggests,same job on the same vehicle. Then choose the system that you can get the best service on that works for you.All the "new"tools are great,I started with early hydraulics,todays offerings are much more powerful and much faster.Oh,and good luck,choosing won't be easy. T.C.

Forum Member

Everyone here has the right idea. But when I think of tools three names come to mind. Hurst, TNT, and Holmatro.

I love Hurst because they were the innovator, the first. And their stuff is blockbuster solid, and the customer service is top notch. And it's what we have for tools, so I know them well.

TNT, I have only used their stuff twice, but absolutley love it, fell in love with it the first time I used it. A bit more innovative than Hurst, lighter, and operates at a higher PSI. First stage is 5,500 Second is 10,500psi I think. I'd place them on the same pedestal with Hurst.

Holmatro. Good tool, their new single hydraulic line is a big step, will make life cleaner and easier to operate in, and around the hot zone. As well as the new iBolt system. Overall it's a quality tool, and will only get better.

But, pick a few, evaluate, and then decide. And look at ALL aspects of the tools, manufacturers, and capability. You also need to look at some of the construction in the new vehicles, One of the new Mercedes Benz cars has Boron A-Posts. The new Corvette Z06, lots of magnesium. But your also going to start seeing lots and lots of hardened steel. We bought a new Hurst cutters two years ago, and we will probably be buying a new one within a year just to keep up with technology. Research, Research, Research
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Like everyone else said, do your own tests. Get all of the ones you are looking at there at the same time. That way Salesman A can't bash Salesman B's product without something to back it with because Salesman B will rpove him wrong. We liked this approach because it keeps them all honest.....

And don't leave the Genesis System out, either........ Made by American Rescue Technologies. They are very nice tools........ We've had them for about 5 years and don't have any complaints.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

American Rescue Tools or ART does not manufacture the Genesis Tool, Weber Hydraulics in Austria makes the tools. ART may manufacture their rams but the cutters and spreaders come from Austria.

Forum Member

So what? Holmatro is a Dutch Company. What does where the tools are made have to do with this thread? Do you watch T.V. ? Do you know that there are NO T.V.'s made in this country? Anyone can sell you a tool. It all comes down to the Training and service that you recieve. AFTER the sale. And yes to the next question , I sell Genesis tools

Forum Member

Holmatro has SISTER company that is Dutch. The tools are engineered and manufactured in the U.S.
    Where the tool is made IS important. First and Foremost, buy American. But really, get something that is made here, where you can contact the manufacturer if there is and issue. It is not even unheard of to visit the plant and see how the production process takes place.
    The tools should last 20 years, so do the research like the others have said.

Forum Member

I teach vehicle rescue classes all over our state and after many years I have come to the conclusion that ALL tools are equal (some better in some areas than others, but overall equal). The criteria I would use is 1) best price (bang for buck) 2) best service (who will be there when you need them).
    John E. Burruss, NREMT-P
    Heavy-Technical Rescue Instructor
    Virginia Department of Fire Programs

Forum Member

Not a SISTER company- Same company.

Forum Member

Vehext,Didn't I mention that earlier? I'm in total agreement,all have a widget but all will access the vehicle. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 08-31-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GKLAUS
    Not a SISTER company- Same company.
    Need to do your homework, we did. Two independant entities, not even run the same, even offer some diff. equipment.

Buy American!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Default TNT Tools

TNT has a competitive price, the best warranty(lifetime on everything including tips and blades), and very good customer service.

When it comes down to it all these tools will cut a hinge and spread a door...Its what they were designed to do. The question is what company will step in to take care of the rescue personnel after the sale.

Made in America.

~Luke, Marshfield Vermont

Sta22BeaverCoPA
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sister, Aunt, Uncle, Company whatever. The Holmatro plant in the Netherlands is the original company established in 1967, probably about the same time George Hurst was hooking the big spreader onto the back of his wrecker. George was first in the USA, but Holmatro was developing in Europe. Holmatro was the first High Pressure (10,500 psi) tool on the market back in 1975. Not sure of the exact date (1978) but Holmatro was being imported into the USA thru a Pittsburgh company. In about 1987 Holmatro began manufacturing in Maryland due to the high demand. Then in the 1990's (early) they built their own free standing plant in Glen Burnie, MD. Made in USA yes, Hurst made in USA yes. (Sony builds televisions in PA), but it doesn't make the tools outside the USA inferior, there are good rescue tools still imported, Genesis, Centaur, etc.

So its back to testing the tools you like, run them thru their paces, narrow it down to 2 or 3, bring them all in head to head, make notes and then make your decision.
    Some are heavy, some are light, some make the cut, some talk the cut (walk the walk...etc). Be sure what you buy, as was already said, these tools will probably be around for 20 years and you want the service required to keep them running. Yes tools will be phased out as time goes on, parts get more expensive to make so the tools will have the expiration point. Look to the future, see whos making the advances and take it from there.

Thread Information